Question of the day

spkennyuk

Something to do with launching ships ?

Although being Newcastle the probably use empty bottles to launch the ships having drunk the contents. :)

Navcorr

No as in Newcastle Brown Ale , and the five Newcastle Breweries.

That was my first thought but was trying to be clever! Oh well - should've known I wouldn't get away with that here :)
Well, yes and no. The connection is Newcastle Brown but for a particular reason.

zagatoes30

Newcastle Brown and Champagne can only be made in those areas like the Cornish pasty - Protected Geographical Status or some such EU wording

spkennyuk

Good thought but no. NB is now brewed in Yorkshire - eeeee by gum.

Surely the question should be what links Yorkshire to Champagne then ! :)

Its a guess going off what you have said in the thread. Are they both products bottled away from the area they named after ?

Navcorr

Surely the question should be what links Yorkshire to Champagne then ! :)

Its a guess going off what you have said in the thread. Are they both products bottled away from the area they named after ?

Ooh - protest! To be suitably rebuffed good sir :)

Location is nothing to do with the answer I'm looking for.
There have been some very good guesses and Catman particularly was rather warm.

There was a very specific reason why Champagne producers looked to the Geordies for help.

CatmanV2

OK Attempted logical deduction: To make something fizzy you need to pressurise it. For this you need a sealed container. Glass and cork being the available materials. Cork is not grown in the Newcastle area, so something about being able to make bottles that can be pressurised and the glassmaking skills? i.e. Newcastle had them and Champagne did not?

C

Navcorr

This is close enough for the points good man.

Glassmaking skills were one thing - having the ability to make glass strong enough to withstand the pressure created by secondary fermentation was something else.
Originally champers was a still beverage and bottling wasn't a problem. A batch got shipped to Blighty, went "bad" en route, but proved to be very popular.
Since when the drink has been bubbly. The original bottles were exploding and Les Frogs couldn't work out how to produce tougher glass.
The glass produced for NB was sufficient for their purposes.

Catman's question I believe.

spkennyuk

I typed and then deleted earlier is it the punt at the bottom of the bottles. Then i thought lots of wine bottles have the punt at the bottom.

Adds strength to the bottles and helps contain the pressure requires for sparkling wines.