Greedy Porsche - price hike after locking down order

hilts uk

Order for Macan placed Jan 2014. Told to expect car in September 2014. Order locked down in November 2014 for January delivery. Dealer still has no idea when the car will arrive but looks like late Feb or more likely early March - so looks like a 6 month delay compared to original target delivery.

I called the dealer today to find out what is happening and they said they have only 2 cars through this month and they have zero visibility on how many cars they can expect in the months ahead. Seems Porsche UK just doesn't tell them what is going on and they only get visibility on a car when the database which is linked to factory shows the car has finished production.

To make matters worse they called me today to tell me that I will have to pay an extra £969. As from 1st Feb Porsche are increasing the base list price of the car and so any orders included in the system will be caught. In reality the price rise only impacts people who have opted to delete the 3rd year warranty and assistance as this will now be included in the basic price. It seems that many people (including me) where deleting these options and no doubt it is a profitable little add-on for Porsche so they are now insisting on it.

The contract T&C's say that while the customer can't change anything Porsche prices if there has been an unforseen event so I intend to challenge them on it.

I have to say so far the experience with Porsche has been poor. No visibility over delivery date and now they effectively jacked up the price. It smacks a little of complacency given there is such a long waiting list for their cars.
The only positive is that the cars are trading still at a decent premium so you get depreciation free driving.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I do like the look of them.
However I have read from various reviews that Porsche appear to be cutting down on the quality of the interior trim on this model.

hilts uk

UK is only getting around 1500 cars a year, looks like they are diverting production to the UK and China to ensure that the delays for these markets are minimal. in the mean time in the UK the wait is around 2 years.

c4sman

This happened to me in 2005 when I ordered a new Boxster S. I was fuming with the "you just have to pay" attitude and escalated it with the dealer resulting in me being allowed to raid the tequipment and merchandise catalogue to the tune of £500 as a good will measure. Suggest you try this route if all else fails.

hilts uk

Thanks, I may resort to that and will probably end up with some free mats and a load of Porsche tat for my extra £969

Parisien

And the last 6 mths the euro has fallen 10% and they put the price up, greedy aint the word!

But I still wouldn't buy a Japanese white goods replacement!

P

bigbob

This happened to me in 2005 when I ordered a new Boxster S. I was fuming with the "you just have to pay" attitude and escalated it with the dealer resulting in me being allowed to raid the tequipment and merchandise catalogue to the tune of £500 as a good will measure. Suggest you try this route if all else fails.

I walked into a Porsche dealer in spring 2005 and said I wanted a new 987 Boxster S. We went round the back, I was shown four or five cars and said I'll have that one. A week later I was in it.

FWIW dumped it a few months later - very over-rated car.

bigbob

Order for Macan placed Jan 2014. Told to expect car in September 2014. Order locked down in November 2014 for January delivery. Dealer still has no idea when the car will arrive but looks like late Feb or more likely early March - so looks like a 6 month delay compared to original target delivery.

I called the dealer today to find out what is happening and they said they have only 2 cars through this month and they have zero visibility on how many cars they can expect in the months ahead. Seems Porsche UK just doesn't tell them what is going on and they only get visibility on a car when the database which is linked to factory shows the car has finished production.

To make matters worse they called me today to tell me that I will have to pay an extra £969. As from 1st Feb Porsche are increasing the base list price of the car and so any orders included in the system will be caught. In reality the price rise only impacts people who have opted to delete the 3rd year warranty and assistance as this will now be included in the basic price. It seems that many people (including me) where deleting these options and no doubt it is a profitable little add-on for Porsche so they are now insisting on it.

The contract T&C's say that while the customer can't change anything Porsche prices if there has been an unforseen event so I intend to challenge them on it.

I have to say so far the experience with Porsche has been poor. No visibility over delivery date and now they effectively jacked up the price. It smacks a little of complacency given there is such a long waiting list for their cars.
The only positive is that the cars are trading still at a decent premium so you get depreciation free driving.

If you can get the factory to give you a VIN number then you can pay today or tomorrow to avoid the price rise.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
If you can get the factory to give you a VIN number then you can pay today or tomorrow to avoid the price rise.

I admire your optimism Bob. I very much doubt the factory will give up a grand by playing fair. I've dealt with Porsche before and their treatment of me made me swear that I would never by one of their wretched cars. They are a bunch of Teutonic tw4ts.

drewf

Tell them you'll pay in Euros, spot-fixed at the time the order was firm on both sides. That'll get your grand back.

safrane

Tell them you'll pay in Euros, spot-fixed at the time the order was firm on both sides. That'll get your grand back.

Good point...exchange rate should have resulted in a credit note rather than a price increase...I'm sure it would if it went the other way.

hilts uk

Dealer manager called me. They are pleading my casd with Porsche GB. Let's see what happens.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

bigbob

He is not buying from Porsche Germany but from Porsche GB and they trade in sterling so it's a no go.

drewf

I realise - I wasn't being totally serious...

The point was they are being arses by demanding a price hike after accepting a firm contract, despite them having a significant exchange rate gain. Porsche GB will certainly buy from Porsche AG in Euros. Wooden dollars maybe, but the UK arm have just won a chunk of cash they weren't expecting.

hodroyd

A contract to buy, is also a contract to sell, you are both locked in once you agree and sign, unless some weird small print says both parties are allowed to behave like dick heads should they so wish..!!

hilts uk

The small print allows them to change the price due to external circumstances beyond their control such as raw material increases or exchange rates. The fact that they are hiking the price because the want to include a warranty shows that this does not apply so the price rise is not valid. Ultimately if they stood their ground I suspect I would lose as they would just refuse to sell it to me and the most I could claim from them is my deposit back. Lets see if they do the decent thing.

hodroyd

A threat of a European Court Case might just make them sit back and think, the publicity would be a killer..!!