GS rocker cover gasket

EnzoMC

did a search and seen some hits on the subject of rocker cover gasket on the coupes and seen a figure from Matt of £125 ? gasket on euro spares is ~£30 each

I had the gasket replaced about 2 years ago which is less than 10,000 miles, wouldn't expect it to go so soon ?

are these easy to change as I've been quoted £300 per side. I've replace these on vauxhalls, opels, fords which were easy but if I do this and F it up - its a totally different ball game.

CatmanV2

I was talking to Feli about this only yesterday. Or more accurately he was talking to me. Gasket shaming, I think they call it on the news. Anyway, he reckons 2-3 hours tops. So that's £180 plus VAT.

The gaskets are available for <£30 a side unless you buy the 'kit' which is *£300* for the pair! Stunning value!

I was thinking about the early failure. The old Alfa twins cams where the same as is the V6 busso. I wonder if it's to do with the comparative thinness of the cover meaning it flexes more than the rather more solid head. Probably more one for Zep or DrewF who give a good impression of understanding these things :)

C

EnzoMC

I was reading your thread on the subject back from 2013 but no further update on what happened ? did you get these replaced ?

hang on £30 a side or £300 for the kit ? what else is included in the kit ?

CatmanV2

I was reading your thread on the subject back from 2013 but no further update on what happened ? did you get these replaced ?

hang on £30 a side or £300 for the kit ? what else is included in the kit ?

Nope going to get them done at the end of the month. As far as I can tell there's nothing else in the kit. Newton's view (as we were chatting earlier) is that the kit comes in a Maserati box

The individual ones are

Kit:
"Consists of 189726 & 189725 "

189726 is a RH Head cover gasket at £106 so who knows WTF is going on.

C

Zep

I Probably more one for Zep or DrewF who give a good impression of understanding these things :)

C

I can pretend with the best of them!

If it is anything like the problems we have with compressors it is most likely due to over tightening. As the bolts are a different material than the heads and covers they get tighter as they warm up, taking up the give in the gasket. If it starts off too tight it crushes the gasket eventually causing leaks. This is probably at the back of the engine where the bolts are harder to reach and so more likely to be over tightened if being done up without a torque wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

voicey

You need to be super careful ordering from Eurospares - they carry a lot on pattern parts and don't always differentiate between them and OEM. For the 360 they supply pattern cam cover gaskets that are properly **** and leak at the first hint of oil.

outrun

Wise words Voicey. What seems a simple part can lead to disaster if not to correct spec.

See you in Le Bois, by the way. Looking forward to seeing the car that I read all about in Classic and Sports Car.

EnzoMC

thanks for the heads up, didn't know that they sold pattern parts. would look to get the gaskets from dealer parts

is it an easy job ?

voicey

There is a minor complication in that the phase variator sensor needs to be removed.

How much oil is leaking?

voicey

If it's dripping then it should be sorted. Minor weaping can sometimes be cured by torquing down the nuts.

miket

The cover bolts cannot be over tightened as there are posts on the cover casting to prevent this, I assume it's just the heat cycles that cause the gasket to harden, I replaced both mine last year and the new genuine parts from Eurospares were slightly different (improved) to the originals I removed, the job was a bit fiddly but not rocket science.

EnzoMC

both side gaskets ordered plus oil acculator, so will be interesting job... hopefully if all works out will save about £300 in labour costs

CatmanV2

did a search and seen some hits on the subject of rocker cover gasket on the coupes and seen a figure from Matt of £125 ? gasket on euro spares is ~£30 each

I had the gasket replaced about 2 years ago which is less than 10,000 miles, wouldn't expect it to go so soon ?

are these easy to change as I've been quoted £300 per side. I've replace these on vauxhalls, opels, fords which were easy but if I do this and F it up - its a totally different ball game.

Just to round this off for you:

I got gaskets from Super Performance. Genuine Ferrari boxes. £20ish per side. Add the spark plug gaskets, they do a kit that also includes the variator filters

Felice just did my gaskets only for 3 hours labour (so £150 +VAT). Fiddly, but nothing more. Maybe the £600 includes the variator filters which looks like a more involved job.

C

EnzoMC

wow was that both sides for £150 ? if so were ?

the gasket I had done found also leaking very little into the spark chamber - spark plugs haven't been change for the last 2 services. I do have new set ready to go in.

any-hoo - whilst taking the top section off the rocker cover, came across a cable coming out of the cover which (quick search on eurospares) connects to variator control solenoid valve which are
about £200 a side :() the issue is the cable connector when I unplugged was soaked in oil - was the same on both sides ? have no idea how oil got into the connector ? any ideas so I know where to look for a fix / issue ?

if this connection / solenoid wasn't working - what issues would this cause - is there a way to test these ?

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Enzo, oil comes down the wire insulation and into the connector and if oil fully contaminates the connector and disables the variator, you will get an ECL. If you run a diagnostics check you will get a P1554 code for the left hand bank and something similar for the drivers side bank. Separate the connector, flush out with brake cleaner and reconnect. The ECL will need to be extinguished by an OBD reader and off you go. I've had it a couple of times, but it's easy enough to sort. Btw, don't thrash the motor with the ECL on or you may do some damage.

EnzoMC

that was my only idea but couldn't beleive oil would get down the wire and on both sides ? checked the system before starting this job and showed no error codes ? if I clean these connects won't the oil just come back up the wire ? take it these solenoids are pushing out some pressure and should not be pushing oil up the wire ?

really do not want to replace these at £200 a side but would be a good time to do them if faulty ?

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Change them if you want but I don't see the need. Just open up the insulation around the wires and squeeze in some silicon sealer. The next time it happens to mine, that's what I'm going to do. If it hasn't put the ECL on, the variators are working and new ones will still have the same wiring, so it will happen again.