Cracked Windscreen

VMSRTI

I'll have to look at Aussie fitters. A small chip appeared in mine yesterday.
Pretty sure I am entitled to a free one every year anyway and have never claimed this in the three years I have had the car.

Any Melbourne guys used someone they can recommend?

VMSRTI

thanks Glassman, I was expecting a Melbournian to pipe up but got a Londoner!
How do you know these guys ?

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Grrrrr, windscreen hit by a stone yesterday, big chip and a long crack.

Churchill insurance policy says it will pay the total cost minus £75 excess with Autoglass, or if using anyone else will just pay up to a max of £125.

Looking at the advice here, sounds like Insurer+Autoglass+Pilkington+£75 will make it right.

windscreen.jpg

zagatoes30

Do Autoglass user Maserati glass or cheap copies? I would assume the former as I can't see there being the demand for non OE glass for Maseratis.

StuartW

Do Autoglass user Maserati glass or cheap copies? I would assume the former as I can't see there being the demand for non OE glass for Maseratis.

They use Pilkington but without the Maserati trident logo on, but as far as I could tell it is essentially the same glass

AaronE

Pilkington is the only manufacturer of the windshield, OEM included (though OEM gets a trident instead of a circle)

MarkMas

Chief pedant
They use Pilkington but without the Maserati trident logo on, but as far as I could tell it is essentially the same glass

Yeah, that's what Autoglass told me. They said I could have the trident, but then my insurance company would not pay the extra cost.

They say it is a 'level 4' job (with 6 being the hardest) and will probably send 2 people, and think it will take 90 minutes (next Tuesday).

StuartW

Yeah, that's what Autoglass told me. They said I could have the trident, but then my insurance company would not pay the extra cost.

They say it is a 'level 4' job (with 6 being the hardest) and will probably send 2 people, and think it will take 90 minutes (next Tuesday).

Do make sure you thoroughly check the screen first before they take your old one out. I rejected the first one they came with as it was damaged on the edges. And also make sure they don't misplace any of the scuttle panel screws!

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Well, an Autoglass guy came on Tuesday and and put in a new windscreen. Took him a bit more than 2 hours. New windscreen has trident logo, which is nice. He did what seemed to be a good, careful job, although one of the windscreen wiper adjustment screws has a stripped head so will need to be replaced. And one of the windscreen washers does not seem to work, now. He even provided a new parking ticket clip to replace the one I had.
Windscreen 1b.jpgWindscreen 2b.jpg

CatmanV2

Well, an Autoglass guy came on Tuesday and and put in a new windscreen. Took him a bit more than 2 hours. New windscreen has trident logo, which is nice. He did what seemed to be a good, careful job, although one of the windscreen wiper adjustment screws has a stripped head so will need to be replaced. And one of the windscreen washers does not seem to work, now. He even provided a new parking ticket clip

That's a neat little thing. Tickets won't be around much longer though. What's these wiper adjustment screws?

C

phills1

PPF for glass is available now - mine is going on the windscreen ASAP having already had the car done from new.

MarkMas

Chief pedant
I called Autoglass to complain that the driver-side windscreen washer had stopped working since their visit, and they were very concerned and helpful. They are sending someone out to look at it on Tuesday.