CCTV setup recommendations please

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Our first home was in a good area of the village in the middle....it was on the walking route between the less desirable area at the top end of the village, and the working mens club at the bottom end of the village.
Just over 10 years ago at the time I had just taken delivery of my new company car, a brand new BMW. It could only be parked on the road side (my Elise and Stag in the garage, the Mrs car on the drive), and yes, you guessed it, within the first week it had been vandalised nice deep scratch across the bonnet....not saying it was necessarily someone walking to/from the less desirable area or the working men's club of course. Yes it was repaired, but within 2 years the lacquer started coming off the bonnet so was never 'perfect' as the rest of the car.
We moved soon afterwards! (although to be fair not just because of this, we had outgrown the house)

Moz1000

Sorry to hear about this mate. I can offer no comfort I'm afraid. Unfortunately, you may have to just put this down to the cost of ownership of a desireable car. Moving house is not the answer - you may still end up with a spoilt kids mates doing the same, no matter the area - good or bad.
Stick up some IP cameras that you can monitor on your phone (loads on Ebay) just so you can gather evidence in the event of a recurrence.
However, be careful not to antagonise the w4nkers - put up something obvious and you may find they'll see it as a challenge. The police will not be interested in this. And please don't go down the vigilante route - you will end up worse off.
Moz

philw696

I'm a believer in Karma it just takes too long.
If they get caught they just get a slap on the wrist you get caught doing over a 100 mph and your seen as bad as a kiddy fiddler.
The system is all wrong.
Keep the faith though Phil.

maverick

That's a **** mate , you sounded proper *****d off this morning when we chat , sell up Newbury is a dive , Neighbours house is for sale , nice quiet culdersack road ,oh hang on I would be your neighbour , scrap that idea

Neil183

Phil, that is a real bummer indeed.

I own an NSI NACOSS Gold accredited security Company based in North London and have been involved in the business for around 30 Years. Sadly I see this sort of thing more and more often nowadays and residential CCTV systems are really increasing in numbers.
Somebody earlier mentioned HIK Vision, they are current market leaders in the professional CCTV sector and have some great products, I would suggest the Dark Fighter IP range probably. We can get the kit at a good trade price as we are approved partners and I am happy to pass this on to any forum members.
PM me if you want some more info or advice?

Cheers

Neil.

Jkulin

Sorry to hear this Phil, the sad thing is that whether it be on your own property or outside your work if they want to create damage they will.

When I picked up my new Jag in 96 I had it keyed twice and white paint thrown over it and then the passenger door kicked in, none of which was on my property!

Can you fit railings around your property to stop idiots getting near the car?

rockits

That's not good & sorry to hear this Phil. These people need a hand or two lopped off as the did in the far east years ago. The police or cps in this country is just not robust enough. There are so many crimes being committed as the risk/reward balance is so out of whack. They know firstly they are unlikely to get caught....then when they do they are unlikely to be prosecuted. The balance is very very wrong. In essence the govt are harbouring criminals really....that is a crime in law itself and society on a whole.

I have a 4 channel system which is all PoE powered with 2 hard disk bays bought empty. Just run a CAT5 cable to each point for power & network. Stuffed a 4tb drive in it with all the normal web or iPhone/Android access. Decent enough vision and good HD def during day. I have 50w LED security lights with PIR's just below the cameras.

I'll check out the make/model as I got it from our AV disty Luxrite as a bundle with 4 cameras to start with.

Don't sell the car. You'll regret it. They could do it to any car. Unfortunately your car is loud & will attract more attention than normal. Maybe some jealous idiots took exception.

Move is always good. We leave a tiny bit cut off still close enough to stuff but far enough away that we don't see many people!

I'm not sure camera or lights actually would prevent a pro thief or a determine idiot doing anything but it must help improve the stats against issues.

It is a tough one not to lose your rag over but be strong it let it be water off a ducks back. Don't let the bar stewards wind you up or wear you down....your better than that Rise above the scum that the unfortunately we know exists today.

Yorkshire-Trident

Sorry to hear this, some people are just dicks for no reason.

We have a cheap system at home, quick and simple to set up and surprisingly good quality for the money. Check out Y-cam.
Cameras work through wifi or cat5 network. All videos are stored online. Decent app to watch and change settings on your phone too.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

drewf

Sorry to hear that Phil - you need a decent big garage to put all your stuff in. Move house to the countryside mate, it's the only solution.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Shite, Phil. Really sorry to hear that, mate. We've got some HD cameras round the house and garden. Very discrete, but as much as anything it's a deterrent rather than a way of catching them. Just got to look like there's less risky mischief and cvntery to be had elsewhere.

As others have said, don't sell it. Chances are it was properly random and won't happen again.

NickP

That really does suck, nothing is worse than a dickless piece of sh1t messing with a mans automobile....

Contigo

Sponsor
Plod been on and they can't use the boot prints off the car (I **** you not) so no need for forensics so I can use the car now. I managed to pop the roof out by laying on my back with shoes off and pushing the roof lining very hard with my feet, it's popped out now leaving 4 very large creases on each corner of the roof panel, awesome! :(

So off to Dick Lovett Spray Shop tomorrow for a quote, it could well be a write off.

JonW

This is one of those times to put the swear filter to good use... I'd be so ******* annoyed if this happened to me. What a bunch of absolute ******* w##kers

Really sorry to hear this...

allandwf

Bas****s!! I've only had this happen twice, but not as bad as the sound of yours. Someone kicked in the Alfa GTV behind the door, and another time someone thought it a weeze to walk across the old Lotus Europa. Just pondlife, we have to live with them unfortunately.

MrMickS

That's absolutely f ing fantastic. Complete and utter w**kers. Really hope it's not written off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear of this. Don't understand why it would be a write-off though? Generally a repair needs to be in excess of 65%-75% of market (or agreed) valuation before total loss is considered.

If you've insured for agreed value, you will get that value no quibble and get back into a similar car at little or no incremental cost - that being the under-pinning principle behind such valuation.

But a loss is still a loss if that's the outcome.

D Walker

So they danced on your roof!!
That is a horrendous - Put the word out with a cash reward for a successful conviction. Somebody will sprag.
Doesn't sound like this was kids who suddenly decided on a whim to vandalise your car.
Then when you know who they are...........

GeoffCapes

That's ******* horrific. I'd quite happily dance on the head of whoever did it if that ever happened to me.
Scum. Nothing more nothing less.

Hope the car can be fixed.

Contigo

Sponsor
Sorry to hear of this. Don't understand why it would be a write-off though? Generally a repair needs to be in excess of 65%-75% of market (or agreed) valuation before total loss is considered.

If you've insured for agreed value, you will get that value no quibble and get back into a similar car at little or no incremental cost - that being the under-pinning principle behind such valuation.

But a loss is still a loss if that's the outcome.

At a guess, screen out (new one in £2k min part), spot welds drilled out of roof panel, new panel, frame could well be beyond repair and needs new one. Parts for these cars like bonnet are £9k so not long before the price is into the £15-20k region and it's usually 60-70% for a write off.

Contigo

Sponsor
So they danced on your roof!!
That is a horrendous - Put the word out with a cash reward for a successful conviction. Somebody will sprag.
Doesn't sound like this was kids who suddenly decided on a whim to vandalise your car.
Then when you know who they are...........

Already drafted one to put in the local shop where the scrotes hang out. Tempting but honestly it might just aggravate the ******* more and cause grief.