3200 battery dead. Scared of doing the wrong thing.

bean79

Hi All

I know this has been covered but I can't find a thread that matches my exact situation. So, at the risk of getting a bit of stick I thought it best to ask for help.

My car unlocks and first attempt at starting dash lights were on but it wouldn't start. Just a click. This must have taken any last life out of the battery as the immobiliser light went out (retro fitted). Although it still locked (sounded slower than usual) which on reflection may not have been a good idea.

I have no mains where the car is stored so can't charge on site.

Couple of questions...

1. Is it safe to get the RAC to get the battery going then take it for a long run and see what happens?

2. Should I just replace the battery?

The car hasn't been used since New Years Eve. Up to this point everything worked perfectly. Battery was in good shape.

The real sting in the tail is that I was just about to install a very competent solar panel system to trickle charge the battery. However, got taken into hospital on New Year's Day and only got out last week.

Thanks for reading.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

conaero

Forum Owner
Take the battery out, take it home and charge it or put a new one in.

With a 3200 I wouldn't put a booster pack on it they are very sensitive.

bean79

Thanks Conaero

Am I right in thinking that a mains charger isn't far off the cost of a new battery? In which case I may as well go for the new battery.

conaero

Forum Owner
You can get a charger off eBay for about a tenner, I have had mine £20 years.

How olds the battery? If it's over say 2.5 years I would just get a new one.

bean79

Thanks for the links.

I've only had the car 6 months so not sure of battery age. Think I will go for a new one.

Is it a simple job to get out and back in again? Any little Maserati idiosyncrasies to be aware of?

Navcorr

....... However, got taken into hospital on New Year's Day and only got out last week.

Please excuse the bad taste but, as taking the mickey seems to be the forum norm, that was one **** of a Hogmanay celebration!! We get an extra day on the 2nd up here to recover - but an extra month! ;)

(No offence intended and sorry to read of your misfortune.)

Contigo

Sponsor
Mine is constantly on a LIDL conditioner and I have used a boost pack on it when it was too low for the conditioner to bring it back from the dead. Don't worry about it, I've also bump started one before.

bean79

Please excuse the bad taste but, as taking the mickey seems to be the forum norm, that was one **** of a Hogmanay celebration!! We get an extra day on the 2nd up here to recover - but an extra month! ;)

(No offence intended and sorry to read of your misfortune.)

No offence taken. Almost 2 months in total. Flipping nightmare.

All good now though and itching to get behind the wheel.

bean79

Mine is constantly on a LIDL conditioner and I have used a boost pack on it when it was too low for the conditioner to bring it back from the dead. Don't worry about it, I've also bump started one before.

That is what I did with my daily. Just a bit paranoid about the Maserati. New battery I think.

bean79

I've been searching for tips on getting the battery in and out. No joy.

Is it really simple and therefore no advice is required? Even for a mechanical dunce?

CatmanV2

Really simple. Just do negative first and last. If there's an isolator switch on the 3200 flick that first.

C

MUC3200GT

50 days not starting a 3200 means draining 24mA*24h*50d=30Ah (not considering satelite trackers, problems of the alarm sirens batteries and non standard radios), which is near of 50% of the capacity from a brand new Batterie of the 3200. So just recharge and see what happens

RW3200

Is it really simple and therefore no advice is required? Even for a mechanical dunce?

Nowt to worry about, it is simple.
There is an isolator switch in the form of a dial to the left of the battery as you look at it square on (back of seat), it has on/off printed on it.

There is also a securing bracket which will need removing but its only one bolt, forgot the size.

Disconnect battery, push cable clear and the battery will come straight out, might need a bit of a tilt to clear the lip on the base, and be careful not to disturb the fuses though there should be ample room.

Don't bother with the RAC, get a battery and change it. 5 to 10mins and you'll be done, no worries.

And DON'T open the doors while the battery is dead, the windows won't drop.

Hope this helps.
R

bean79

Nowt to worry about, it is simple.
There is an isolator switch in the form of a dial to the left of the battery as you look at it square on (back of seat), it has on/off printed on it.

There is also a securing bracket which will need removing but its only one bolt, forgot the size.

Disconnect battery, push cable clear and the battery will come straight out, might need a bit of a tilt to clear the lip on the base, and be careful not to disturb the fuses though there should be ample room.

Don't bother with the RAC, get a battery and change it. 5 to 10mins and you'll be done, no worries.

And DON'T open the doors while the battery is dead, the windows won't drop.

Hope this helps.
R

Really helpful, thank you very much!

StuartW

Not all 3200's have an isolator knob (only the later cars).

If you do have one, you should get in the habit of turning it off if the car is being left for anything more than a couple of days, it's a good habit to get into if you're not able to connect a battery conditioner. I used to switch mine off all the time once I fitted a new Bosch battery, and I never had a problem with a flat