New York Trip Tips

Navcorr

I've not really had good steaks in the US.
I'd go along with this. The majority of US herds are still corn fed i.e. from troughs.
Very fast growing animals giving tender cuts - but not having worked that hard the meat is tasteless.
Grazing herds have much better flavour but cost that much more to rear.

Local butcher
Ribeye

Bavette d'aloyau for me. Had a good sized lump earlier - seared perfectly. Thanks Dad :)

C

... expect a bill of at least £300 for a couple, and that is not going overboard!)

I'm sure it must've been an experience but for that price I'd want at least both servings myself!
Maybe eating out with a vegetarian wouldn't be so bad after all :unsure:

hoyin

Places to eat. You asked for it:

- One of the three Halal Guys food stalls for chicken and rice (New York staple)
- Kung Fu Tea in Chinatown for one of the best bubble teas. (I'd recommend the green milk tea with bubbles)
- Jamba Juice for smoothies!
- Artichoke pizza (amazing comfort food, even better drunk)
- Actual New York style pizza, which I didn't manage to get.
- Crif dog for delicious hot dogs, as well as a hidden speakeasy bar through the wall.
- Katz's Deli (get the reuben sandwich on rye with pastrami, hands down one of the best sandwiches I've ever had)
- Russ & Daughters for one of the best bagels in the city, just a few stores down from Katz's
- Fresco (for gelato)
- Shake Shack and Burger Joint for burgers (a 'hidden' restaurant at the Le Parker Meridien). I hear Minetta Tavern is really good too, but I didn't go.
- Basta pasta for Japanese style pasta
- Hit up Korean Town for large varieties of good korean food.
- Supposedly you should go to Flushing for the best chinese, though I didn't have time to travel that far.
- 16 Handles for generally good and easy to find frozen yogurt
- Levain bakery for amazing cookies which melt in your mouth
- Blue Smoke or Mighty Quinn's for barbecue
- Smorgasburg food festival on the weekends in Brooklyn. Has stalls from many places like Mighty Quinn's, as well as Asian food like Dan Dan Noodles etc, and super tasty lobster rolls and also donuts from Dough.
- Community Food & Juice for brunch (scrumptious pancakes and other breakfasty foods), although there are plenty other brunch alternatives. This one is definitely good though.
- Morimoto for good japanese (relatively expensive, I shared an appetizer and had a bowl of chirashi, came out to be $54)
- Peter Luger or Keene's for steak. Peter Luger is supposed to be the best in the city, but we couldn't get a booking in time, so we went to Keene's. Also one of the top steakhouses around. Comes out to be around $70 per person or thereabouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk