It's official - I'm right !

spkennyuk

The problem with any tech that is embeded into something is that it becomes out of date and cables and things change.

Scart to HDMI for example. Android and apple updates every 6 months or so.

Tech should be made so that its easily upgradeable. You buy a new laptop or desktop for your home every few years. Why not have a common platform so you can buy a new computer for your car every few years ?

Lets face it on a lot of cars the screen in the dash is just a display screen. Which again should be an upgradable part of the system.

Android and apple car play are virtually out of date by the time they come off the production line in car entertainment systems. The hardware will struggle to cope with and run any updates after 2 years and thus become out of date as quickly as your mobile phone.

4200 and GT info systems are a prime example of what happens time and time again because nobody will use an agreed platform. Even ISO plugs are not all the same alfa and vauxhall change the constant and ignition live feeds round to try and force you to go to them for upgrades.

The current methods are not exactly a green policy by the manufacturers either.

alfatwo

The only phone I have is via a cable plugged into the wall socket. same as per the 1980's

1471, After 7 in the evening thanks...

I've no interest what so ever in these mobile smart phone thingies' and all the boll*x that goes with them!

Dave

highlander

like Dave, I don't even own a mobile, yes I have one the council "forces" me to use whilst working but I miss those quiet drives between offices as a time to think not be at a virtual desk........ and I also quite like that marci and Gina are both true old school with no Bluetooth or any inbuilt IT, they can give enough problems without adding IT problems! Lol

alfatwo

Love it Dave and I bet you're still sleeping on top of that Jag starter motor mate :)

I still have it Phil if your interested ;)

What it is my brother in law had factories in Coventry in the 80's and 90's manufacturing all this sort of thing, he recons one or two units now and again in his stables and gets me to try and sell them..

Dave

Grant V

It's the reason why I've put my German Electronic Wonder up for sale - It's overload and too clinical. I don't like it telling me how to drive and I don't know where to switch it all off.

Bought a twenty year old Volvo 850R Estate instead for a fraction of the price of the German. Has character and absurd performance with good old world turbo lag. Plus I can load four fat slicks into the back with tools for race day. Discovered I couldn't do this with the Shooting Brake.

Navcorr

Plus I can load four fat slicks into the back with tools for race day.

Had to read this twice - thought you said chicks there for a moment. Each to their own but to admit to that on a forum takes a brave man. Glad I was wrong :D

midlifecrisis

Just noticed that the new Leon FR Technology that'll I'll be leasing...when it arrives...has ambient lighting in the doors and I can set it to any colour I want...

WHY?

Vampyrebat

My 1st car was a 63 VW Beetle, not a deluxe which meant that the petrol gauge was an option I didn't have!! The windscreen washer was a rubber finger pump in the middle of the wiper control button and the headlight dip switch was a metal button on the floor next to the floor mounted clutch..............I loved that car!!!

Paul - H

I enjoy all the tech kit available today, but there's a time and place for it, up until recently my 50,000 annual business mileage has been in a series of Audi's and BMW's, I have always ticked all the boxes for toys, now I'm doing bugger all mileage the fun I have had in driving a 3200 outweighs all the incar gizmos.

If I go back to needing a high mileage car I guess I'll jump back on the techno theme, but enjoying my driving more now, when doing a high mileage I regularly have to pull into services for a break and coffee due to the boredom, the car does so much for you, last one even did the breaking, distance control, etc, sail past the services now in a manual 3200, you've got to be on your guard.

alfatwo

Your dead on there Paul, If your faffing about on motorways everyday, god forbid! you don't need a classic Maserati 3200GT for that, a normal sh*tty German euro barge or Range Rover will suffice!

Old classic Masers are now for holidays and high days and maybe one or two covert high speed thrashes down to the South of France with your new blonde seat cover ;)

Dave

CatmanV2

PAS: Check
Auto-dim mirrors: Check
Auto-dip reverse: Check
Parking sensors: Check
Keyless entry: Check
Cruise control: Check

I think that's about it.....

C