New Speeding Fines from April

MrMickS

I've not seen this on here but it was all over the news this morning. From 24th April extreme speed cases could have fines of between 125% and 175% of weekly income, so 101 on a motorway for example.

The full guidelines are here.

It won't affect me because I don't speed. Well except when trying to follow Benny ;)

Doohickey

Velociraptor
It won't affect me because I don't speed.

I can vouch for that having past the world's slowest Maserati on the A1 a while back.

On the radio they were talking about £1000 for speeding in a 30 and £2500 for speeding on the motorway. Surely it should be the other way round? I would class speeding in an urban area a far worse offence than doing so on the safest roads around.

rockits

Well seeing as I'm going through **** again to get remortgaged as I don't earn enough I should be fine then!

Only had one speeding ticket when I was 17 so not sure I'm high risk.

MrMickS

I can vouch for that having past the world's slowest Maserati on the A1 a while back.

On the radio they were talking about £1000 for speeding in a 30 and £2500 for speeding on the motorway. Surely it should be the other way round? I would class speeding in an urban area a far worse offence than doing so on the safest roads around.

My reading of the table is that if you're doing 51 in a 30 you'll get the big fine. So 150% of weekly income. On a motorway you'd have to be doing 101+ to get that fine. Seems fair to me.

MrCoop

What an absolutely ridiculous way to fine motorists, how discriminatory is means testing!?!

Andyk

Think I got caught on the weekend just by where I live. They always have a van on this road and i am always carefull to stay at 30. Liz spoke to me and a moments lapse and I was doing 36...right ****** off with myself.

Wack61

It's a cash cow ,end of story

All manner of dangerous driving can go unchallenged but drive past a speed camera or van on a clear dry day at over the limit and bang , fine in the post

I know a guy , 5 years ago he was going to court for the second time for drunk driving , proper bricking it as he was a lot over

He was ready for the 3 year mandatory ban but the 2 years in prison and or 10k fine was worrying him

Came out of court bouncing with the ban and a £500 fine

He didn't even do the 3 years because they put him on a course

jluis

Good news for people who don't work.
Guess they can speed without being fined :)

EnzoMC

Good news for people who don't work.
Guess they can speed without being fined :)

yep just what I was thinking, plus they are talking about just 1mph over you can get find and 3 points.

I suspect more cameras and mobile units will be setup to make money for a few big ex-bonus. so 24th April time to sell the car...

thing that bugs me is they need to be focusing on car theft not speeding, focus on something that is a real crime and those that drive with no insurance, tax or long over due MOTs. however they won't do any of this because that will costs money, were speeding brings in money !

mate had some advance driving with advance ex-police drive and said you keep to the speed limit but the national speed, drive as fast as its safe...

that's my moan done for the day....

safrane

Hmmm...recall in 1992 they introduced fines based on disposable income, just when I was caught at 94mph on the M62.

I had just sold my house and was hit with a £390 fine and £100 costs. Which back in the day that was 1/3 on my take home pay. So looks like its about the same for me if I do 101mph on the same motorway.

Wack61

The speed awareness course has funded all this , catch drivers at just over the limit and charge them £95 to be educated then spend the money on more vans to catch more people to fund more awareness courses.

iainw

I've not seen this on here but it was all over the news this morning. From 24th April extreme speed cases could have fines of between 125% and 175% of weekly income, so 101 on a motorway for example.

The full guidelines are here.

It won't affect me because I don't speed. Well except when trying to follow Benny ;)

Individually tailored fines depending on earnings?! WTF.

alfatwo

Like a mate of mine pointed out, what's the point of a 400bhp Maserati when you can only do 70mph.

I pointed out I'd rather do 70 in my old 3200GT than be seen dead in his new German shite Audi diesel!

Dave

philw696

Time to consider New Zealand maybe...?

They dont like speeding down here Newton as I have found out a few times.
You only get points if you are physically stopped so my NZ licence is clean.
Im always thankful to other petrolheads who clock the Maserati and flash their lights.

MrMickS

Like a mate of mine pointed out, what's the point of a 400bhp Maserati when you can only do 70mph.

I pointed out I'd rather do 70 in my old 3200GT than be seen dead in his new German shite Audi diesel!

Dave

There are people who drive because they enjoy it, and those that drive because they have to. Your mate sounds like the latter.