First Post- Might jump on a Spyder?

Kartherma

Hi all,
I just joined up and wanted to introduce myself...

I am Curtis and I'm a car-a-holic.

On a serious note, I am looking at a 2003 Spyder with the 6 speed manual (third pedal, not F1) with 30,000k miles on it.
Looked nice today- but does have some of the normal stuff I see on 13 year old cars (nothing that would break the deal for me I think...)

Anyways, I hope to be a good member and contribute (but I suspect I might be asking a lot of questions first...)

That said, I am on Oahu for about 3 years and was thinking I wanted a convertible. I've been a bit of a wrench so I was looking for cars I could work on and taking my sweet time to find the right one.
That's when I stumbled across this one. California car shipped out here about 3 years ago. Black with black interior and black top (with glass).

Any Spyder owners have any heads up issues for me?

Thanks!
Curtis

philw696

Welcome Curtis.
When the Spyder owners wake up they will be along.
Im a Coupe man myself and a Cambio Corsa fan but have driven a couple of manuals and I like them.
Phil.

Andyk

Welcome to the forum........Not had a Spyder but there are a few on here that can help with any Spyder questions. Look forward to hearing about your purchase and experience once you get one.

zagatoes30

Spyder have all the same issues as the Coupes so feed back from any manual 4200 owner will be useful. On top of that hood condition is a big thing, they are expense to replaces and do wear if not looked after, a bit reproof every year helps to stop them fading but a lot will depend how long its been exposed to sun (not a major worry in the UK ;) ).

Other than that the other problem is that Spyders flex more, the removal of the roof even with the strengthening and the shorter floor do lead to scuttle shake and chassis flex, no more than most other convertibles but noticeable. This means that components get rattled a bit more glove boxes often and the cubby hole between the rear seats often flip open for no reason and trim bits can sometimes work loose as well.

On the other hand when the sun is out and the road ahead is clear there is little to beat the sound of the glorious V8 coming from behind with no mute effect from a roof. Smiles for miles they take a lot of beating.

rockits

I have both a manual & CC 4200 at the moment & prefer the CC to the manual. The manual is fine but think the CC suits the car better.

Stewart

Hi all,
I just joined up and wanted to introduce myself...

I am Curtis and I'm a car-a-holic.

On a serious note, I am looking at a 2003 Spyder with the 6 speed manual (third pedal, not F1) with 30,000k miles on it.
Looked nice today- but does have some of the normal stuff I see on 13 year old cars (nothing that would break the deal for me I think...)

Anyways, I hope to be a good member and contribute (but I suspect I might be asking a lot of questions first...)

That said, I am on Oahu for about 3 years and was thinking I wanted a convertible. I've been a bit of a wrench so I was looking for cars I could work on and taking my sweet time to find the right one.
That's when I stumbled across this one. California car shipped out here about 3 years ago. Black with black interior and black top (with glass).

Any Spyder owners have any heads up issues for me?

Thanks!
Curtis

Hi Katherma,
Welcome I have a Spyder which is on the market, it is in tip top condition, I have run her for 4 yrs and I have no bills one problems and have covered 13k miles of Scotland during this time,she now has 37k on clock, full service history,all documents and books from previous owners and she has every extra fitted apart from phone.

She is undercover from Nov. Till April.

Should this be of any interest to you let me know.

Regards and good luck,
Stewart.

zagatoes30

Hi Katherma,
Welcome I have a Spyder which is on the market, it is in tip top condition, I have run her for 4 yrs and I have no bills one problems and have covered 13k miles of Scotland during this time,she now has 37k on clock, full service history,all documents and books from previous owners and she has every extra fitted apart from phone.

She is undercover from Nov. Till April.

Should this be of any interest to you let me know.

Regards and good luck,
Stewart.

Stewart, as Curtis is based the other side of the pond I suspect that a UK spec car is not what he is looking for.

Kartherma

Yes, I am in Hawaii and not really up for shipping cars- I shipped one here when I moved out to the island and while not too difficult, there are plenty of cars here already that fit into my range.

Thanks for the welcomes and advice!

Vampyrebat

Hi Curtis

A very rare beastie to find, I have only seen about 3 cabs with a manual box. Can you send a link to the one you are interested in. There is a 2003 on Autotrader (I think) with a facelift front end which looks quite nice at a glance.
I have a manual 4200 which I (personally) prefer, however, most of them have a tight 2nd gear and reverse selector takes a bit of getting use to! Also I hear the clutch last longer on the manuals.

Kartherma

Here she is. A few rashes in the paint and on the rims- all something I can sort out fairly easily.

mas.jpg