3200 A Few Problems

sdlangford

Back to brakes, had the system flushed and fluid changed and bled on Friday.

Mechanic said when he flushed system, there were small white crystallized particlies in the brake fluid. He thought maybe water particles in system ? as he had not seen this before.

Will keep an eye on it, make sure it has fixed issue.

Simon

Almichie

Long term water in oil normally turns to a jelly like substance but is white. Could be the jelly with added heat which has dried it out.

CatmanV2

Long term water in oil normally turns to a jelly like substance but is white. Could be the jelly with added heat which has dried it out.

I doubt it. The mayo you describe is formed (I understand) by the forced emulsification of water in the oil by lots of spinny engine parts. Just like making salad dressing.

I can't see that happening in a braking system

C

allandwf

The white jelly and "Mayo" are different. I had never seen the jelly like substance before until I took my Alfa apart, ( Water in the oil.) I had the usual mayo, but also a substance akin to wallpaper paste between the liners, this I hadn't seen before. You are right though possibly a result of emulsification but looks different. You can see it between the liners in this picture.DSC_2386.jpg

CatmanV2

Oh yes. I wonder what that is. I cant' imagine it's emulsified oil /water (although there is likely someone that knows better) as I'd expect that to be more opaque due to the, well, emulsification....

That looks very nasty. I wonder if it was a mix of OAT and glycol? Very rapid googling seems to indicate you can get a gel from that:

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/cooling/cool_121.htm

C

Almichie

Oh yes. I wonder what that is. I cant' imagine it's emulsified oil /water (although there is likely someone that knows better) as I'd expect that to be more opaque due to the, well, emulsification....

That looks very nasty. I wonder if it was a mix of OAT and glycol? Very rapid googling seems to indicate you can get a gel from that:

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/cooling/cool_121.htm

C

Oat is the inhibitor (film costing) and actually stabilises glycol in the correct concentration (22% by volume min), less can cause glycol degradation and bacterial growth in the fluid, jelly in glycol is bacteria or the colouring breaking down.

CatmanV2

Oat is the inhibitor (film costing) and actually stabilises glycol in the correct concentration (22% by volume min), less can cause glycol degradation and bacterial growth in the fluid, jelly in glycol is bacteria or the colouring breaking down.

Change your nick to Alchemist :)

C

Almichie

Apparently (some) additives in petrol can cause this as they're not soluble with synthetic oils, the dispersants get used up within the oil and a sponge like structure forms and jelly is created. Mineral oil engines don't suffer the jelly but the viscosity increases.

Applicable for Oil built from a PAO base

Topbomin

I has my radiator core replaced this year but have only just finished putting it all together. Perhaps I will stick to the green after all; it seems to be a bit of a rigmarole flushing out the old. Another fault was an awful scream from the engine, when pulling, over 2,500 revs. I removed the Kayser valve and took the non return valve from the pipe to the air cleaner and have put it in the line to the servo. Hey presto, no scream and the brakes are fine.