MOT Exemptions

Terry

As I`m just about finally to put a 1951 Daimler on the road (famous last blinking words!!!) after a nut and bolt rebuild, I went to have a chat with my friendly neighbourhood MOT Station. Obviously the car is exempt, but I would like someone independent to go over the machine just to double check my work. The two questions which they raised (and to which they didn`t know the answers) were;
- if you take an exempt car for an MOT and it fails, is it then illegal to take it back on the road to go home to work on it
- if you submit an exempt car for MOT, does that effectively nullify the exemption, meaning it has to be tested annually in future?

Any legal experts out there?????

Thanks

Terry

Wack61

Just ask for a pre mot check , let them do the test without logging the registration

ManInBlack

A car of that age is most likely to fail the modern mot! Since it has become digital with online filling in there are things with the classics that won't now be recognised & therefore fail! I had a 1970 Citroen DS which had a seep in on of the hydraulic pipe joints, the new system didn't have any relevant way of adding this as an advisory, as there are no longer cars produced with any type of similar system, so the guys left it off, but it needed to be there! Personally I think that there should be a "road worthyness" certificate issued by, maybe, classic repair garages for owners peace of mind & as evidence when selling? Could be a way of the government making a few quid also!

philw696

As an ex UK tester you can advise anything you want just manually doing it.
If you drive a vehicle knowing it has defects you are breaking the law I'm afraid.