Modern Classics magazine needs a Quattroporte (and other news)

modernclassics

Sort of shows the levels that journalism has slipped to, though it could be that it was only any better in my mind. What's the point of doing such an article if you've pre-judged the results based on popularity and for circulation reasons are going to judge things accordingly. Not wanting to prejudge the article in any way of course.

Shouldn't they take pictures for all possibilities and put the appropriate car front and centre based on their honest opinion after the driving tests?

I know, I'll get my coat.

Seeing as we haven't written the article yet, let's not rush to conclusions.

modernclassics

Totally agree. Most people I know who are interested in cars, absolutely love Maserati's. Apart from those who call them a poor mans Ferrari.
But then those have never aspired to more than a Ford Focus.

Most of those people who are interested in cars would love to see a Maserati beat a Merc, BMW, Jag etc in a group test.
A bit like the Alfa beating an M3 and C63 in a recent test.

As cars become so much better, the differences in how good they are become smaller, are the journals covering their *** to a degree that they can't slag off a Merc/Audi/BMW etc otherwise they won't be asked to test their cars any more? Rather than saying "yeah the BMW/Merc/Audi etc is great, but it's not a Maserati....."

In fairness, we placed a 3200 ahead of a BMW M6, Bentley Continental GT, Jaguar XKR and an Aston Martin DB7 in issue three. And while the QP didn't win the test, the E39 M5 didn't win the saloons group test in issue two.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Apparently, the feature will be in the July Issue (out in early June). There will also be something about the Ghibli in the June issue (out on Wednesday).

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Well the Modern Classics comparison is now on the newsstands.

They compared my QP V 4.2 with:
- Audi RS6
- BMW M5 (E60)
- MB E63 AMG
- Jag XFR
- Vauxhall VXR8

It's a pretty good article, and worth reading but the conclusion was as some people have predicted here, and in my view a bit perverse.

They describe the QP as beautiful etc, and conclude "..on a long journey, we can think of few better places to be." But eventually they rate the QP 4th (or maybe 3rd) out of the 5. I think the problem is that the QP excels as fast long-distance GT, whereas what they were rating was how thrillingly chuck-able the saloons were. I also think it was abit unkind to compare a £25k 4.2 QP with a £35k RS6 - should have got a GTS.
Mod Class 01.jpgMod Class 02.jpg

rockits

Let's hope the next feature on the 4200 does better. Or I'll have to sell them both & buy something else

MrMickS

The second opinion piece rated it higher. It also said that a QP GTS would have been higher.