It's Friday, It's Payday, It's a BH weekend! What could possibly go wrong...

Potenza3200

An eventful commute this morning to say the least! I haven't used the car since Festival Italia so thought I'd give her a blast out as the sun is shining today! Driving out of town was no drama and even at one point thought to myself how sweet the car has been running recently!
1st lesson learnt: Don't tempt fate!
As headed up the slip road onto the A34. The car felt great under full acceleration, until I backed off the throttle and noticed plooms of thick smoke from the exhaust and the unmistakable smell of burnt oil. I immediately powered off and coasted a short distance into a lay-by. The AA was great and had a teckie out within 30 mins who inspected the oil level, Coolant etc and couldn't see any signs of trouble. I then fired the old girl up and surprise surprise, she was smoke free!! The guy agreed to follow me whilst I repeated the earlier antics.
Let's just say I'd give the flying Scotsman a run for her money!! The same thick oily smoke billowing from both exhaust sides and the same smell. No signs of leaks and nothing visually out of the ordinary.
The car is now in the garage until my good friends at 3GT Performance have capacity to take her in. She's due a Cam belt and oil service, so perfect timing really
image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpg

conaero

Forum Owner
Thats a shame. Temporary oil out the exhaust can come from the vapour recovery/crank breather, hopefully its just that and not a head gasket gone or worse but suspect its a turbo issue.

This is why you need two Maseratis :)

Potenza3200

Thats a shame. Temporary oil out the exhaust can come from the vapour recovery/crank breather, hopefully its just that and not a head gasket gone or worse but suspect its a turbo issue.

This is why you need two Maseratis :)

I think you may have hit the nail on the head! When i got back from brands, i noticed the oil filler had popped off and there was some oil sprayed in the engine bay (see below link).

The dots appear to be joining...

http://www.maseratiforum.co.uk/Help...and_blowing_oil_out_at_speed_!/m_34424/tm.htm

conaero

Forum Owner
Good to see Matt is consistent with the advice he gave 7 years ago!

In all honesty, I don't remember writing that or the visit to Meridien to have the mod done....so many 3200 problems I had, I have blanked them from my memory :)

TBH, my memory was referring to the Mk1 Jag they did on Wheeler Dealer, same problem.

With a turbo engine though, you fear the worst first as when they go, the go in plumes of smoke.

MAF260

It would be even better if there had just been a prototype that never made it into general circulation!!

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Wtf is happening?! I merely corrected the enormous gaffe our inglourious basterd leader made and I get flack from all quarters, not least from the equivalent of a Morris Marina with Italian electrics made from Russian steel in Greece on a bank holiday Monday. The rest of you snipers can go and boil your head. :D

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
What? You really are messed up! Of course you are, I forgot you are a pongo. :D

drewf

There you go Benny - all you need to do is stick two boomerangs up your ar$e, paint yourself blue and you're in with C!