New Apple iPhone X

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Starting from £999, yes from £999.
Although we have a few iPads in the house (kids), and my daughter an old iPhone 5, after my old iPhone 3G died a few years ago, i'm an Android guy.
No way would I spend a grand on a phone!!

iainw

I am a bit of an Apple addict having an iPhone 7+, iPad mini, apple watch, iPad pro + pen, macbook retina, mac mini + 4 27 inch screens - but I wouldn't spend 1000 on a phone!

conaero

Forum Owner
Another hands up Apple fan. I stuck with them from the late 80's.

All the way through the dark 90's.

I buy the latest iPhone new and outright every 3 or 4 years.

This new X is at the point I will replace my trusty 6 plus and yes, I will fork out the grand 4 it and again keep it 3 or 4 years. Ok a grand is a lot but I get so much use out of it, it's worth it for me, plus I get the VAT back so not so painful.

rockits

A grand on a phone....chuffin nora!! I need to say that again....a grand on a phone.

I can't remember the last time I spent a grand on anything other than a car...oh excluding a Maser service or repair of course!

Jkulin

I change my iPhone every other year and buy it outright, last year I bought a 7+, and I usually hand my old phone down to my wife as she really doesn't care what she uses as she only uses whatsapp, text and calls.

But next time she doesn't want the 7+, so I will probably keep it 3 years and then change, its a business tool primarily so it has to function and I like the integration with all my other apple stuff.

rockits

I buy my phones but stick to Android & have an HTC 10 at the moment. Cost was about 350 ex VAT I think from HTC direct with a nice voucher code & Quidco cashback. I started life as an Apple engineer & like many of products. Just choose not to give the dirty manipulating so & so's my cash.

rockits

I'm still trying to rack my brain to work out the last time I spent a grand on something. Nothing comes to mind yet!

beau

I want one, and price is fine imo, i spent £1000 insuring my Maserati for a year and I hardly drove it, the phone will get ALOT of use, so I'm happy, for something I use every day for hours, it will be good value for money

alfatwo

I just don't understand all this new mobile phone stuff, and why would you need it... my phone is plugged into the wall socket and it works just fine thanks!

Dave

rockits

I can understand the need
...times change & people's requirements change. I just can't get my head around a grand. There is a LOT of margin in that. Are they not content with being one of the richest companies in the world. Giving something back to the people would be more useful.

I have just cancelled my analogue line in the house as it is rubbish. Crossed lines, interference, fax calls & I call home & get a fax answering...we haven't even got one at all let alone connected!

Technology solutions is my business so the house is on SIP now the same as both offices. Much better. The copper in rural areas is just to long, too old and too poor in most cases.

zagatoes30

For something that is used everyday a grand doesn't seem that silly and in reality if linked to my contract which it will be I won't pay that out upfront. Both 8 & X have come very quickly and my 7 is only 12 mths old so I will wait until summer next year to upgrade.

Wack61

Just wait a few weeks, only the fanboys queuing from midnight so they can open the box at 12:01 pay that kind of money, once they start appearing on contract they'll be for sale at £600 or so in a sealed box

I've had Samsung since the S4, can't see me ever changing back to apple, picked up a S8+ for £500 within a week of launch from sphock

conaero

Forum Owner
It will sell strong, we all know that these must have gadgets always do.

TBF, its more than a phone. If you look at the iPad pro, thats a grand and there is no more computing power in that than the X, in fact the X is 50% faster.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Apparently they have made £ and $ prices the same, so that's another immediate 25% margin, thieving ba5tards. I'll stick to Samsung.

rockits

Used to be worse than that. In the late 80's I think the $ & £ Apple pricing was the same when it was 2 dollars to the pound!

DaveT

They are undoubtedly lovely pieces of kit, beautifully made. I've tried one of the iPhone 6 (I think) and have to say I was impressed.
Got to hand it to them with the way they can persuade people to feel its a must have and they should pay top dollar. Wish I know their secret!

I just happen to be a long term Samsung user and the only thing that pisses me off with Apple is the continuous myth about Samsung stealing Apple ideas as if it's a one way thing.

iPhone X has OLED screen, wrap around full screen, wireless charging and no home button - Great. All things I have had on my Samsung for ages.

That's without this ad which came out when Samsung were having success with much larger screens when Apple told us we didn't need them....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O99m7lebirE

Wonder how that went?