GS Prices

mikem

Oh yes (diplomatically of course). They did eventually increase the offer but nowhere near the true value in my opinion (but I am slighltly biased). Anyway it will shortly be in the hands of the ombudsman.

Rex B

The only way to be sure you can get what you need to replace your car is to take out an agreed value policy. The one for my 3200 was £400for £15k and this included full UK and European breakdown for 12 months.

Rex B
Manual 3200

2b1ask1

Special case
Similar situation, I had an agreed value on the car and after a visit from an independent assessor they (Hiscox) paid without quibble and in fact the agreed value was on the money in my opinion, I just never expected to be claiming.

The problem I have however is the Total Loss + policy I had along side the main one, as far as I was concerned it was with Hiscox too but it turns out it was this was with another company who have gone into liquidation. This policy is supposed to pay out 25% of the value in a total loss, they were trying to argue the glass guide as the value not the agreed value. THis was in dispute when they went pop. The policy will pay out eventually but no hope at the moment and it will possible be ham-tied to the Glass value, we shall see.

allandwf

Been there also when my Alfa Spider was written off. Guide valued it around 3k, independent assessor called in and got 6.5k It does take a lot of, uneccessary, hassle though.

highlander

The only way to be sure you can get what you need to replace your car is to take out an agreed value policy. The one for my 3200 was £400for £15k and this included full UK and European breakdown for 12 months.

Rex B
Manual 3200
Agree. Adrian flux handling marci's insurance - 5k miles per year, agreed value 15.5k and buy back clause, a tad over £300 all in.

rockits

Lovely examples Dicky has again. Not normally a fan of Blue interiors but that two tone blue GS is pretty decent looking O think.

Not a fan of Grigio Nuvolari on a GS for some reason. Not sure if it is the dark wheels or the GS styling but it doesn't look right to me.

The mid & dark blues really suit the GS.

Interesting thread which I have read across all thirteen pages. I'm considering a 4200 Coupe or Gran Sport and trying to evaluate if I want to sopend the premium on a GS over a 4200 Coupe. I take on-board general price movements. The same thing is happening across many older air-cooled Porsche cars - silly prices for such old cars that are susceptible to extremely expensive corrosion to fix (example spend £30k and then spend £20k sorting out corrosion that comes to light after you bought it) and you'll still only have a £35k car after all that - probably low figures but you get the drift.

Dealers are advertising some of these older P cars at silly money and they stick for ages. Different story on Turbo and GT3 cars with that famous Metzger engine. They are snapped up before they reach the ads - especially manual cars (GT3 only manual before someone corrects me).

I think Maser at low £30k for Gran Sport would have to be exceptional, clean low mileage examples with full service history. It is speculative to buy as an investment.
It will probably be cost-free motoring over a 5 year period, but it may not be. If it is, its an added bonus.

At the end of the day, a car is probably only worth what someone is willing to pay for it against the choices they have at point of purchase.

I am at the starting point and studying the forum as a first idea of researching the cars and prices. But my interest is growing (unlike my research with a Merck SL55 AMG and Jag XKR). The Fezza's have out-priced everything and my regret is I didn't buy a 360 in 2013 for £55k to accompany the Porsche.

The Maser has a lot going for it and appeal - not the least of which is sensible entry costs and likely maintenance costs over a Fezza. But I don't see it climbing in price as I have witnessed with Porsche water-cooled turbo and GT3 cars.

I plan on doing around 4-5k mils per annum between a Maser and the Turbo. But I have a daily driver in which I do 8k miles per annum.

My studies will continue as will the research on the final model I settle on, then I'll look in earnest. Great help from all on the forum. Many thanks.

Team GCR

I am at the starting point and studying the forum as a first idea of researching the cars and prices. But my interest is growing (unlike my research with a Merck SL55 AMG and Jag XKR). The Fezza's have out-priced everything and my regret is I didn't buy a 360 in 2013 for £55k to accompany the Porsche.

I think you will be surprised how satisfying a good GranSport can be, especially with a bit of fettling such as Formula Dynamic springs, better exhaust etc.,.. As someone who is on their third GranSport variant and who also owns a 360 Spider I can tell you I don't regard the Maserati as a 'lesser' car than the Ferrari.

In fact now I have the GranSport MCV I think I would keep the Maserati if I had to choose between the two!

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I think you will be surprised how satisfying a good GranSport can be, especially with a bit of fettling such as Formula Dynamic springs, better exhaust etc.,.. As someone who is on their third GranSport variant and who also owns a 360 Spider I can tell you I don't regard the Maserati as a 'lesser' car than the Ferrari.

In fact now I have the GranSport MCV I think I would keep the Maserati if I had to choose between the two!

Plus, in my opinion at least, the Maser is by far the nicer looking car. Not only that, and I'm guessing here, public reaction is likely to be consistently more positive.

Happy hunting, cheshiremaserati.

That comment about the 360 versus your Maser gives me encouragement that after purchase, I probably will not have that internal dialogue in my head each time I get in it telling me "You should have dug deeper into the savings pot and bought that 360 with manual box you always wanted".

Seriously, one of the things going on in my head is the same as the 911 Turbo purchase 4 years ago. Do I buy a nice C4S with the same wide body, suspension and brakes as the turbo for at least £10k less (but with an engine that would give me sleepless nights having to sleep with a sixpence under the pillow and the thought that if it lets go, it'll cost me the wrong side of £8k to strip and rebuild it) or do I spend £10k more and buy the Turbo which I always had as a uni student on my bedroom wall (and buy into a true race-derived dry-sump Metzger engine from the Le Man winning GT1 car) to fulfil that passion? I'm so glad I bought the Turbo first time and not via a stepping stone with a C4S. The prices of both have shot up - but the difference between a good 996 Turbo with manual box and a good 996 C4S is FAR BIGGER than £10k now after only 4 years!

Every time I get in the Turbo I remind myself what would it have been like each time I got into a C4S - that dialogue in my head saying "you should have bought the turbo!"

I feel that same sense with a Gran Sport versus a facelift 4200. Today, I'm 51% in favour of upping the budget and going for a GS and 49% for the 4200 facelift!

I don't mind the extra if the prices and return on a GS come time to sell in at least 5 years time makes it the better proposition. I'm not an investor, its just that I'd like to see neutral cost of ownership.

Last edited:

Ewan

Buy the best GS you can find/afford and you'll not go wrong over a 5 year spread. Not that there's anything wrong with a 2005/6 facelift 4200, it's just that I do think you'll have that "what if I'd have bought a GS?" feeling.

I've not used mine for a fortnight or so, but typing the above has made me decide to take it to work this morning.:)

MrCoop

That comment about the 360 versus your Maser gives me encouragement that after purchase, I probably will not have that internal dialogue in my head each time I get in it telling me "You should have dug deeper into the savings pot and bought that 360 with manual box you always wanted".

Seriously, one of the things going on in my head is the same as the 911 Turbo purchase 4 years ago. Do I buy a nice C4S with the Samna wide body, suspension and brakes as the turbo for at least £10k less (but with an engine that would give me sleepless nights having to sleep with a sixpence under the pillow and the thought that if it lets go, it'll cost me the wrong side of £8k to strip and rebuild it) or do I spend £10k more and buy the Turbo which I always had as a Unit student on my bedroom wall (and buy into a true race-derived dry-sump Metzger engine from the Le Man winning GT1 car) to fulfil that passion? I'm so glad I bought the Turbo first time and not via a stepping stone with a C4S. The prices of both have shot up - but the difference between a good 996 Turbo with manual box and a good 996 C4S is FAR BIGGER than £10k now after only 4 years!

Every time I get in the Turbo I remind myself what would it have been like each time I got into a C4S - that dialogue in my head saying "you should have bought the turbo!"

I feel that same sense with a Gran Sport versus a facelift 4200. Today, I'm 51% in favour of upping the budget and going for a GS and 49% for the 4200 facelift!

I don't mind the extra if the prices and return on a GS come time to sell in at least 5 years time makes it the better proposition. IN'm not an in vector, its just that I'd like to see neutral cost of ownership.

I've had my GS for just over 12 months now and it's more than wiped it's feet with the neutral cost of ownership. Saying that though, it's all relative to what people are prepared to pay for it vs price it's up for sale at. I've toyed with the idea of 'upgrading' to a Stradale or maybe even jumping to another marque but it puts a HUGE smile on my face every time I drive it, plus it gets LOTS of attention....and I've never been averse to receiving attention!

leeq61

I totally agree with you here Kupe, I've never had a car which gets as much attention as the Gransport, plus it always makes me smile every time i press the Start button and it starts with a growl. Worth every penny in my opinion.

I've had my GS for just over 12 months now and it's more than wiped it's feet with the neutral cost of ownership. Saying that though, it's all relative to what people are prepared to pay for it vs price it's up for sale at. I've toyed with the idea of 'upgrading' to a Stradale or maybe even jumping to another marque but it puts a HUGE smile on my face every time I drive it, plus it gets LOTS of attention....and I've never been averse to receiving attention!

GeoffCapes

If your budget allows buy a GS.

I was going to buy a GS, but then had to buy a new work car, so my budget only allowed for a 4200.

However, I'm certainly not disappointed with my 4200, in fact I love it. But I do see it as a stepping stone to either a GS or a GTS or even a Strad if a few big work projects come off.
It's not a keeper like so many GS's seem to be now. Probably why their prices are rising, whereas 4200 are a bit stagnant at the moment.

DPS20K

I think the 4200 vs GS debate really comes down to which one you prefer the looks of. Personally I was going to get a 4200 until I saw a GS for the first time and then only a GS would do for me, but I know that for others it's the other way round. Go look at a couple and buy the one that you fall in love with. Buying a Maserati is a decision for the heart not the head!
As for the cc box, properly set up it is great and really engaging to drive.

Ewan

Push the budget out, be patient, and get an MCV version of the GS. Only about 11 in the UK, and none currently for sale, but very special and worth the premium.

MrPea

I had a 4200 and thought it was amazing - it was my "dream car" - and then I got to upgrade to the GS variant. I have to say that the smile is so much bigger in the GS, and for a very similar looking car on the outside (42 and GS both black, so very similar externally) gets way more attention in a very good way.

Team GCR

Push the budget out, be patient, and get an MCV version of the GS. Only about 11 in the UK, and none currently for sale, but very special and worth the premium.

Agreed but your car never came on the open market and the only other sales in the last 18 months have been the car I now own - twice and I tried to buy it the first time and succeeded the second. So I think you would have to be very patient!

According to Dickie Grace there are nine of the eleven left in the UK as two have gone to the Southern Hemisphere.