Rattle at the rear

Gazcw

I am getting a rattle at the rear when I go over bumps. It sounds very light/tinny like something is loose and rattling against something else.

I am wondering whether the handbrake pads have given up and are rattling around the drum or the are some stones stuck somewhere. Guess you can't check pads without striping them down.

Checked silencers by hitting them and not getting any rattle there.

Any ideas?

philw696

Very doubt it will be handbrake shoes not pads.
Anti roll bar bushes or link rods.
Possibly corroded heat shields coming a drift ?

Gazcw

Very doubt it will be handbrake shoes not pads.
Anti roll bar bushes or link rods.
Possibly corroded heat shields coming a drift ?
Yeah meant shoes not pads. Also get a clicking noise when first pull off. I don't use the EPL either.

conaero

Forum Owner
Rear exhaust box heat shield?

It’s usually the handbrake though. Window down, drive near a wall or building that rebounds the sound, like a bit of thin tin chattering.

Gazcw

Rear exhaust box heat shield?

It’s usually the handbrake though. Window down, drive near a wall or building that rebounds the sound, like a bit of thin tin chattering.
I was thinking handbrake. Will have to take the wheels off and have a proper ferret

Ryandoc

Tinny rattle is usually a heat shield like conaero hints at, get a stick and poke away

Wanderer

Agree re heat shield, had the same just bent it back a bit when on lift during MOT.

Could be a broken TPMS sensor, rattling round in tyre if you gave it fitted (and its not working). Had that too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazcw

Agree re heat shield, had the same just bent it back a bit when on lift during MOT.

Could be a broken TPMS sensor, rattling round in tyre if you gave it fitted (and its not working). Had that too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not got tpms thank god! Well I haven't got the reset button which is up on the roof isn't it? However, the light does flash up when ignition is on so who knows!