Lawnmowers

Slowly

Looking at and feeling the artificial grass in the garden centre I thought that some of the variants with finer "blades" would make rather a nice carpet for the ground floor (we have draughty stripped floors at the moment). It would also be moth-proof. However, presumably its fire-resistant properties are not good and it wouldn't agree with a vacuum cleaner which had brushes. My wife was not keen, saying we would have to change the sofas for ones in a toadstool stylee and wear green leggings, jackets and pointy hats.

ETA - actually it could be quite good in the GS as floor matting.

AndyG

This thread has kept me smirking over the last few days, what people don't realise is, that grass, and cutting it correctly IS a science and the machinery to do it to high standard can be very expensive, my company sells pro and a small range of domestic mowers, if anybody really does need some straight talking advice, feel free to pm me or ring me at my works, as a taster have a look at our web site www.getitatglobal.co.uk
097b10defaf40e77b37c7ad7900d6033.jpg

This is one of our machines we sell, a mere £50k with out options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JonW

This thread has been funny...

On a related note, if any one wants to buy a nice shiny red ride-on, I have one of these for sale that is just over a year old and only lightly used...

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 88

Wack61

I bought a ride on from a car boot sale for £50 once, it was fun but took me longer to get it round the back of the house than it did to cut the grass, I only bought it to sell on, an easy £100 profit and a bit of a laugh for a few days

MrPea

I have a bit of a thing about stripes on my green and vaguely grassy patch in the garden. When I was 7, my dad let me mow our lawn and since then he was never allowed to do it (that was my job!) You can tell if I've been stressed because the green patch is lovely and shawn with pretty stripes. I've finally this year had the chance to change my focus from doing up my house to attending to making the green patch a lawn... wow, the scarifying job was quite a task!
Anyway, my mower of choice is a self-propelled push-along cylinder, though I do have a petrol rotary for when the grass is too long. The cylinder one is so much fun.

Slowly

Well, eagerly awaited update to the Sportsmower.com thread.

The Toolstation 40V arrived - smaller, lighter, less robust-feeling than the self-propelled Honda petrol one and smaller capacity collector thingy but Li batteries charged rapidly and it (just) cut all the grass on one battery - though there was the spare battery should it have been required. I doubt it has the power to act as a shredder / vacuum like the Honda did if your O.H. prunes bushes, pulls up weeds etc and dumps them on the lawn just after you've mown it - a strange female behaviour which warrants an entry in the rant thread but that's another matter.
(Mower) easy to push about, quiet, and, a big advantage if your shed is slowly filling with all those things which gravitate there, can be hung up as it doesn't contain petrol and oil. Also smugly satisfyingly green both in colour and emissions - though I'm not going as far as to wear sandals whilst mowing and I've not had a beard for more than 20 years, I can use it to offset the um, 400+gm of CO2 from the GS.

Slowly

It's the sportsmower version, lightweight, smaller engine, Rollers tend to be heavier, more luxurious and waft imperiously about the lawn, this nips about at higher revs.

conaero

Forum Owner
So in order to bring some decorum to this miserable thread, what Italian mowers are available?

There must be a Lambo out there as they started life as a tractor company.

mower.jpg

Wack61

Well, eagerly awaited update to the Sportsmower.com thread.

The Toolstation 40V arrived - smaller, lighter, less robust-feeling than the self-propelled Honda petrol one and smaller capacity collector thingy but Li batteries charged rapidly and it (just) cut all the grass on one battery - though there was the spare battery should it have been required. I doubt it has the power to act as a shredder / vacuum like the Honda did if your O.H. prunes bushes, pulls up weeds etc and dumps them on the lawn just after you've mown it - a strange female behaviour which warrants an entry in the rant thread but that's another matter.
(Mower) easy to push about, quiet, and, a big advantage if your shed is slowly filling with all those things which gravitate there, can be hung up as it doesn't contain petrol and oil. Also smugly satisfyingly green both in colour and emissions - though I'm not going as far as to wear sandals whilst mowing and I've not had a beard for more than 20 years, I can use it to offset the um, 400+gm of CO2 from the GS.

The battery life improves with a few charges , mine did all the front and 1/2 the back when I got it , it is warmer now as well but it did both lawns on one battery and still going at the end , I'm happy with it for what it cost

Havent gone through all the pages, but I did some research last year and happy to share. I have always been keen on cylinder mowers. I own both a cylinder and a Flymo. Both since the 1980's. The Flymo is used when the grass is too long (example after a holiday or being lazy and not cutting it in time in summer). It doesnt pick up the grass. But its effortless and makes a quick cut.

I am now on my second cylinder mower - petrol, with self propelled. I have stuck to Qualcast Suffolk 14" and 16" cut. The roller give a great striped lawn and has variable height adjustment for the depth of cut.

Start of spring I scarify the lawn with an electric lawnraker to get rid of dead grass and moss etc. It then gets put away for the rest of the year until the following April.

Last eyar my old Suffolk Punch had seen me spend £100 on repairs to fix the pawl mechanism on the starter pull cord. I then decided to change it and spoke to the Garden Centre to keep an eye out for a used part-ex Qualcast cylinder mower. In a fortnight a customer traded in his cylinder mower, they serviced it, sharpened the blades, serviced the engine changed the oil and set it all up for the cold start and clutch adjustment for the self propelling mechanism and put a 6 month warranty on it and asked for £270 for it versus a new one at £700+.

After haggling I paid £240 (they gave me nothing for my trade-in saying it would go to a local market and will fetch at best £10 which hardly covers their transport costs and seller's fee.

So my suggestion is to contact a few garden centres on a similar basis and get one that has been traded in and serviced and save £££'s over the cost of a new one. Buying a £5 off eBay is a risk - there is usually a reason why its bing sold for that amount despite claims of "cuts grass great".

Qualcast Suffolk is good and I recommend a cylinder mower every time - it cuts much like a pair of scissors and no rotary mower (petrol or electric) can ever get down to the level of cut that a cylinder mower can give. Self propelling is really useful and not having any electrical cables is total freedom from electrical risks if you cut the cable by mistake by running the mower over it - more common than you think!

Ewan

Hi Andy,

There's a picture of my Lamborghini on p2 of this thread. I bought a 5ft topper so now use it to mow the smaller fields and orchard. But for the lawns around the house I use Honda powered ride-on Countax. And for around the pool and smarter sections that I want in stripes I use a large walk-behind (but powered) Hayter.

JonW

This is my mower - I was tidying it up to get it ready for advertising it for sale last weekend, and really enjoyed driving it around the garden and making pretty stripes. However, if I'm honest we probably ought to have bought a powered Hayter or something similar as only have around 1/2 an acre and it's a bit fiddly with trees, bushes, etc...

If anyone is thinking of buying a ride-on, and wants to save some cash on the price of one new, then feel free to PM me...

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 41

AndyG

Havent gone through all the pages, but I did some research last year and happy to share. I have always been keen on cylinder mowers. I own both a cylinder and a Flymo. Both since the 1980's. The Flymo is used when the grass is too long (example after a holiday or being lazy and not cutting it in time in summer). It doesnt pick up the grass. But its effortless and makes a quick cut.

I am now on my second cylinder mower - petrol, with self propelled. I have stuck to Qualcast Suffolk 14" and 16" cut. The roller give a great striped lawn and has variable height adjustment for the depth of cut.

Start of spring I scarify the lawn with an electric lawnraker to get rid of dead grass and moss etc. It then gets put away for the rest of the year until the following April.

Last eyar my old Suffolk Punch had seen me spend £100 on repairs to fix the pawl mechanism on the starter pull cord. I then decided to change it and spoke to the Garden Centre to keep an eye out for a used part-ex Qualcast cylinder mower. In a fortnight a customer traded in his cylinder mower, they serviced it, sharpened the blades, serviced the engine changed the oil and set it all up for the cold start and clutch adjustment for the self propelling mechanism and put a 6 month warranty on it and asked for £270 for it versus a new one at £700+.

After haggling I paid £240 (they gave me nothing for my trade-in saying it would go to a local market and will fetch at best £10 which hardly covers their transport costs and seller's fee.

So my suggestion is to contact a few garden centres on a similar basis and get one that has been traded in and serviced and save £££'s over the cost of a new one. Buying a £5 off eBay is a risk - there is usually a reason why its bing sold for that amount despite claims of "cuts grass great".

Qualcast Suffolk is good and I recommend a cylinder mower every time - it cuts much like a pair of scissors and no rotary mower (petrol or electric) can ever get down to the level of cut that a cylinder mower can give. Self propelling is really useful and not having any electrical cables is total freedom from electrical risks if you cut the cable by mistake by running the mower over it - more common than you think!

This is exactly why I don't sell domestic mowers, absolutely no profit !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk