Flappy noise from RH dash when going over bumps in 2009 QP

MarkMas

Chief pedant
When I drive over a bumpy surface (this happens a lot as I live in Gloucestershire) I hear a slightly metallic flapping noise (like the flap of a messenger bag or handbag, clanking against its catch) that sounds like it is from somewhere low down on the dash (although I know that sound location can be very deceptive). One flap per bump, or very occasionally two. I thought it might be the stupid shelf where the CD changer would be if I had one, or the little door near that (see picture) but both of those seem to be non-flappy. Any ideas what is causing it?

Flappy noise 2.jpg

(I had a similar problem with my Jag X-Type - sounded like a rattle in the sun visor, turned out to be loose trim under the steering column!)

Attachments

• Flappy noise.jpg
    Flappy noise.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 6

MarkMas

Chief pedant
Turns out the noise is coming from the speaker beyond the instrument binnacle - so the right-hand one in the picture. If I press down on it while driving (not easy), the noise stops. Now the question is WHAT exactly is loose in the speaker somewhere......
speakers.jpg

safrane

Plastic lift tool between the grill and dash and lift it out you may find the wiring has lost its foam covers.