What a great 4200 - and a great price.

philw696

Fairplay to Paul the organiser as it went A1 yesterday i was upo and down like a yoyo with those ramps but we were in a nice spot and our cars made a good attraction.
Knew i had done it today though and roll on our next gathering.

philw696

Looking forward to that and finally meeting Andy.
Hope your feeling better as i did go looking for you yesterday on my numerous walk abouts.

Andyk

Nice to know I was missed Phil....If I was there you would have seen me as I would have made a bee line to to you lot.....and thanks much better now....

marcos

Peter, what will you be driving to Le Mans???

That car is a bargain though (as was mine thinking about it!).

It has also been driven by me, for one lap of Castle Combe to help position it for pictures, which will probably help it meet it's price ;)

Last edited:

Catalan3200

If only business was slightly less volatile at the moment. SO want to get back in a Maserati but can't justify the running costs right now. Looks lovely though & knowing that Emblem had just given her a service makes it that much more tempting. Seems the CL500 will be in my paking space for some time yet though.

Andyk

It is just the running cost without a doubt...Such a shame as its just so little to buy but as with you can not justify the cost to run...

Parisien

...sure petrol is dear.........seemingly........but its the maintainence/something breaks.................in one year could possibly spend 1/2 cost of a £14K car....petrol only going to cost £1500 if you do 5K miles a year.

P

Catalan3200

Petrol isn't the issue it's the "what if's". My 3200 was generally very reliable but there was ALWAYS something that needed replacing, either at service times or unexpectedly. Parts that last a lifetime on mass produced cars appear to be "consumables" when you get into exotica territory. Wishbones, steering racks, throttle bodies, et al. Unless you are sure that you can replace worn out items as they are required you're simply going to be adding to the pool of very dodgy Maseratis out there. The fact that they are so inexpensive to buy is in my opinion the main reason that there are some dogs out there. When you're an old bugger like me (50+) insurance is no problem either - even if premiums are rising at an alarming rate.

Let's just hope that there are enough good's left out there when I do buy again.

Good luck with the sale. There must be someone out there who can take the running costs.

Catalan3200

Oh ... And the "consumables" that you expect to pay for, clutches, brakes (pads & discs) are just sooo much more expensive than expected. Thanks to some great independents out there, servicing is no more than for a newish German exec. I used to fret about damaging a boomerang light cluster though - eye-watering replacement cost.

If it wasn't for David Askew and others with their magical throttle-body refurbs,
(and enthusiast forums like this) the part from Eurospares was £1700 + VAT (gulp)

But by god I want another!!!!

Parisien

Catalan...we've addressed the brakes issue........taking on the clutch pressure plate issue too, the pump is 1/4 the original Maserati price, servicing is no dearer than a BMW with an indie or price matched main dealer, things are a lot better for older 3200s and later 4200s than they were 4 yrs ago!

P

RonnieMack

Hi All,
I've been following this thread and I'm really surprised at the price drop recently for Maserati in particular. Yes, they are exotic and can be expensive to maintain but so are many other cars which are nowhere near as exciting. I've never seen Safranes' car in the flesh but have read his many informative posts over the years and it's plain to see that the car has been fastidiousy kept and is an absolute steal at that price.I advertised my car a couple of months back and got plenty of interest from the trade but very little from private buyers. It'll be interesting to see how this year pans out.
Cheers
Ronnie

safrane

Tears will flow on Sunday when she drives away for the last time. New owner is only 5k from me, so I may see it about from time to time. Garry has been told of the site, so I hope he will say Hi in time.

Last edited:

RonnieMack

I defy any enthusiast to not have a lump in their throat when the car that they've put heart and soul into for the previous years , drives away. I know it's irrational but it still happens every time.
Regards
Ronnie

conaero

Forum Owner
Well good cars always sell fast Peter so you should be proud of that at least.

What does the future hold for you car wise? In time another Maserati or would you go for something else????