Last unregistered Maserati Stradale........

StuartW

Interesting stuff. It's rare for a manufacturer to completely manage to mis-communicate whether it is actually making cars at a particular plant! Maserati seems to give the impression of being run in a very perculiar manner.

Indeed, they are far from singing from the same hymn sheet it seems which is frustrating for customers and no doubt equally so for the main dealers too

Ewan

The stopped making any Msseratis at the Modena factory several weeks ago. Now the Alfa 4C is the only car being made there. Orders for new GranTourismos stopped a couple of months back but there are still a few unregistered cars available.

Andyk

I guess it can be as rare as you like sat on the forecourt or in showroom, as with anything its only worth what someone is prepared to pay, I just cant see them becoming a rare collectors item for a long time...
But I admit I am no expert on these things

Agree Dave.....The 4 seater Stradale has some way to fall before prices become firm. My colleague didn't buy either.....His reasons .... He said it sounded amazing but didn't feel that fast for the money and he felt the gearbox had an old fashion feeling to it and not in a good way .....bThese are his words by the way not mine as I would have one at the drop of a hat.....He has put a deposit down on a McLaren 12c Spyder instead which cost him an extra 20k over the Stradale but he said it was worth it....

rockits

I would probably agree with that. There is a raft of cars in that price range that are a generation ahead of the Strad. Needed a bit more power/speed to make it a truly special finale. I am starting to agree that the 2 seater with 4 point harnesses, the race carbon seats & roll cage will be the most sought after version long term. It needed to hit 60 in 4 or less to truly compete.

As hard as it is to say if I was in the market I certainly would be considering an R8 or McLaren

Andyk

I have driven a 12C Spyder and it was an amazing experience. I never felt it to be sterile like you read in the press and yes light years ahead in terms of speed, handling etc against a Stradale. You would need to find a bit more money though over a nearly new Stradale. Didn't sound as nice as a Stradale mind you but you could add an aftermarket exhaust.

azapa

I was at a bbq yesterday with car-nut mates. a 570s, 650spyder and 675 were present (Mclarens). They are lovely cars, the simple interior, wide sill, stance. But there is only one car that got the looks when we all started up and pulled away. I am certainly thinking of getting one, a 12c sypder probably, but I KNOW that every time I start it up and drive it I will miss the stradale. And No, an after market exhaust will not remove that turbo throttling.

When the 570s, about 10m from the lunch table, started up, my wife spontaneously said it sounded like a lawnmower...

DSC_0399.jpg

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
You go to good BBQs, azapa. :smile:

For 109k I'd definitely test a 12C or two, and if I could raise the money for a Spider I'd probably put up with the shite soundtrack compared to the glorious tunes of a Maser.

murph7355

Agree Dave.....The 4 seater Stradale has some way to fall before prices become firm. My colleague didn't buy either.....His reasons .... He said it sounded amazing but didn't feel that fast for the money and he felt the gearbox had an old fashion feeling to it and not in a good way .....bThese are his words by the way not mine as I would have one at the drop of a hat.....He has put a deposit down on a McLaren 12c Spyder instead which cost him an extra 20k over the Stradale but he said it was worth it....
Presumably the 12C was a good bit older??

They're very different cars and I'm a bit surprised someone in the market for one would buy the other.

Rarity is only a good factor on price when there's pent up demand. I'm not sure there is at over 100k for these. I also like them, but whilst rare the general platform has been around a long time now.

Andyk

He was looking for a weekend end toy murph7355....He looked at the Maserati as he loved the sound and looks but felt it wasn't worth the money new as the other cars on his list handled better, drove better, were quicker and more fun on his favourite twisty bit of road....He felt that Maserati had not moved the car on over time although he thought it was the best sounding one by a country mile.....His words not mine......He decided he would get more performance and car going used.....He test drove the McLaren, Asyon Martin Vanquish, BMW i8, Ferrari 458 and Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera........He picked the McLaren as he loved the simple interior over the others.....he said the performance was absolutely additive....He felt that the car gave him the biggest sense of occasion yet it he wanted to use it everyday he could.....and it wouldn't break down.......Hecis a very lucky man having to make the choice I think.

philw696

We have just had an Australian guy crash a $20 million Mcclaren claiming he was only doing 110 kilometers per hour.Screenshot_20161205-201642.jpg

murph7355

He was looking for a weekend end toy murph7355....He looked at the Maserati as he loved the sound and looks but felt it wasn't worth the money new as the other cars on his list handled better, drove better, were quicker and more fun on his favourite twisty bit of road....He felt that Maserati had not moved the car on over time although he thought it was the best sounding one by a country mile.....His words not mine......He decided he would get more performance and car going used.....He test drove the McLaren, Asyon Martin Vanquish, BMW i8, Ferrari 458 and Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera........He picked the McLaren as he loved the simple interior over the others.....he said the performance was absolutely additive....He felt that the car gave him the biggest sense of occasion yet it he wanted to use it everyday he could.....and it wouldn't break down.......Hecis a very lucky man having to make the choice I think.
We're all very privileged to be able to drive these sort of cars.

Much as I love my GT, if I didn't have kids I would still be in another 2-seater. A Maser GT will always be compromised in comparison on the handling and performance front. But then none of the others can carry 2 adults and 2 kids 200 miles in comfort for a weekend (and sound great at the same time as looking stunning :)).

Good that he tried it, but it was never going to cut the mustard. (I'd have had the 458 :) Though I saw a 570GT recently and it looked good from the back. They just sound a bit...dull).

Andyk

McLaren has certainly improved the looks and performance of the cars since the 12C. My choice would be the 570GT. There is a 570S for sale at the Bristol McLaren dealer and just looks lovely sat in the showroom. Your GT is rather lovely though my friend...Loved it the first time I saw the advert.

bigbob

We're all very privileged to be able to drive these sort of cars.

Much as I love my GT, if I didn't have kids I would still be in another 2-seater. A Maser GT will always be compromised in comparison on the handling and performance front. But then none of the others can carry 2 adults and 2 kids 200 miles in comfort for a weekend (and sound great at the same time as looking stunning :)).

Good that he tried it, but it was never going to cut the mustard. (I'd have had the 458 :) Though I saw a 570GT recently and it looked good from the back. They just sound a bit...dull).

Spot on. I bought my 3200 when child #1 came along and have had a 4200 and now the GTS for this reason. At the moment I would probably have an F Type if I did not need to travel 3 or 4 up.

if the new Maserati large coupe goes 2+2 then it's a real shame.

hoyin

This is just my opinion. But if you want something that can sit 4 adults then there is nothing like the GTS or Stradale. If you want a 2 seater car I see no reason to get a 2 seater strad.

There is so much out there that beats it in terms of speed, handling, looks (for a 2 seater sports car). For noise out the box - sure the Strad is right up there but noise is not everything. For me if you are getting a 2 seater you want the best drive, whether that be performance or handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbob

Agree with all that too but many on here will not.

Let's face it Maseratis' are slow, thirsty and have average handling so they need a USP and, for the GT/GC, it is the rear seats and the looks. Sales have now stopped because it is so off the pace in the case of the negatives that the positives do not compensate enough.

JonW

Agree with all that too but many on here will not.

Let's face it Maseratis' are slow, thirsty and have average handling so they need a USP and, for the GT/GC, it is the rear seats and the looks. Sales have now stopped because it is so off the pace in the case of the negatives that the positives do not compensate enough.

And the sound... for me, the main reason I'm in a Maserati is I needed a car I could transport the family in. The second reason is how it looks (I figured I'm going to look at it everyday), and the third reason is the exhaust note. Every time I hear that I get joy from it...

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
The sound is what sold it to me. Made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and my trousers tingle. Simply bloody stunning. My dream garage would always have a Maser in it, no question.

Phil - ouch!

JonW

The sound is what sold it to me. Made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and my trousers tingle.

TMI - surely?

Also, I know this is thread drift, but if it was on pure sound alone, I would have possibly gone for a C63 AMG. However, they look like a Mercedes...

azapa

TMI - surely?

Also, I know this is thread drift, but if it was on pure sound alone, I would have possibly gone for a C63 AMG. However, they look like a Mercedes...

to continue the skew.. they do sound nice, very nice in fact, a deep grumble, but not "exotic" enough. The Italian cars manage that higher pitched howl component that gets me! They don't even look that bad, the problem is that they drive like a Mercedes :)