Question of the day

Golly did not know we were still on this as I have an answer:-
Big Ben is the name of the actual bell in the tower and was allegedly named after Benjamin Hall a Clerk of Works (1st one ?) for the area. Another theory is it was named after a pugilist of the era but I do not know anything about him.
Well that's my story and I am sticking to it.

CatmanV2

Golly did not know we were still on this as I have an answer:-
Big Ben is the name of the actual bell in the tower and was allegedly named after Benjamin Hall a Clerk of Works (1st one ?) for the area. Another theory is it was named after a pugilist of the era but I do not know anything about him.
Well that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Indeed. Two of the popular answers

I thought there was some debate as to where the name came from but I couldn't recall the details

Correct. Typical Benny, really.....

C

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
I think you’ve just about covered it. You can decide who sets the next question between you!

Navcorr

In the absence of activity perhaps a quickie - or perhaps not.
Where did "Queen" play their first concert and why might this be open to interpretation?

zagatoes30

Yes and no. Smile is part of the interpretation but not the answer I'm after.

OK Truro 1970, Mercury, May & Taylor but they were billed as Smile which was May and Taylors previous band. Bass player wasn't Deacon he joined later after a number of short lived bassists

allandwf

First gig with the name changed to Queen? Was a one off, not part of a tour as such as they were still a pub band, I thought, can't remember where.

Navcorr

First gig with the name changed to Queen? Was a one off, not part of a tour as such as they were still a pub band, I thought, can't remember where.

Getting warmer. Much warmer as the first gig played "as Queen" is part of the answer. Why might the first Queen gig still be open to interpretation though?
Their name change came mid-tour when they played Balls Park - Hertford. Part of the then Hatfield Poly. Business School.

Lovely grounds and used to shoot baskets there yonks ago. A disused tennis court in the far corner surrounded by tall trees on three sides and a pond on the other. Idyllic tranquillity - wonderful.

Edit: "tour" is probably stretching the definition a bit - Allan is right the gigs would be better described as a series of one offs.

Navcorr

Tour might be a bit grandiose.
Rather fitting for the band no :)

Let's move this one on. Between playing The Cavern Club, Liverpool and Hertford they changed their name. They didn't bother to tell anyone though - the first anyone at the venue knew was when someone noticed Queen emblazoned across the kick drum. So although they played as Queen they were still billed as Smile as per the printed flyers. The next gig at Egham - Shoreditch College they were billed as Queen.

It's known that Freddie tried to screw the organiser at Balls Park for more money - on the basis of having played the same stage as The Beatles. It might be fair to assume that wasn't the last attempted screw that night.

Over to Allan or back to the last Q.