Need a clever retort.

Lee Jones Jnr

Mate, I'm certainly not anti-Ferrari! I'd have another one in a heartbeat.

So why don't you?

There is no point arguing about it being common to spit at Ferraris etc, you think one thing, I think another.

How long ago did you have your Dino?

Tubber273

While I've never had the "poor mans Ferrari" comment myself, I would more than likely respond with...
"Oh really? What makes you say that?"
In the undoubtedly weak response they give, they'll (more than likely) prove themselves to be uneducated about Ferrari or Maserati. At that point -Simply give a condecending smile and walk away!

hodroyd

I think we all consider a Ferrari as a great car, but we also love our Masers and for the money I think we all agree they are terrific..!!

drewf

So why don't you?

There is no point arguing about it being common to spit at Ferraris etc, you think one thing, I think another.

How long ago did you have your Dino?

Bit harsh Lee? I don't have a Ferrari because I don't have unlimited funds to buy everything I see and would like. Perhaps I should have added, 'if I was in the market for another supercar'. Owned my Dino for 5 years, sold it back to the chap I originally bought it from around 6 years ago.

Woody

Never had someone say "poor mans Ferrari" but I would respond with "thinking man's Ferrari".

I would love a Ferrari and one (or two. Or three) would be in the dream garage but having run the GS for three years, you can certainly not be 'poor' if you want to keep one running properly.

BJL

I'm still waiting for BJL to provide a little more colour around his FF comment... (please :smile: )

Well.....................I was invited out to Maranello on the 13th Feb to the private launch of the new California where Luca and Kimi amid smoke and loud opera unveiled the California T.

To me it looked no different apart from the tail pipes being horizontal and the grill slightly different so although it is 0.2 secs faster to 60 and 2 mph faster and so on and so on I was slightly underwhelmed with what would cost me 70k to change by the time one arrived in Jan, so...........

Whilst there I saw a Silverstone grey with saddle tan leather FF into which Luca got, started it up and roared off..........I was smitten so I registered my interest with Meridien whilst still in Italy and on my return was invited to Millbrook on the day of the Ace Cafe meet.

Order given to Meridien to get me one by Spring next year and are on starters orders to find a nearly new one in my spec as I can't wait that long.20140313_130738-1.jpg

Lovely car and so civilised in a Maserati sort of way. Standing start on the measured mile recording 178 mph at the mile marker, 0 to 60 using Launch control 3.6 secs plus cruising the Bowl up against the armco at over 170 for a dozen laps. I was still buzzing when I met the Guys at the Pub before the Cafe run which I managed to get lost on and ended up in Ruislip.

Contigo

Sponsor
I can vouch for that he was a little buzzing :)

As soon as you opened your mouth I knew you had ordered. Fair play. Chris Harris is currently running one as a daily so might be worth reading his reports on it etc...

hodroyd

I spent a day with Maserati at Millbrook some time back. I was fascinated by the bowl track, the fact that you could set the car on cruise at say 70mph, then climb in to the back seat for a break, or whatever, whilst the car steered itself around, brilliant design..!!

BJL

I can vouch for that he was a little buzzing :)

As soon as you opened your mouth I knew you had ordered. Fair play. Chris Harris is currently running one as a daily so might be worth reading his reports on it etc...

Cheers I will

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Good choice! I had a quick hack around some B-roads with an FF that lives near me, and it sounded epic. Beautiful yowl.

Silverstone grey is a cracking colour for the FF. It's a colour-sensitive car (in my opinion) but looks great in more subdued colours and Silverstone is pretty refined. Are you aiming for the saddle tan interior as well, BJL?

Lee Jones Jnr

Bit harsh Lee? I don't have a Ferrari because I don't have unlimited funds to buy everything I see and would like. Perhaps I should have added, 'if I was in the market for another supercar'. Owned my Dino for 5 years, sold it back to the chap I originally bought it from around 6 years ago.

Which bit was harsh?

So you more or less agree that you picked a Maserati over a Ferrari due to price? Does that not fit the 'poor mans Ferrari' thing?

When you say Dino - which car was it?

BJL

Yes I think the Saddle Tan looks spectacular with the grey and have confirmed that as my choice but if Meridien come up with one sooner and it has beige or similar then that's fine.

The California is such a lovely car to drive with performance that'll see off a 430 and looks just as good roof up or down I'm going to keep it now that depreciation has slowed to a more respectable pace. Like the FF the Cali is colour sensative and in Silverstone it looks a much meaner car than it does in say Light Blue.

DSCF3008.jpg

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I think the Saddle Tan looks spectacular with the grey and have confirmed that as my choice but if Meridien come up with one sooner and it has beige or similar then that's fine.

The California is such a lovely car to drive with performance that'll see off a 430 and looks just as good roof up or down I'm going to keep it now that depreciation has slowed to a more respectable pace. Like the FF the Cali is colour sensative and in Silverstone it looks a much meaner car than it does in say Light Blue.

View attachment 21044

Yes, agreed. To my mind neither the Cali nor the FF looks good in red, but wears Silverstone really well. Lancaster had an FF in pearlescent white which looked good, but was a bit showy for my tastes. The FF's interior in saddle tan looks stunning, a very special place to be. Good luck!

Lee Jones Jnr

The FF looks much better now that I have got used to it and actually seen a few around. When I saw the first promo shots I thought it looked a lot like a Z3 Coupe.
I would probably still choose a two seater Ferrari for myself but they are very very nice motors.