Decision Time: 4200 vs GS vs GT

GeoffCapes

Have you spent a lot of wheel time in a GS?

In an ideal world I’d have both. (One day maybe?) Very different cars.
But there’s no denying that the MC Shift is a more modern, more polished car.

I guess it’s whatever floats your boat.

Zep

In an ideal world I'd have both. (One day maybe?) Very different cars.
But there's no denying that the MC Shift is a more modern, more polished car.

I guess it's whatever floats your boat.

I agree, the GTS is a easier car to drive long distances and is more modern and has much better fuel consumption on a run. The GS has better steering feel and is a more visceral drive. In terms of speed, there is virtually nothing between a GS and a 4.7 GTS in my experience.

Jnismith

Now that I’ve found that a GT fits in my garage, the size doesn’t really matter so much, nor does the mpg if I’m only doing 3000 miles a year. I just want something that is a bit fun to drive, makes some noise and doesn’t cause me too much heartache. I loved having a Maserati a few years ago and just want the chance to do that again. The other option I suppose is a Ghibli S. I did have a go in a diesel though but wasn’t impressed.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, the GTS is a easier car to drive long distances and is more modern and has much better fuel consumption on a run. The GS has better steering feel and is a more visceral drive. In terms of speed, there is virtually nothing between a GS and a 4.7 GTS in my experience.

GS is probably quicker in the real world thanks to being 300kg lighter and better at going round corners. ‘orses for courses, innit.

hashluck

Now that I’ve found that a GT fits in my garage, the size doesn’t really matter so much, nor does the mpg if I’m only doing 3000 miles a year. I just want something that is a bit fun to drive, makes some noise and doesn’t cause me too much heartache. I loved having a Maserati a few years ago and just want the chance to do that again. The other option I suppose is a Ghibli S. I did have a go in a diesel though but wasn’t impressed.

Well don't get a Ghibli to do 3K miles a year in! Sounds to me like the GS for the fun and noise. I think any Maserati has the potential for heartache but you always forgive.

Jnismith

Well don't get a Ghibli to do 3K miles a year in! Sounds to me like the GS for the fun and noise. I think any Maserati has the potential for heartache but you always forgive.

I think so too. The GS seems to be the one to go for. And you still remember the good times like 3 1/2 hours to Cornwall in my old Ghibli. Was just a fantastic drive. And then seeing the extent of the rust for the first time at McGraths.

GeoffCapes

Not sure the GTS has better fuel consumption. Or maybe it just the way I drive mine!
GS Steering is better, as mentioned because it's lighter.
As for speed, 0 to 60 the GS is quicker, in gear the GTS is quicker (probably the bigger engine), as well as top end.

As I said, very different cars. It's why I'd like both.

safrane

If you do buy a GS and keep it for a couple of years with the miles you suggest you will sell it for more than you paid for it.

Yes it requires services more frequently than the GT but parts are less expensive.

The GT will continue to loose money as it is still in production, no matter what some may claim.

As you have recognised the GT is just that a G T car and is built on the QP platform, whereas the GS is a sport(y) car in comparison.

Jnismith

If you do buy a GS and keep it for a couple of years with the miles you suggest you will sell it for more than you paid for it.

Yes it requires services more frequently than the GT but parts are less expensive.

The GT will continue to loose money as it is still in production, no matter what some may claim.

As you have recognised the GT is just that a G T car and is built on the QP platform, whereas the GS is a sport(y) car in comparison.

So what have I got to lose? Just now need to decide which GS and how much I want to spend and whether I want the insurance of a warranty?

D Walker

IMO if it's more than 10 yr old why bother with a £1000-1500 warranty. You're half way to a clutch, which the warranty won't pay out on, work on a £3k contingency/ war chest that should cover you 1/2 years and if you do better then that's a winner. I spent my 3k in first year but never lost on selling car. You have to pay for a service anyway so discount that, it's a running cost. Speak to RG, he will advise best for your needs without trying to sell you a car.

Jnismith

IMO if it's more than 10 yr old why bother with a £1000-1500 warranty. You're half way to a clutch, which the warranty won't pay out on, work on a £3k contingency/ war chest that should cover you 1/2 years and if you do better then that's a winner. I spent my 3k in first year but never lost on selling car. You have to pay for a service anyway so discount that, it's a running cost. Speak to RG, he will advise best for your needs without trying to sell you a car.

What I meant was should I buy private with an inspection OR from a reputable dealer with a warranty. Definitely agree about the war chest/contingency fund. I do this with a holiday property.

Ewan

As someone who has both a 4.7 GTS MC-Shift and a GS, both of which do less than 3k miles a year, I'd say the GTS is the better sounding, more comfortable, more modern and more complete car, which (with the Sport button pressed) makes every journey an event. The GS, on the other hand, is more hardcore and sporty (though no faster).

If the budget is around £30k or below, it has to be a GS. But if you go to around £35k or above, then for me it would be the GTS.

Over the next few years the GTS is likely to depreciate a little, while the GS probably won't. I'd say running costs will be similar on both.

I'd buy from RG if you can. To have a car that's been properly inspected, serviced and warrantied is worth the little extra. That said, buying a well known car from the Club/Forum is also worth considering (subject to a PDI). But I'd be wary of cars being sold by non-maserati knowledgeable garages/people.

Jnismith

After another test drive today, I’m definitely going to go with a GS. But there seems to be a number of choices.