Power steering issues

petronic

Hi quick question never any issues with PS. Left the car undercover for a couple of weeks. Got in it started no problems. Fluids checked all ok. Very heay steering near center but when past this point seemed to get freer? Excuse the words but seemed a bit lumpy in the centre position. Drives of no fluid on the floor reservoir is ok. If the pump had gone could i steer it?

So any advice please thanks Peter

philw696

Possibly the universal joint on the column gone stiff from standing but I would be surprised.
Can you see the fluid circulate in the reservoir ?

davy83

could be UJ's in the steering column or maybe the trackrod ends seizing up a bit? are they in good shape? could it be suspension ball joints? perhaps if you drive it a bit it will ease up?

petronic

Ok so if i lifted the front of the car would i feel anything when turning the steering wheel.
Again can i safely open the steering fluid chamber with the engine running? If i can should i get someone to move the steering would i see the fluids move.
Any other thoughts would be appreciated

philw696

You will see the fluid move on idle even more if someone loads the steering careful not to make a mess.

petronic

Thanks thought it wise to ask never had an issue like this had the car since June 09.

petronic

Re fresh the question any other views or experience on this mechanics out thier any advice please as very frustrating with many years of faultless pleasures and not flush with cash to pass it to the garage yet and get a bank loan.

FIFTY

Have you had a look at the AUX belt and pulleys? Not had this happen to the maser but a friends E46 had its pulleys covered in engine oil which killed the power steering on centre as the belt was slipping.

Maybe call youe local indy and ask for their opinion, if you get through to one of the technicians they are usually happy to give free advice

Andy Marshall

This may sound weird but how old are the tyres? If you've had the the beastie "stood" for an extended period and the tyres are old it may be that they have hardened and distorted a bit, creating some weird sensations as the various angles change from lock to lock? I had something similar once on an old TVR I had......

allandwf

Just to confirm, remove the reservoir cap and see if fluid OK, also check colour, hopefully it's not black.

petronic

Hi fluid colour ok. Tyres seem ok. Have not checked fluid movment yet need the wife!!
Turn the wheel to the left gets easy to move will not re center. turn to centre gets stiffer turn to hard right gets easy. Turn back to centre reverse issue. Could the pully become seized or slipping pressure not sufficient to move easily then as i add extra force the full pressure of the fluid kicks in and it moves. Is that possible i am the extra power it needs. It wont self centre without help.

davy83

Hi Petronic. You have a curious problem here! The only real issue i had with my steering was a leak and when the oil got low it behaved oddly, and got quite dangerous. The only other stuff around the steering that wears out is the track rod ends (3-5 years) and the bottom ball joints, same 3-5 years. the rack gaiters also get perished and need replaced, and these can cause problems. The hydraulic unions on the rack itself can come loose if inexpertly worked on (my initial leak was these unions loose, i got new copper washers and it was fixed. your problem sounds to be related to the power steering itself, it unlikely in my mind to be ball joints or track rod ends as these would not give you a center position problem, they would just give you vague steering probably.
How stiff is the steering? are there any noises associated with this? I would think if the pump belt is slipping, or indeed if the power steering is working against a stiff UJ or the steering wheel is binding some how, it would get noisy where its working hard? If its a lack of hydraulic power it seems odd that its only in the center position? if the pump is not working you would expect it just to be hard to steer no matter what position its in, When i lost fluid (so no hydraulic power) the steering kind of locked up on me, and it was near impossible to move, not subtle and not position dependent and quite scary. Not sure any of this helps but you need to either get in there and start looking for trouble or has been suggested get a garage that knows these cars to have a look?

petronic

Ok thanks off to a friend with a garage latter and will lift of the ground and have a look underneath. Also try steering with the wheels off the ground a any wear etc will update you peter

petronic

Update manged to get the car in the air friday. At last with my trusted mechanic. Good spray of WD and some other spray for freeing joints job done. His mechanic moved the wheel whilst we looked at the knuckle just above the steeringbox. good spray lots of wiggling. Knuckle had seized up standing outside despite twin covers etc. Not enough road time during the winter
Just like our joints seizing as little use condensation etc. So problem solved so simple but worth passing on. Thanks to all for the advice petronic

philw696

That was my thoughts.
Keep an eye on it though as if corossion has started I would consider replacing.
That's why these cars need using regularly in my opinion.