Talk me out of a R8 V10

azapa

Now we are talking sensible alternatives. My project 2018 is either a maca 570 spyder, or used 650, o f458. A 458, with speciale stripes and exhaust? Would it be a bit sad?

zagatoes30

Never been a 458 fan, it has all the right bits but just looks like it is trying too hard, but then again I think the same about most mid engined supercars but for some reason I like the R8

Andyk

Now we are talking sensible alternatives. My project 2018 is either a maca 570 spyder, or used 650, o f458. A 458, with speciale stripes and exhaust? Would it be a bit sad?

McLaren over a Ferrari everyday for me. Was at the local zmclaren dealer and they had a 570 Spyder there on display....Lovely car ..... Mckaren can't seem to do any wrong at the moment and making real alternatives to the establishment......They had a 720S there as well....What a machine.....the detail, the quality....Something Ferrari can only dream about. The 488 that was in the corners quality just couldn't compete......

iainw

McLaren over a Ferrari everyday for me. Was at the local zmclaren dealer and they had a 570 Spyder there on display....Lovely car ..... Mckaren can't seem to do any wrong at the moment and making real alternatives to the establishment......They had a 720S there as well....What a machine.....the detail, the quality....Something Ferrari can only dream about. The 488 that was in the corners quality just couldn't compete......

With 7 years free servicing and 2 year warranty packages- most people would say Ferrari still had the advantage. If mclaren started to do that it would attract more people I think. Never liked mclarens at all- but after hearing you guys speaking highly of them and looking at a couple - could be tempted in the future. They don't seem to sound as good and have crippling servicing costs which are big off putters.
What do people think are the best VFM ones at the moment? Do any forum members have them who can speak of their benefits?
One stupid question I have is- do most of them have gull wings - and in the spider form are these reverted to normal doors?

MrMickS

Even seeing the 111 McLaren's following us onto the track at Silverstone the other weekend they leave me cold. I've no doubt that they are great pieces of engineering but for me they lack that flaw that makes them great. I feel the same way about the R8 and the Gallardo. Lovely cars but, in a way, too clinical for a real supercar.

I'd take the Ferrari every day, even with the flaws and the negative reactions from the public.

Andyk

I've driven a 12c Convertable and the same time a Gallatdo Spyder and 458 and the McLaren was faster, handled better and was just as much fun. Cold it certainly didn't leave me and the clean uncluttered interior was head and shoulders over the other two but we all see something different in cars I suppose. For me Mckaren over a Ferrari everyday of the week.

Andyk

Is 7 years free servicing really going to get someone to buy a New Ferrari over a Lamborghini, McLaren etc....Surely someone she can shell out over £200k on a car will not worry too much about a service and just buy the car they want. That is a good deal though as service ain't cheap which never understood on these cars as a oil service plug change cannot not be that much different for any car yet Ferrari/Maserati and like decide to flease there customers with silly prices.

rossyl

I've met quite a few McLaren owners. One thing they all moaned about was the servicing. You are pretty much forced to buy a "Servicing Package" which is very expensive and yet doesn't cover all parts. Worse is that apparently the aftercare is awful with too few servicing garages. It was something they didn't realise when buying and if they had both of these items might've changed their mind.

They might have a lot of money but they made it all not by throwing money down the drain.

Andyk

Well I'm pretty sure I will never find out if the service is good or bad for Ferrari or Mclarenbut if I do at least I have a Mckaren dealer close and Ferrari....Got to have dreams I suppose.

MrMickS

Is 7 years free servicing really going to get someone to buy a New Ferrari over a Lamborghini, McLaren etc....Surely someone she can shell out over £200k on a car will not worry too much about a service and just buy the car they want. That is a good deal though as service ain't cheap which never understood on these cars as a oil service plug change cannot not be that much different for any car yet Ferrari/Maserati and like decide to flease there customers with silly prices.

I don't think that the 7 year servicing is much of an incentive for the initial Ferrari buyers. I do think it helps bolster the residuals within the first seven years though and may even start to have an impact on the low mileage queens. If the car has a full Ferrari service history then a few thousand extra miles shouldn't make as much difference on the prices.

iainw

Like the old saying...you don't get rich by spending money.

Totally agree. I disagree that the 7 year service package isn't very attractive. If you think how much a Strad for example would cost to service over 7 years- you are looking at 5 figures. Most people, rich or poor would consider that attractive.
I would have spent several thousand servicing my GTS over the next 5 years, and combining
This with a 2 year warranty and very strong residuals- I hardly even needed to tap on my man maths calculator to change.
I will have to use it when I get a strad though. And a helmet and riot shield to protect me from my wife

m1980k

I would have thought that a significant number of people buying £150-200k cars are 'only' earning that sort of money a year and are only willing to take a £15-20k cost of ownership pa. I think the public perception is that you buy something like a Ferrari and sink a huge amount of cash into it, when in reality it's on finance and covered by a warranty, providing a reasonable degree of financial security. Just hang out on the Supercars section of Pistonheads for a while. A lot of conversations about the costs involved in running these cars.

Andyk

I don't think that the 7 year servicing is much of an incentive for the initial Ferrari buyers. I do think it helps bolster the residuals within the first seven years though and may even start to have an impact on the low mileage queens. If the car has a full Ferrari service history then a few thousand extra miles shouldn't make as much difference on the prices.

Agree Mick...If its transferable then as a used buy its worth it.

iainw

Agree- servicing costs and warranty are still important no matter how rich someone is.
I would think it very risky to buy a car at 100% of annual wage though. I have often thought what most people consider 'sensible'. I would want my car to cost less than a third of my annual wage for sure. I have never understood the logic of spending more money on cars than bricks and mortar. My valeter was telling me about a chap with a GT3, RS6 and an M3. Turns out they are parked on road outside a 3 bed house worth less that the GT3. WTF!

Andyk

Agree most people who spend 200k on a car will not pay outright and is probably used to appease the tax man and financed to the hilt.

iainw

Agree Mick...If its transferable then as a used buy its worth it.

Try taking your car into a Ferrari / maserati garage - having a full service and getting an invoice for 0. Feels pretty good. Probably a placebo effect as the initial owner has paid through the nose for the car- but I bet it has had some impact or they wouldn't do it. If mclaren started it -they would show a rise in sales figures. Everyone likes predictability and security- rich or poor.

iainw

Try taking your car into a Ferrari / maserati garage - having a full service and getting an invoice for 0. Feels pretty good. Probably a placebo effect as the initial owner has paid through the nose for the car- but I bet it has had some impact or they wouldn't do it. If mclaren started it -they would show a rise in sales figures. Everyone likes predictability and security- rich or poor.

Having said that- I also felt pretty good picking the GTs from Marios after a service :)