Car stolen

Needamaser

Last call for help!

I'm about to give go ahead to have 2 new keys programmed which will mean stolen key will activate alarm and will not start car. This is a lot cheaper than new locks and alarm (2.5k).

My only concern is insurance. They are awaiting confirmation that the locks are sorted. Will the above solution be enough for them or will they insist on changing all the locks? No point doing something that will mean i won't be covered by insurance. Is there wording i can use to ensure they are satisfied with just the reprogramming?

Thanks again everyone.

P
What happened with the loss of key insurance cover you had? Did you contact them?
Secondly does your car policy not have loss of key cover already under it??
Most policies cover this automatically up to a limit of around £750.

I would think you could have problems if car vanishes again because you have replaced half the security system. You know if someone has the key they can open your car.
You will have to tell Insurer what you are planning to do and get written confirmation they are happy with that. I strongly suspect they wont be.
Please don't try and fudge what you tell the Insurer. If anything happened again you are up the creek without a paddle. Same thing if you move to another insurer. Remember claim is recorded and any future claim will highlight this and the new insurer will want evidence of what you did to sort.

ps1

Thanks so much.

No key/lock cover as part of car insurance - quotemehappy have confirmed this. I could claim and get them to do it, but would lose no claims bonus and presume this would then hike up my insurance next year.

Keycare have written already saying my only option is to appeal to financial ombudsmen on the back of my phone conversation with them, but am in process of writing response letter with formal complaint.

Latest is changing locks and reprogramming new keys without need to change alarm (so saving a grand) but waiting confirmation that this is feasable as Giallo def said not.

P

Needamaser

Thanks so much.

No key/lock cover as part of car insurance - quotemehappy have confirmed this. I could claim and get them to do it, but would lose no claims bonus and presume this would then hike up my insurance next year.
Not sure I understand what you mean. You don't have cover but you could claim and they will do it?
Just read their policy wording online and they don't have an extension specifically for keys so I am guessing they are saying if you claim for the theft they will pay for replacement locks etc?
if so if you have protected no claim bonus your premium probably wont change more than it will anyway and if you don't have protected bonus rise will be about 20% more.
Either way compared to cost of replacing the system that might be the way to go?

CatmanV2

Thanks so much.

Keycare have written already saying my only option is to appeal to financial ombudsmen on the back of my phone conversation with them, but am in process of writing response letter with formal complaint.

Latest is changing locks and reprogramming new keys without need to change alarm (so saving a grand) but waiting confirmation that this is feasable as Giallo def said not.

P

Depends which bit of the lock. If you can get barrels and blades (David Askew?) there should be no issue. God knows how you'd order spare keys though.

I'd have *thought* that you could use an old key to lock a new key to the alarm system so not really sure why you'd need to change that.

C

ps1

Dear all,

Thanks for all advice as always. Matthew at Giallo has come through for me yet again, and for under a grand i'll have locks changed and new keys without having to fiddle with alarm. This keeps insurance company happy and gives me peace of mind.

I will keep you posted as to Keycare battle, and perhaps pick brains for help in future!

Thanks again all.

P

Wack61

Got to ask, if it's a £1000 out of your pocket surely it's worth claiming on the insurance and getting it done with all new locks , you only lose 20% NCB for one claim don't you

It's all BS anyway , my wife had 0% NCB when I bought the B class but she only paid £100 more that it would have been with my full NCB had I insured it for both of us.
T

CatmanV2

Dear all,

Thanks for all advice as always. Matthew at Giallo has come through for me yet again, and for under a grand i'll have locks changed and new keys without having to fiddle with alarm. This keeps insurance company happy and gives me peace of mind.

I will keep you posted as to Keycare battle, and perhaps pick brains for help in future!

Thanks again all.

P

The man is a legend

C

ps1

He definitely is! And albeit almost a grand for locks etc my excess is 850 quid so def not claiming!! Now everyone's gonna tell me i'm the only fool with such a high excess!!! Ho hum....

Happy sunday everyone!! The daffodils are out and spring is on it's way! The cars are getting itchy to be out on the road and into the beautiful english countryside soon!! I know i'll be enjoying my beauty to the max in these months!!

P

2b1ask1

Special case
No, I have a £1,000 excess and a policy that covers the excess, worked out well for me last year.

Wack61

you can insure an excess :confused:

I can see why you're not claiming now but it doesn't seem fair some lowlife stole your car, the insurance gets off Scott free and you're £1000 out of pocket

ps1

Thanks totally and utterly to everyone's advice and help, my complaints letter to keycare was responded to within 48hrs, and they will cover the cost of changing the locks and keys. Really really appreciate all the help. This forum is so awesome, and everyone so engaged and supportive. If only the NHS were set up with a handful of like-minded people we would not be in such a mess!!

Thanks again.

P

spkennyuk

We should charge a claims assist fee. No win no fee all proceeds to the forum beer fund ! :lol2:

Good news and the right result in the end.

Navcorr

Insurance working for you as it should be, well done indeed...

I wonder how much of Keycare's change of mind was down to the reduced claim value.

.... Matthew at Giallo has come through for me yet again, and for under a grand i'll have locks changed and new keys without having to fiddle with alarm..... I will keep you posted as to Keycare battle...

P[/QUOTE

I suspect your written threat of referring to the Ombudsman had much to do with it too. 9/10 times the O will side with the claimant when a fair claim is presented. This scenario is a very good example of just how poorly managed the insurance industry can be.

But you presented your argument and stuck with it. Congratulations.