Pirelli launch coloured tyres with an app

sionie1

http://color.pirelli.com/en-gb/?#

Pirelli are launching a range of tyres thwt you can customise with colour - previewed at the Geneva show and available for pre-order. I quite like some of the colours, depending on the car. The app apparently lets the driver know of any issues and can direct you to the nearest tyre shop.

RobinL

Hmm. A bit like the old white wall tyres but a bit stingier on the colour.? Not sure about this.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

safrane

So if I am seeing that right on the phone screen, its just the branding that is coloured?...like on F1 tyres.
Looks a lot like the customer is paying to advertise the makers product.

philw696

We have customers who don't want the Dealership on the number plates or back window as we don't pay them for advertising.

MrMickS

We have customers who don't want the Dealership on the number plates or back window as we don't pay them for advertising.

If I buy new I specify that and no stickers either. If they want me to advertise then they can pay me to do it :)

MrMickS

I do quite like the idea and I do have one of the cars that the app works for. The problem I have is that I never seem to need to replace all four tyres at the same time, and doing so would lose me £50 cash back.

MrMickS

Looking at the app video how does it work out the tread depth? Something in the tires that measures it and communicates via Bluetooth to the phone app?

MrMickS

I do quite like the idea and I do have one of the cars that the app works for. The problem I have is that I never seem to need to replace all four tyres at the same time, and doing so would lose me £50 cash back.

Then I looked at the price. £2420 for 4 tyres. I'm assuming that doesn't come with an extra set of rims.

midlifecrisis

I was listening to the commentators of MotoGP and he was talking to a representative from a tyre company and he stated that since tyres are completely synthetic, they can in theory be any colour you want. He wasn't talking about side walls but the tread too. However, they did some market research and they concluded that no-one would buy them as people wouldn't trust a non-black tyre due to a lack of grip.

sionie1

I quite like them, but the price differential for Pirelli is a bit steep. Like others have said I'd rather the money go on researching a compound that doesn't want to chuck me off the road..
The Bluetooth idea isn't a bad one, particularly if you are getting uneven wear and can't really see the full tyre..

Navcorr

..he was talking to a representative from a tyre company .... they can in theory be any colour you want .... market research .. concluded that no-one would buy them as people wouldn't trust a non-black tyre due to a lack of grip.

You're getting into the realm of polymer chemistry here. Sadly, I would concur, the general public, on occasion, can be as thick as pig sh*t :)

An unforgettable lecture, with the hippiest of all lecturers, who had previously spent his undergraduate year in industry with Bostik, mentioned his first attempt at making Blu-Tack. A masticated rubber compound. He chose an orange colourant but didn't get the composition just right. The end result being the posters on the walls of his digs gradually sliding down - leaving an orange trail behind.

StuartW

^^^This, mine are coming off and Mich's going on.

Yes to both of you and I'm the same Matt - following Athol's lead and getting Michelin PS all round as soon as I have scrubbed off a bit more rubber on my P Zeros.
If you find a good deal on the Mich and can get a better price on two full sets, let me know and I will join you

sofasurfer

Like others theres no way I'm ever going back to P-Zeros. Hated them and ever since I put Michelin PSS tyres on the GTS has been transformed in damp conditions.

outrun

Yes to both of you and I'm the same Matt - following Athol's lead and getting Michelin PS all round as soon as I have scrubbed off a bit more rubber on my P Zeros.
If you find a good deal on the Mich and can get a better price on two full sets, let me know and I will join you

By way of an update, i'm just back from Le Mans which is the first real chance to note the difference. I found the Michelin's inspired more confidence with me more able to get the power down early out of a bend without scrabbling for grip and also a more pointy, less jittering front end turn in. They're definitely better. Pirelli can make any colour they like and I'm still not buying them. I'm sure Newton will confirm that the car held on well when pushed without any drama.

StuartW

By way of an update, i'm just back from Le Mans which is the first real chance to note the difference. I found the Michelin's inspired more confidence with me more able to get the power down early out of a bend without scrabbling for grip and also a more pointy, less jittering front end turn in. They're definitely better. Pirelli can make any colour they like and I'm still not buying them. I'm sure Newton will confirm that the car held on well when pushed without any drama.

Good to hear, thanks.
Plus they come with a deeper tread from new and I understand have a better wear rating that the P Zero Corsa, so they're better VFM too which goes some way to softening the blow of spending a G on new rubber!

Ryandoc

I have supersports on the front the the pzero's will be gone in a week on the rear with the new P4S going in their place.

Have to admit though I like the coloured pzero but would never change back and plus I think it'd possibly only suit the proper sports car look like an aventador etc, some price mark up as well