Clocks - I couldn't resist

SeanyFeehan

I spotted this thread when searching for information to do the same thing to my car, i.e. remove the clock from my 1999 3200 GT without removing the entire dash.

The chrome on my clock wasn't 100% but still decent-ish. I wanted a new clock though.

Start by removing the top vent from the dash (2 x screws), and then the two round ones either side of the clock (Plastic tabs inside the outer edge)

There's a backing plate that the clock slots into which is held to the inside of the dash by 4 screws. The clock slides through this plate and is secured by the metal tabs on the body of the clock engaging with the backing plate. It "clicks" into place after sliding through the backing plate.

I've heard several accounts of people mangling these tabs when removing the clock so be careful.

I used a right-angle screwdriver (one with a screwdriver bit and a "gearbox") to remove the screws holding the backing plate in place. I inserted this from the top vent and got it into position by putting my hands through the two vents on either side of the clock.

With the clock/plate combo dismounted from the dash, I pushed the whole lot into the space inside dash where I could easily turn it all around whichever way I wanted. I was then able to manoeuvre the clock into position so that I could push the tabs on the clock to disengage them fully from the backing plate and simply remove the clock with minimum damage. This way you can resell the clock on eBay.

I can't see how you could do this without a right-angle screwdriver, but perhaps there is another way. I'm open to other methods.

To fit the new clock, simply re-mount the backing plate and push the new clock into position so that it "clicks" into place with it's new locking tabs. Remounting the backing plarte is far easier than dismounting it because the clock body isn't in the way.

Took me 2 hours in total to replace my clock, and I would say that while it's not ridiculously difficult, it is very very finnicky and you'd want to be pretty dexterous to try it. I dropped one screw but was lucky with where it landed so could retrieve it easily. This might not always be the case. Have a magnet or a grabber ready just in case.

Ewan

The gold Maserati clocks of old were never actually made by Cartier - that's just a myth. Instead they were made by the Swiss company Lasalle, certainly up to the end of the biturbo era (circa 1999). But I imagine the clocks from the 3200 and onwards are something considerably cheaper and less exotic.

2b1ask1

Special case
You are not wrong Ewan; the 4200 clock looks fancy on the front but the internals are a really crappy plastic watch, like the 1980's petrol garage ones. The photo-luminescent sheet is driven by a cruddy little chip and ballast that burns out. I did a lot of research into the chip and found the OEM, they were only interested in supplying me with 10,000 though! I did do an LED conversion but it was way too patchy to look good.

100_3500.jpg

100_3495.jpg

I bought a new clock it was easier in the end.

Ifly_b737

Hi guys, first time posting here, hope you can help, just finished changing the heater core on my 4200, and it came out well, but, after assambly the clock just does not work or light up for that matter, I sm guessing I missed a connection or something, but i can only see one harnes attached to the clock, any ideas thst might help?

2b1ask1

Special case
The blonde lady looks like she is reaching round and copping a feel of Benny but thinking of Richard. Hence the startled upwards glance from Benny. :)

Well that is Mrs BennyD so she is allowed to but probably doesn't want to; more likely she is still fuming from his drive down!