Just for fun... can anyone beat this milage for a 16 year old 3200GT!

tappets

WOW!!!!!! And the money :redface:
is it worth buying a used 3200 engine if you're running a 3200? for 4k it is much cheaper than repairing so long as it has no end float! and runs well!

If you have the space to store it then I'm sure the used engine value can only go up even if it is never required.

Probably worth doing on the 4200 / GS as well if you plan long term ownership or just buy another car for the spares. again if you have free storage.

greeny12

From reading this thread, it seems to indicate that end float either strikes at relatively low mileage (i.e. sub-40K) or not at all. Does anyone have knowledge/experience of end float at 60K-plus miles?

Not that I'm suddenly paranoid of course!

tappets

Fair to say that in addition to the many reasons for excessive endfloat already mentioned,

- driving conditions,
- oil grade/quality/condition/change frequency,
- driver habits,
- usage frequency
- vehicle maintenance etc etc etc

may all contribute to the inherent "weakness" in this engine design. Still think buying a good 01 Auto is a fairly safe option! Can't say I've heard of one failing??????

jluis

is it worth buying a used 3200 engine if you're running a 3200? for 4k it is much cheaper than repairing so long as it has no end float! and runs well!

If you have the space to store it then I'm sure the used engine value can only go up even if it is never required.

Probably worth doing on the 4200 / GS as well if you plan long term ownership or just buy another car for the spares. again if you have free storage.

I bought a cheap engine from an auto just in case ...
Don't know it's condition but if the crankcase and crankshaft are good as I expect them to be then it's already worth the investment just for peace of mind ...

alfatwo

Fair to say that in addition to the many reasons for excessive endfloat already mentioned,

- driving conditions,
- oil grade/quality/condition/change frequency,
- driver habits,
- usage frequency
- vehicle maintenance etc etc etc

may all contribute to the inherent "weakness" in this engine design. Still think buying a good 01 Auto is a fairly safe option! Can't say I've heard of one failing??????

Trouble is Terry,You can't left foot brake and get on the power at the same time with a BTR auto box ;)

Seriously though, most end float problems are still fixable and not the end of the world!

Dave

allandwf

^ +1 Just like the TVR Cerberas snapping crank stories. Yes it can happen but you hear about them on the forums, not the others that have no issues.

alfatwo

I think in the past they've been a bit of bad press, people telling stories and stuff regarding this issue, especially from one or two of the monthly classic mag heavy hitter's

Its just an old car mechanical engineering issue.. the know how and parts are still out there for a good conclusion!

Dave

Ewan

Unfortunately I'm not so sure your confidence is well placed Dave. Plenty of parts required for a 3200 engine rebuild are no longer available. Month by month it gets harder and harder. But if you have a secret supply, please give Emblem a call so we can get the car rebuilt and back on the road.

Contigo

Sponsor
Unfortunately I'm not so sure your confidence is well placed Dave. Plenty of parts required for a 3200 engine rebuild are no longer available. Month by month it gets harder and harder. But if you have a secret supply, please give Emblem a call so we can get the car rebuilt and back on the road.

Why use brand new parts when you can put good quality used parts if there are none available. I bet for £3k I can source a replacement engine with low miles.

Ewan

We are considering the second hand engine route, but would prefer to properly rebuild the original engine if possible. Parts availability will play a big factor in the final decision.

StuartW

Good s/h parts are going to be the only way to keep some of these cars on the road. There is some old, new stock about for some parts of course but the used part market will come to the rescue for sure. There's nothing wrong in that as long as the used part is a good one or has been refurbished

Boomerang_GT

Manual 3200s have a thrust bearing that pulls to operate the pressure plate on the clutch, therefore it does pull on the flywheel & crank!

Ok, didn't know that. Makes me even wonder more why the endfloat problem occurs at the front end...

alfatwo

We are considering the second hand engine route, but would prefer to properly rebuild the original engine if possible. Parts availability will play a big factor in the final decision.

Ewan, So what parts can't you get hold of?

Just checked Eurospares website, your right the 3200 engine parts situation is getting bleak

David Askew, I think still has big end bearings and seals and a few gaskets and I still have a set of oversize thrust bearings somwhere

Dave

sospanbach

daft question does this endfloat issue affect any specific era of cars or all of them from 98 to 02, ? dave