strange clicking noise from the back of 4200

Spartacus

I keep hearing a long sequence of clicking ever now and then ( not a relay clicking , but like a cd stack changing disc ) from the back of the car on the drivers side .

( and no its not the cd changer ha ha )

I have changed the F1 relay and no change . I have no gear errors or warning light s and the F1 pumps runs at its normal intervals

could it be the carbon canister valve or a fuel pump ?

and clues ?

Last edited:

StuartW

I had a clicking like you describe on a Freelander and it was a faulty fuel pump which was mounted in the top of the tank so it could be that?

Spartacus

There are two fuel pumps on a 4200 arnt there? So could it just be the one on the drivers side ? Does any one know where they are situated , are they inside the tank ?

CatmanV2

Yes inside the tank. And submerged normally. And in the boot, a long way from the driver. I'd be surprised if you can hear it.

Does it stop if you fill up (or at least get quieter)?

C

Spartacus

Iv just had my head stuck in the boot whilst it was running . I removed the rear partition and i can hear something either in the tank or on the top of the drivers side wheel arch right near the back seat straining , clicking and groaning and making a vibration evey now and again .It sounds like a mechanical telephone exchange indexing if that makes sense . Ill try and get a video of it tomorrow .

It definitely seems to be fuel related

Last edited:

conaero

Forum Owner
If you pull the carpet trim that is in front of the tank in the boot, you could pull the power to the drivers side fuel pump and see if it stops, then you know your on the right track.

Oh, and tack the ciggy out your mouth before you do it :atishbazi:

The fuel flap is on that side and has a electro magnetic release, check its not that shorting, and also your hifi is off as it might be one of the rear speakers. Does the reverse buzzer work, thats that side under the parcel shelf too, it could be making odd sounds.

Spartacus

The stereo was off and the reverse buzzer works . It does sound abit like an intermittent electrical short making something click whenm you pull doen the rear carpet trim down .

spkennyuk

Just a thought could it be the actuator for the skyhook ? Thats right near the location your talking about but i would have thought it would throw a suspension error.

Spartacus

...i had a suspension light come on briefly over the weekend , has any one else had a shyhook actuator play up ? it could be that

spkennyuk

There is a thread on it somewhere sparts. I will see if i can find it. From memory its a check and clean wiring/contacts first and if it persists or you get a permanent light on the dash then i think just the actuator can be changed.

conaero

Forum Owner
The 4200 does not have the actuators that sit on top like the 3200 which are prone to breaking, the actuation is done all inside the shock, the wire goes straight inside the shock.

Think David Askew can rebuild them though from memory.

Your suspension error light might have been caused by it being up on the ramp, it may not come back again.

spkennyuk

The 4200 does not have the actuators that sit on top like the 3200 which are prone to breaking, the actuation is done all inside the shock, the wire goes straight inside the shock.

Think David Askew can rebuild them though from memory.

Your suspension error light might have been caused by it being up on the ramp, it may not come back again.

I stand corrected Matt. I didnt realise the 3200 actuator sat on top of the shock rather than under the top cover.