Loosing coolant...

F456M

Hi guys.

My 4200 have a coolant problem. I can't find any leaks, and no white smoke or unusual pressure or bubbling in the expantion tank either... it is about 1 liter per 100 kms...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

CatmanV2

Is the header tank cracked? They have a tendency to split along the seams, and it's not visible until it's pressured.

I heard mine before I coulds see it!

C

philw696

Need to put a proper cooling system pressure tester on and see where the coolant goes as it loses pressure.

allandwf

They can be hard to track down, the Brera had a slight leak. Took an age to track down as a pressure test when cold revealed nothing. Crack was at the rear of the tank. DSC_2692.jpg

F456M

Thanks guys. No the oil is perfect. I have to take the expantion tank out to check it from all sides then... i have used a BAR Leah stop fluid, but it still loses water. Can't loose water when parking outside the Royal Norwegian King's ship!

Attachments

• 783757FD-C384-44DA-9B4D-29E1A43ECE90.jpg
    783757FD-C384-44DA-9B4D-29E1A43ECE90.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 57

RSM Masser

The dreaded heater matrix?
Mine has lost coolant a bit for years and only recently found the culprit

RoaryRati

Mine was also loosing coolant - and passed the pressure tests - the culprit was the heater matrix - so check for leakage in the passenger footwell - I put a piece of kitchen towel under the mat - and that confirmed it. Good luck

allandwf

I think I'd rather change what needs replaced than risk blocking more stuff. I'd leave Radweld to old bangers.

D Walker

I think I'd rather change what needs replaced than risk blocking more stuff. I'd leave Radweld to old bangers.

I guess if it’s on a high mileage low value car of any marque and the repair is going to cost more thN the car value, then why not..