Refueling problem 3200AC

kimgoblin

Ok here's a weird one for you all. Recently I've been having problems refueling the black beastie.Not wallet related problems given its apparently relentless thirst but actually putting the fuel in in the first place. Im refueling when the needle is getting low or when the petrol light comes on. However it is as if the tank is almost full when I do . I squeeze the petrol pump trigger and moments later it clicks off and then keeps clicking off every few seconds. It took me 15 minutes to put £30 of juice in it today in 3 to 5p dribs and drabs and at one point overflowed pouring petrol out over the side. Gave up at that point and left in a strop though the needle on fuel guage had advanced about the right amount to around a quarter full so dont think it's the guage that's at fault. It's as if there's an air lock or a kink in the tubing leading to the tank or something preventing the fuel from getting in. The problem seems in true Maserati style to be intermittent,had it consistently a week or so ago then absolutely fine until today. Drives perfectly otherwise. Is this something others have experienced and if so any ideas how to fix it would be as usual very gratefully received. Thank you Kim

midlifecrisis

Sounds to me like a breather pipe is blocked or you may be simply pushing the petrol pump nozzle in too far or at a wrong angle. Have you tried adjusting your refuelling technique? I just put it in a couple of inches and I don't have a problem with flow...(stop sniggering at the back!)

allandwf

There is a recent thread on this very subject somewhere here. It may be the carbon canister. Others find that if they put the nozzle in sideways it helps. Mine does it from time to time, but not every fill.

StuartW

I had the same problem with my AC. I went to a different garage and it was fine. It seems the different pump nozzles are not all to the liking of the 3200. But I also concur with the sideways entry getting better results, so to speak

zagatoes30

Typical SM thread on angle and how far to push it in to get good results :)

Always been the naughty boy sniggering at the back of the class

Ebenezer

Then you might recall this from your school days....
The angle of the dangle is proportional to the lust of the thrust provided that the urge remains a constant....:)
Eb

conaero

Forum Owner
I always put my nozzle in upside down and it works for me....read into that what you want :)

zagatoes30

I rest my case

One of mine only takes it an inch and upside down and then spits back very minute or so

kimgoblin

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice. In answer to the queries , I've tried inserting just the tip or burying it to the hilt and ( not to sound big headed ) literally tried upside down ,back to front and all variants through 360 degrees to no avail. Also several different petrol pumps on the same forecourt - much to the bemusement of the attendant ,as well as several different petrol stations to pretty much the same effect. Then suddenly it works fine for a bit , sometimes at a petrol station where it was playing up a week earlier. Im going to give the breather pipe a try but not too sure how to access it. It appears from the link kindly suggested that it exits into the wheel arch , presumably on the drivers side but do I have to remove all the boot carpeting to access it? I've had a look in the cubby hole where the battery and master switch are located and cant see the tank or canister so not too sure where to begin.

alfatwo

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice. In answer to the queries , I've tried inserting just the tip or burying it to the hilt and ( not to sound big headed ) literally tried upside down ,back to front and all variants through 360 degrees to no avail. Also several different petrol pumps on the same forecourt - much to the bemusement of the attendant ,as well as several different petrol stations to pretty much the same effect. Then suddenly it works fine for a bit , sometimes at a petrol station where it was playing up a week earlier. Im going to give the breather pipe a try but not too sure how to access it. It appears from the link kindly suggested that it exits into the wheel arch , presumably on the drivers side but do I have to remove all the boot carpeting to access it? I've had a look in the cubby hole where the battery and master switch are located and cant see the tank or canister so not too sure where to begin.

Yea all the boot carpeting has to come out and its a bast@rd to get back in especially on the left hand side!

Its easy to sort when everything out of the way..

Dave

spkennyuk

Conaero / Matts description from another thread describes the process :-

"remove the trim from the rear lip of the boot opening, weather seal then its mainly push fixings but be careful taking the side liners out, you have to bend them to get them out and they are brittle and snap/crack."

You can then get at the carbon canister and breather pipe. I think there is also a purge valve on top of the 3200 canister which can go faulty. ( something i read somewhere on here).

Pm MrChristy im sure he can give you a detailed guide if you need it.

mchristyuk

The canister is on the passenger side, my photo was just rotated by 90 degrees in my thread when I posted it.

I had the carpet out on my old 3200 and it was a bit of a pig of a job.. the 4200 is much easier...

Either way there will be a pipe going from the carbon canister to the wheel arch. I disconnected from the carbon canister and tried blowing through it.. and couldn't. Pulled it back by a few mm and it was fine. The end must have crumpled up against the wheel arch liner.

Once in there it's not difficult to remove the canister and try blowing though it. All that paths should be clear. If they're blocked (which they eventually will do over time) then it's time to fit a new one.. or open up the old one and replace the chemicals.

Cheers

Mark