You've got £45k in your pocket....

rockits

I think I would rather put the extra 15k over my 4200 half way towards a GT S 4.7 MC Shift for 30k. Seems to make much more sense than tying up another 15k in my garage not doing much.

We all expect a GS to appreciate over the years. I just don't see it moving seriously for some years. In the meantime you have yearly servicing & maintenance and a 45k investment day one. If you have the spare cash or are loaded then who cares. I have neither.

I also like some am not a fan of the surfboards or interior. If we were all the same it would be a boring place.

I think RWC is doing the right thing. Buy a car, nick a nice profit and move on. The non silly low miles GS market is definitely softening a smidge. You can see that in the prices.

At the end of the day though who cares. We don't buy these cars because they make financial sense!

Ewan

The GTS is certainly a better car than a GS, and both are light years ahead of the Cup (which, by modern standards and like many classics, is medium paced, uncomfortable, awkward to drive and lacking in build quality). So if buying to drive, my order would be GTS, then GS, then Cup.

But if buying as an investment, the order would be the exact reverse. Indeed, I paid about £11k for that particular Cup (when it's mileage was lower), and just look at its value now.

So it all boils down to what you want from a car. They all have their plus points and a good case could be made for each. What is not in doubt is that RG has managed to find great examples of each.

Ewan

Just looked at the RG stock list - wow! Must be his best Maser line up yet.

Of the GS cars, I'd take the Luna one. Lovely colour combination, sensible miles and cracking value. What a great daily (or weekender) that would make, at very reasonable money (by Maser standards).

rockits

The GTS is certainly a better car than a GS, and both are light years ahead of the Cup (which, by modern standards and like many classics, is medium paced, uncomfortable, awkward to drive and lacking in build quality). So if buying to drive, my order would be GTS, then GS, then Cup.

But if buying as an investment, the order would be the exact reverse. Indeed, I paid about £11k for that particular Cup (when it's mileage was lower), and just look at its value now.

So it all boils down to what you want from a car. They all have their plus points and a good case could be made for each. What is not in doubt is that RG has managed to find great examples of each.
I'd agree with all of that Ewan. Nicely summarised. I might wait until a GT S MC Shift hits 25k in the next year or two.

A 45k GS is getting close to MCV money.

zagatoes30

I also like some am not a fan of the surfboards or interior. If we were all the same it would be a boring place.

I'm with you Dean, I have never liked the those aspects of the GS and hence would not buy one, I was tempted by a GS Spyder once. I am keeping my eye on GTS prices but although it looks stunning I still think it is a physically large hence why I am also looking at other brand alternatives including the Giulia QF which can be had for close to that budget.

The short list currently is

Alfa Giulia QF
Alfa 4C
Aston V8 Vantage
Porsche Cayman S

Rwc13

A 45k GS is getting close to MCV money.[/QUOTE]

Hardly, the last one went for nearer £60k and it had a lot more miles and was not in the “as new†condition of this GS.

D Walker

Lol, new this thread had legs, if I'd been in the market for a GTS I'd have considered Hoy-in's car at AV, mainly as I know it and the driver and it has more extras than Ben Hur. And I know when he drives he thinks he is auditioning gor Miss Daisy, lol!
As Dean says, just as well we are all different, agree regarding GS and MCV, still a £20k chasm I think on similar miles/ year/ condition car.
Dave

hashluck

Just looked at the RG stock list - wow! Must be his best Maser line up yet.

Of the GS cars, I'd take the Luna one. Lovely colour combination, sensible miles and cracking value. What a great daily (or weekender) that would make, at very reasonable money (by Maser standards).

Yep, would be that one for me too

Ewan

There is a RHD MCV currently for sale. Its in AUS and has an asking price of £65k. So it'll be £70k by the time it's on your driveway. Good spec and best colour (Blu Victory). On a like-for-like basis I'd say that there is at least a £20k gap between a normal GS and an MC-V. And the gap could well be more - a 35k mile GS can easily be had for £30k, while a similar mileage MC-V could be £60k, meaning a £30k gap.

BuckRog64

This thread has stayed remarkably on topic.

Interesting that some have commented on how they drive and others have considered from a financial perspective.

I guess when the GTS MC Shift first came out in 2008 around 8 out of 10 petrolheads would have wanted that rather than a GS. But with the progress of time the driving experience the GS offers has an appeal that is supported by the fact it has been holding its value.

Contigo

Sponsor
Yep GTS but I'm biased. Why worry about depreciation? Buy the car that looks and most importantly sounds the best.