TPMS and MOT

Ambient69

Had a similar problem last week on another 10year old car. It passed everything apart from TPMS failure. Garage equalled all tyres pressures. But problem was resetting the fault, every make/model has its own non standard reset procedure. Finally passed, after an anxious wait, but research highlighted some cars use coded sensors, and some sensors are also only rated to work for 5/6 years, and cost roughly £80 per corner for the part alone. Speed bumps can also increase sensor problems.

Raffles

Brill mate, thanks, where did you source from as I can only find much more expensive?

Bearing in mind that after working normally the dash then came up saying ‘TPMS failure' in my case. The new TPMS module from Beru cost £180. One interesting point is that this is a shared Ferrari item. Same item costs more if ordered for a Ferrari. Took around 15 mins to swop out, with a good old 10mm socket.
d90cf8504d005c30bb6d0e86eb6c67b6.jpg

Have seen secondhand for more money.

Got mine from Eurospares

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanderer

I just bought a £20 one from eBay for an Audi Q7 on the off-chance. Looked identical, but connector is slightly different and probably won't fit (or even work)...

RobinL

I've had a few problem cars (American mostly) with TPMS so learned a few things. Earlier TPMS started appearing around 2005/6 and were battery powered with around a 5 year life. They also usually had an alloy dust cap which corroded the valve stem. When they fail they usually go one at a time but unless you had a code reader you couldn't tell which corner had gone.
Generally not coded to the vehicle.
Resetting TPMS was a nightmare with even recognised procedures not working 1st time round!
Approaching 2012 date and many more were coded to the vehicle and/or position so rotating tyres would throw a code and need resetting.
Dash warnings. Any engine related code resulting in an orange or red engine lights is a certain fail as is any brake related code. (ABS, Park Brake etc) as safety and emissions are the purpose of MOT.
Other codes are, as mentioned, open to judgement, but are a source of perpetual income as they do indicate something needs fixing - kerching!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Seems to me TPMS is another pointless piece of tech that has been forced on the consumer at cost and is more stuff to go wrong

safrane

Had them on my 2000 Peugeot 607 V6.

Had them isolated soon after getting the car... useless load of s h i t e.

Swedish Paul

The Skoda Yeti has a button on the center console. After the light comes on, you simply hold the tpms button for 3 secs and it resets. To be honest, it had caught a couple of slow punctures.

bigbob

Mine on the GranTurismo have been brilliant. Seven years in and all original still. Mind the batteries have to fail eventually.

Angus MacDonald

I also have a TPMS fault light, just appeared last week, local Quickfit cant detect the TPMS sensors in the wheels, Where is the module? I looked in both drivers and passenger footwell and could not see a TPMS module. I removed and refitted the modules in the footwell which made no difference. 2008 Granturismo.

Wanderer

Replaced ECU with seccy hand one - 2009 and it works! Well it seems to, say ‘TPMS temporarily unavailable’ which according to owners manual means it’s still calibrating. Haven’t had time to take car on a run yet. Tantalisingly close to zero warning lights....

Old one is 2013 one, did I read here that someone could repair them?

Wanderer

It works! My first time with no warning lights, just driver window motor to replace and fingers crossed...

Thing is, kinda miss that warning light now, almost like something’s wrong cos it’s not there...

dunnah01

It works! My first time with no warning lights, just driver window motor to replace and fingers crossed...

Thing is, kinda miss that warning light now, almost like something’s wrong cos it’s not there...
Sort of know what you mean - had a proxy realign at Autoshield on Tuesday to get rid of a System not Programmed and yellow triangle - only shows the time and radio station now

Wanderer

Sort of know what you mean - had a proxy realign at Autoshield on Tuesday to get rid of a System not Programmed and yellow triangle - only shows the time and radio station now

Mine says ‘CHECK OK’ now, which is nice... but