Is the Sat Nav on the Gran Turismo any good?

spkennyuk

Still can't see it happening. Computer hardware moves way too fast for embedding in cars. Look at the iPhone 4 you have in the draw. Not only will it not run the current software, it probably *can't* run the current software. When the new hardware becomes available, everyone codes to take advantage of the new features.

*If* it was *just* a display mirror (and control) it might be feasible to keep it going for maybe 10 years. But then resolutions (for example) would change too much and the screen in the car wouldn't be able to show the image. Compute is just not consumer durable as yet.

C

Thats exactly what i mean Chris. I probably didnt make it clear in my description. The touch screen in the dash would just plug into the upgradeable infotainment system in the boot.

You could update the infotainment hardware every 5 years or so and it be still be reasonably up to date. Faster processor more ram bigger hdd or ssd and latest software.

The screen / control unit in the dash would eventually fail but again if its a standard size /shape screen then it could be a standard part to replace in the custom facia.

I really think the only way it would happen is for apple and android to produce the kit and supply to the car manufacturers. That way it would encourage a 2 to 3 year upgrade cycle in the same way as we have with mobile phones. More money for the software companies and the car companies if they put their mind to it.

CatmanV2

Ahh I see. Hmm that might work. Raspberry pi type think would be ample.

Next problem will be integration to the CANBUS, which you (probably) couldn't do for all the reasons we just mentioned, or the updates would become proprietary and massively expensive.

You could have another screen for CANBUS functions in the same way the GT has a basic LCD display for HVAC

Better answer, though

C

murph7355

I've been reasonably happy with mine and updated my discs to the 2015 version, but I didn't even know it had a partial postcode search function. I have not seen that on the menu when entering an address (is it really that obvious?!) & can't recall it from when I read the manual, I assumed it was just town & street name like the Navteq on my Nissan truck.
I must dig the manual out again - I guess it's even better than I thought!
You enter the characters in the town field IIRC (not done it for a couple of weeks :)).

tbh, you still need the street name you need so it's not that much use.

How are you finding the 2015 maps? Worthwhile?

Mr K

Hi, just about to get my Gran Turismo in a couple of days and was wondering what members thought of the sat nav? Is it any good? Should I purchase a stand alone unit or is the Maserati unit perfectly ok to use in the UK and Europe??
Any comments will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Colin.

Are we talking about the pre-bluetooth version fitted from about 2003 to 2008 which is actually a Blaupunkt Travelpilot DX? If so, I have extensive experience of using it alongside a recent Garmin across Europe. No point commenting if not the DX, though...

b14desman

Are we talking about the pre-bluetooth version fitted from about 2003 to 2008 which is actually a Blaupunkt Travelpilot DX? If so, I have extensive experience of using it alongside a recent Garmin across Europe. No point commenting if not the DX, though...

Hi, thanks for your reply. It will be the later version as the car has bluetooth.

spkennyuk

Ahh I see. Hmm that might work. Raspberry pi type think would be ample.

Next problem will be integration to the CANBUS, which you (probably) couldn't do for all the reasons we just mentioned, or the updates would become proprietary and massively expensive.

You could have another screen for CANBUS functions in the same way the GT has a basic LCD display for HVAC

Better answer, though

C

If the canbus didnt go via the info system to start with it would make more sense. 4200s via NIT is a nightmare where the GS doesnt have that problem. Any additional car info you wanted could be picked up from the OBD II port and fed to the hardware in the boot. Pre wired feed at factory i mean.

Its all easy to do it just requires the car companies working with apple and android for the mutual benefit of them and the end users which creates sales through upgrade cycles while keeping up with technology.

CatmanV2

I think people want it the other way around though. Like music / satnav / radio data repeated in the dash pod.
Then in more modern vehicles there are all the configurations that need to be accessed. In the GT everything from the screen colour to the sound of the warning beeps is configured through the main screen. If you're going to add another screen, you may as well have a tablet and connect it via bluetooth. And we go round again :(

I simply can't see a sensible answer.

C

StuartW

You enter the characters in the town field IIRC (not done it for a couple of weeks :)).

tbh, you still need the street name you need so it's not that much use.

How are you finding the 2015 maps? Worthwhile?

Thanks for that, I must try it.

The 2015 maps are fine, they definitely show up some new roads local to me which weren't on the 2008 pre loaded into my car before. They are a faff to load though. From memory, there are 13 discs for all European regions with each having to be loaded individually, taking around 30 minutes each and you have to follow a very strict procedure otherwise you risk your whole system freezing which needs to be re-set with a SD2 unit. Of course the discs don't come with the appropriate loading instructions, I had to get those after the event once my system had temporarily frozen! But all was well in the end.

spkennyuk

I think people want it the other way around though. Like music / satnav / radio data repeated in the dash pod.
Then in more modern vehicles there are all the configurations that need to be accessed. In the GT everything from the screen colour to the sound of the warning beeps is configured through the main screen. If you're going to add another screen, you may as well have a tablet and connect it via bluetooth. And we go round again :(

I simply can't see a sensible answer.

C

It would still be the same Chris. Single screen. Im really not explaining this very well.

Think of it like the 4200 set up. The screen and control point in the dash. The actual computer being in the boot rather than the arm rest and it being plug and play upgradeable. Pull out unit. Slot in the new upgraded unit and your good to go.

Manufacturers GUI and Logo can either be loaded in situ or pre loaded via computer. The CANBUS information and control of car features would be picked up by the Manufacturer pre wired at factory OBD II compliant connection into the boot mounted computer. Not just a plug in module to the existing OBD II port.

That should via a manufactuer specific GUI full control over everything and anything from music and sat nav to heating to damper and gearbox mode settings.

It just requires the car manufacturers, apple and google to work together now and the systems could start appearing in cars in 3 to 5 years. Its about as future proof a system as your going to get. Even future connection types could be available on the swap out unit in the boot.

CatmanV2

I get what you mean but I think the problem is that nothing (other than the OBDII) is shared across the manufacturers. We assume this from the fact that you simply can't access any of the other CANBUS devices unless you have the SD2 /3 or similar. (There are third party scanners that can do this, but they are still damned expensive) So unless the manufacturers are prepared to standardise things like HVAC, you'll still be tied into a Maserati upgrade.

Make sense?

C

Bobby Dandruff

Hi, just about to get my Gran Turismo in a couple of days and was wondering what members thought of the sat nav? Is it any good? Should I purchase a stand alone unit or is the Maserati unit perfectly ok to use in the UK and Europe??
Any comments will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Colin.

The satnav on your phone will be better!

murph7355

Spend a bit of time using it. The more I use mine the more I think it's actually not that bad. Try and get used to what the various buttons and dials do when pushed. (Main gripe if the buttons are tiny!).