4200 stupidly cheap 10k Needs to be gone by Friday

Contigo

Sponsor
Having had a read of the consumer credit act I wouldn't buy a used car from a dealer without finance

This^^^ All very well having the readies to buy outright but don't. Even if you only finance a few K towards it you have far more rights etc....

GeoffCapes

Warranty wise have been great for me *BUT* make sure you get a level of cover that will cover the variators. Mine were good will, which is not something you want to rely on.

C

What cover do you have?

Alternatively, try to agree a mate's rate with Matthew now JUST IN CASE the variators need to be attended to whilst in your ownership - it can't hurt to ask?

Not a bad idea.

CatmanV2

This^^^ All very well having the readies to buy outright but don't. Even if you only finance a few K towards it you have far more rights etc....

I think the same applies if you pay a chunk on your CC does it not? Which means you can pay no interest

What cover do you have?

I *had* Gold when they were done. Now I think it's 10/100. They were not (officially) covered under the gold as they are regarded as external to the engine......

C

Wack61

I read an article a while back about a couple that bought a motor home, they had the cash but on their sons advice they paid £100 deposit on a credit card

Something went wrong and they got scammed , they successfully claimed the whole cost of the motor home from the credit card company even though they'd only paid £100 on the card

CatmanV2

I read an article a while back about a couple that bought a motor home, they had the cash but on their sons advice they paid £100 deposit on a credit card

Something went wrong and they got scammed , they successfully claimed the whole cost of the motor home from the credit card company even though they'd only paid £100 on the card

Exactly what I would expect. No idea if my expectation is correct, but that's what I though the case was :)

C

Wack61

The CC company tried to decline , can't remember if it was court or the ombudsman but they had to pay up , I think it was 30k

Ewan

I doubt that many warranties would cover the variators, given that it is known issue and is related to age and general wear (as opposed to a break).

zagatoes30

Warranty companies will often waive age restrictions if the mileage is reasonable but you need to talk to them, now is a good time as you will get a salesman who is trying to hit his targets. We had the RR on Warranty Direct Platinum which they agreed to even though the car was 10 years old because it had only done 40k miles and it was the end of the month. They also removed the betterment clause for the cost of £50 up front.

That warranty ended up cover just shy of £17k of work over it 2 year duration all for the princely sum of £1300 total.

jluis

Warranty companies will often waive age restrictions if the mileage is reasonable but you need to talk to them, now is a good time as you will get a salesman who is trying to hit his targets. We had the RR on Warranty Direct Platinum which they agreed to even though the car was 10 years old because it had only done 40k miles and it was the end of the month. They also removed the betterment clause for the cost of £50 up front.

That warranty ended up cover just shy of £17k of work over it 2 year duration all for the princely sum of £1300 total.

And they say Maserati is unreliable ...

Ewan

My RR is in for a service today, and having checked the paperwork beforehand I noticed it's not needed new brake discs since 2010, some 55,000 miles ago. In fact, since then its had little more than a couple of sets of tyres, brake pads, oil changes and wiper blades. It's been the most reliable and cheapest car I've had for ages.

But being a supercharged petrol variant, the mpg isn't great.

philw696

Love it Matt.
That's Motorcars for you.
I have had 2 P 38 Range Rovers and never spent more than 400 pounds and never once did they not get me home and always under its own steam especially the 4.6 when it did a head gasket but all easily fixable.

zagatoes30

Early L322 RR have a list of known issues and I knew that going into it, I checked each out with the warranty company before we bought is and over the 2 years most issues appeared and were resolved.

Highlights

• Power Steering Column, nylon gear attached to metal worm resultant wear is a new column at £4.5k from LR
• Various Suspension wear, control arms, air bags, air pump all replaced £3k
• Entertainment / Sat Nav information system - prone to failure £2.5k to replace
• Xenon headlights, £700 each

The good news is that most replacement parts are upgrades and are much better than the original ones so post work it is much better. Later versions of the RR especially post 09 are much much better.

mattjevans

I had an RR Sport Supercharged "First Edition" back when I lived in Dubai (thankful for cheap petrol).

Reliable engine lots of issues with the air suspension

Ewan

So, has anyone bagged Geoff Capes' bargain yet? Surely someone wants/needs a 4200 for £10k, if only as a daily/station car to keep their other car(s) nice.