Question of the day

montravia

I'm pretty sure the Feet Air arm had about 3 planes left at the end - those crappy biplanes that were used on the raid on the Italian fleet (can't remember the type) - were they called Faith, Hope & Charity?
You have it Mark.

At the onset of hostilities, it was deamed thag strategic Malta needed air defence from the impending Italian airforce. Three (in reality more) Gloster Gladiators were shipped and assembled. They were already obsolete even before any hostilities. Three were named Faith, Hope and Charity, sent to defend the island from the might of the squadrili Italiane. One didn't last long, one a little longer, and one survived. Despite being relieved by a sqaudron of Hurricanes, their endeavour and courage is still rememebered and celebrated. Subsequently tne squadron has always three aircraft named so, now suplemented by another named 'Desperation'. Last based in tne Falklands.

'In the face of all odds......'

A truer account of the desparate seige and defence from the air can be read from Geoffrey Wellan's 'First Light'. The remorseless pressure resulted in his complete mental and physical breakdown, shipped home. Even if you're not interested in aviation, this is a measured account of the experiences of a young lad as he journies through his training, into combat, and the highs and horrors. Determination

Over to you Mark.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Who was the last person to win the Men's Singles at Wimbledon wearing long trousers, and in what year?
A few years ago my American boss almost fired me when I said I would rather come second at Wimbledon in long trousers than come first in shorts - he thought this was a totally unacceptable demonstration of a lack of a 'winning attitude'.

JonW

C'mon guys. At least have a guess at the year....

I'm wondering if this is a trick question... Federer wore long trousers as his coming onto court outfit back in 2009/10, but if we mean actually playing the match in them then I would have thought it must be either late 40s / early 50s...

MarkMas

Chief pedant
I'm wondering if this is a trick question... Federer wore long trousers as his coming onto court outfit back in 2009/10, but if we mean actually playing the match in them then I would have thought it must be either late 40s / early 50s...

Not a trick question. It is someone actually playing and winning. Years are in the right zone.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
53 a complete guess.

Not a great guess, I'm afraid. Once you know the answer, there is a sort of logic to it. What I can say is that before WW2 players generally wore long trousers, but at some point after resumption of Wimbledon (after WW2) and before 1953 all the winners were in shorts.

spkennyuk

Not a great guess, I'm afraid. Once you know the answer, there is a sort of logic to it. What I can say is that before WW2 players generally wore long trousers, but at some point after resumption of Wimbledon (after WW2) and before 1953 all the winners were in shorts.

Going off what you said about pre war and post war. I would guess your talking 1946 or 1947. No idea who it was.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Going off what you said about pre war and post war. I would guess your talking 1946 or 1947. No idea who it was.
Yes 1946.
If you think about it, he probably said to himself "Wimbledon has been suspended for five years, but now it is back, and I had better dress appropriately."
But the next 5 winners were all Americans, who presumably thought "Why dress up like some European ***, when I can just win instead?"
1947 Jack Kramer
1948 Bob Falkenburg
1949 Ted Schroeder
1950 Budge Patty
1951 Dick Savitt

Any thoughts on the (European) winner in 1946?

JonW

Am equally clueless - my knowledge of European tennis players from the 1940s is clearly not what it could be...

Navcorr

Clueless here too, so for the third time of hinting :), perhaps time for a clue? If possible without giving it away.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
I have an idea! How about a clue?
Actually, unless you happen to be an expert on 1940s tennis stars, I'm not sure the clues will help unless they just give it away.
Anyway, he was French (but not Rene Lacoste).
And he shares his first name (kinda) with a famous woman's tennis player mentioned here a few weeks ago, and his last name with an ancient site popular with tourists.