More 3200 woes

RSM Masser

Sadly I must report the embarrassing non starting at Brands Hatch is it the battery.
Having tried charging it I eventually found the receipt, took it back to Halfords, they stuck it on a machine which said it was good - but the girl changed it anyway, no hassle , no quibble, can't argue with that.

But it won't start. Just one click, lights dim if on, so I suspect the starter motor.

conaero

Forum Owner
Sadly I must report the embarrassing non starting at Brands Hatch is it the battery.
Having tried charging it I eventually found the receipt, took it back to Halfords, they stuck it on a machine which said it was good - but the girl changed it anyway, no hassle , no quibble, can't argue with that.

But it won't start. Just one click, lights dim if on, so I suspect the starter motor.

That is flat battery...100% check the connection too.

RSM Masser

Mmm I hope so. I'll put it in charge tonight, although they tested it in the shop to make sure it was.
Battery connections are tight and lightly greased.
I'll check under the bonnet although not sure what you see or get to near the starter

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
If it's a Yuasa, take it back, drop it on her foot and tell her to hop off and get a Bosch silver.

RSM Masser

It will still only give 12v
The starter was really slow at Brands, seems almost like it's stuck now, shame you can't give it a good whack with a mallet, always worked on British Leyland cars

alfatwo

It will still only give 12v
The starter was really slow at Brands, seems almost like it's stuck now, shame you can't give it a good whack with a mallet, always worked on British Leyland cars

You still can, it's just an hour or so before you can get to it ;)

And don't get stitched with starter motor prices,£70 gets you a new one!

Dave

redsonnylee

Did it just suddenly give up or were there any warning signs of hard to start before, I mean taking 2-3 times before turning over. Be useful to know if there were any symptoms for the future.

RSM Masser

Starting was slow about a couple of years ago, I suspected the stet motor then, but a new battery cured the problem and the central locking not always working as well.
I haven't noticed any slowness in the cranking, except for just as we set off for the parade lap at Brands (I put this down to the car being locked/unlocked, doors open all day etc.
The next time it started (or rather failed) was on the track itself but a kindly Marshall gave me a boosted start, which is why I thought it was the battery.

So from working OK to nothing in 3 steps!

For £70 I'll get a new one, should have replaced it when I changed the knock sensors - it's the same amount of work to get to it

redsonnylee

I see, my knock sensors need doing so going to sort out the starter motor as preventative maintenance at the same time to. Mine does not always start first time (always been like this) but am using it so much now hence the question.

I'm back from Rome and off till 12th Sept so must organise to come and hear your exhaust before going back to the office :)

Contigo

Sponsor
Starter motor does nothing if it is goosed. Only way to tell if you suspect it is to bump start it.

RSM Masser

Can't bump start a slush box
Where in th UK can you get a new one - I've searched the part number and it comes from EU at 77euro

davy83

ok there are a couple of things that seem to cause problems on the 3200. battery is prone to trouble and i can only echo the words on getting a really good battery it does help. The other thing to check is the wiring, the main supply to the starter is one seriously long and heavy gauge wire that runs all the way from the battery in the boot to the starter terminal, this does not generally cause problems, but check it a good connection at the battery as some of them have complicated terminal clusters on the battery terminal, which can come loose. The return current from the starter has to get back to the battery, so the grounding can cause issues. There are two heavy braided earth straps that pick up the back of the starter mounting bolts and are bolted to the body below near the gearbox, worth checking these look in good condition and are not rusty where they contact the body, this can be a problem, with age. Also check the 0v or earth connection to the body near the battery as this can corrode too. And finally the starter itself is also prone to problems because it gets so hot in there, and they do not last long. I replaced my starter with a Bosch replacement which with a small amount of alteration to the mounting bracket was a perfect fit and, the combination of this, fresh ground straps, and the biggest most expensive battery i could jam into the battery slot has got rid of any starting issues completely. good luck with it.

RSM Masser

Thanks
Some good advice there
I have checked most of where you describe, everything looks ok so it is pointing to a goosed starter motor.
Oh well it's "off with its head" tomorrow!