Views on mileage implications

Corranga

I think it's simply because these are pretty special cars. People expect a Maserati to be perfect. High miles cars are less likely to be perfect so I think it's simply used as a guide to what is and isn't likely to be worn.

Mine has nearly 70k on it and isn't perfect. There are some scuffs on the bumper, and pin dents, and the drivers seat shows some wear (though for a nearly 70k miles car, the interior looks great overall).
Ironically, because of the higher miles, rectifying these issues would cost more than the value they would add to the car, so the car ends up with a pointless ceiling value simply because of the mileage.

The really crazy thing of course is that these are GT cars, built to do long trips and cover high miles with ease - and as mine is a 2004 car, 5.4k miles a year isn't exactly intergalactic!

On the flip side, would I buy one with 100k+ probably not ;)

beau

Seems to just be people on here who seem to have the 50k miles or less opinion, everyone else works on anything under 100k is good

I see BMW m3 and m5's, like 2010 plates, with 70-80k miles and they are advertised as 'low mileage'

Needamaser

Seems to just be people on here who seem to have the 50k miles or less opinion, everyone else works on anything under 100k is good

I see BMW m3 and m5's, like 2010 plates, with 70-80k miles and they are advertised as 'low mileage'
My point exactly. I was trying to be a bit more subtle though. lol

StuartW

When I sold my GTS which had around 54k on it, despite the condition, service history and all of the problematic GTS problems having been fixed, it was the mileage that was putting buyers off. I had it advertised super cheap and ended up practically giving it away to another dealer who in turn only made a small profit and took a number of months to sell it, so they are certainly mileage sensitive. And in a crowded a market place (I'm talking GTs here), the lower mile cars are definitely so much more attractive to most people

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
When I got my spyder with 26k on it and I was putting on 10-12k a year it always ran beautifully. When I stopped using anywhere near as much I started getting lots of minor snags. On the Le Mans trip this year I did nearly 1100 miles and it was faultless and it's now got 71k on it. The more, and harder, you use them the better they are. Bollox to mileage I'd rather have mine than a 20k garage queen.

StuartW

When I got my spyder with 26k on it and I was putting on 10-12k a year it always ran beautifully. When I stopped using anywhere near as much I started getting lots of minor snags. On the Le Mans trip this year I did nearly 1100 miles and it was faultless and it's now got 71k on it. The more, and harder, you use them the better they are. Bollox to mileage I'd rather have mine than a 20k garage queen.

Indeed, mine is one of the higher miler Stradales around & has had odd spirited drive but runs like a dream

philw696

Me too Im with Ian on this they are designed to be used for spirited driving and mine has just performed faultlessly on a 120 mile road trip stretching her legs nicely.
The mileage going upwards nicely.
She at 13 years old still gets positive comments on how she looks and sounds and the Porsche guys I go out with once a month say mine is the Best sounding in our group.
Im glad were all different and SM caters for all after owning a couple of Ferraris and seeing all the keyboard warriors who will never own one post their Rubbish.
Thankfully here we are all fellow enthusiasts :)

Dan!

My Lotus now has 121k on it. And with its new engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension, bushes, bearings, new sticky tyres it's pretty much brand new again. So I'd suggest in its case the mileage is irrelevant.

I am of course somewhat biased, but given the work that's gone into it I'd suggest it's now worth 3 or 4 times more than one that's got 20k on it and all original parts. Not that I intend on selling it anytime soon.

mattjevans

My Lotus now has 121k on it. And with its new engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension, bushes, bearings, new sticky tyres it's pretty much brand new again. So I'd suggest in its case the mileage is irrelevant.

I am of course somewhat biased, but given the work that's gone into it I'd suggest it's now worth 3 or 4 times more than one that's got 20k on it and all original parts. Not that I intend on selling it anytime soon.

To be fair, you can get a replacement K-series engine for two old buttons and a postal order for £4.67, so you'd be mad to be mileage sensitive about an Elise.

That said, while I only drive mine at weekends, I agree with the sentiments that this is meant to be a GT car and there's no reason to hold back on driving it accordingly.

Ebenezer

Not difficult to put on 5k a year just going to events, the Ace and the long way to the petrol station :)
Eb

Last edited:

Contigo

Sponsor
Not difficulty to put on 5k a year just going to events, the Ace and the long way to the petrol station :)
Eb

Ain't that the truth! 1k for Le Mans and then many more for each event. I did 7k in the 3200 in one year to events.

conaero

Forum Owner
Did 650m this years Le Mans due to the shortened route and living next door to the port.

Scaf

I bought a very low mileage Aston DB7 a few years back, but thankfully off a chap who bought it with even lower miles and put 5k on it in the six months he owned it. In that time he had no end of trouble with air con seals, suspension rubbers and all manner of small (but expensive) things. Cars need regular use, especially exotics. It never missed a beat for me though.

My current GTS is a low mileage model but had had regular albeit low miles use and I don't think I paid too much of a premium for it, I bought it for its colour and spec rather than the low miles, much more important to get the colour and spec right and of course service history.

bigbob

Don't care much about miles, use mine when I can but less so in the rain than when I first got it. Now done 42k in 6 years. Only issue is that they groan a lot when you drive them in cold weather!

Spartacus

Mines done 65k and goes like stink. Apart from a clutch and a few suspension bits its been a great ! I make sure it goes out every week even if it goes to the shops and back . They don't like being left sat still at all .......mileage-smileage !

Incidentally it will be up for sale before the end of the year if there are any lurkers looking for a known and well maintained 4200.

Last edited:

Contigo

Sponsor
Any shirt lifters in looking for a Camp mobile will be very pleased to meet you and your lilac love pump with custard cream racing back pipes.

Corranga

That's impressive. My Elise only has 76k on it and has had a new engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension, bushes, bearings, new sticky tyres, paint, retrim, roof .... and is also pretty much brand new again ;)

Vampyrebat

Any shirt lifters in looking for a Camp mobile will be very pleased to meet you and your lilac love pump with custard cream racing back pipes.

Hang on............Don't you drive an MX5??..........People in glass houses..................!!:wink: