The "Engine Control System Fault"...

Sommi

... light and error has come on over the weekend!

I have booked it in with Autofficina to diagnose early tomorrow morning.
The car is running as it should with no obvious or noticeable issues.

Anything to check or dreaded fault codes to look out for while at the garage?

Hopefully nothing bankrupting! :conf4:

StuartW

How old is your battery? It could be a low voltage fault code if there is nothing untoward with the running of the car

Get yourself an Autel Diagnostic meter from Amazon £13.00 or so,
This will read codes and allow you to reset them if they are spurious
Saves on a trip to a main dealer. Of course depending on what the codes are and if they repeat a dealer or indie may be required

Sommi

Hi Stuart
New large capacity battery was installed in January!
The car is always on trickle charger. So highly unlikely.

Thanks Dave, I will order one. They seem to be a bit more in the range of £ 50-60 but better to have that handy.
As it is the first time the car has thrown an error at me, I will take it to the garage for peace of mind.

Will drive into London as well after that as traffic isn't too bad due to mid-term holidays!

StuartW

Fair enough for the peace of mind, good luck and enjoy scaring the c**p out of everyone on the way into town!

Sommi

Fair enough for the peace of mind, good luck and enjoy scaring the c**p out of everyone on the way into town!

Thanks Stuart.
Will do. Will make a gloomy Thursday morning way better than the usual cattle commute.

jluis

If you spend a bit more on a wifi OBD adapter, then it will work with both Android, IOS and PC's
I bought this one:
https://www.amazon.de/ScanTool-4261...TF8&qid=1464808052&sr=8-1&keywords=obdlink+mx
It hasn't arrived so I haven't tested it yet.

However, acording to the specs, in adition to working with virtually any platform (unlike the bluetooth ones) it's also much faster than the cheaper ELM327 based units
This means that on modern ECU's if you are doing data logging you can do 80 samples per seconds (80 sensors once per second or 1 sensors 80 times per second)

Only problem I found was that you must follow the steps about when to plug in and when to turn ignition on and the reverse.
If you do not, you risk damaging the tool or worse the car!
A bit like when you put a condom on!

Sommi

Update:
Trip to Autofficina was great as usual. Lovely to see some very shiny metal including a Countach 5000 S!
The errors were related to rear Lambda Sensor being on slow to react but on diagnosis all came out perfect! Phew.
The car had front and ear lambda sensors done in late 2012.
So no further issues and great friendly service as usual.
Drove in through gradually worsening traffic as you head towards central London.

I will invest in one of those Jorge mentioned- the all singing all dancing Wi-Fi one. Haven't bought any car related gadgets lately and this do nicely scratch that itch. :)

Met a new guy Andrew in there who was having his very lovely GranSport looked t.t He did not know of us so will send him an email as he seemed interested in joining.
The GranSport was black with ivory interior, number plate 39** AH or something. Might be someone's on here from previous years.

Also Autofficina have a very lovely spider GranSport for sale - as shiny as new and mega rare - for £ 45 k!

conaero

Forum Owner
Sommi

This will be due to your exhaust. I had full Larini on my first GS and it would, on occasion, throw the same error.

Reset, and you wouldn't see it again for 6 months.

Get yourself one of those cheap OBD error readers off eBay, it will save you time next time.

CatmanV2

Has anyone bought or tried this.

http://www.rakuten.co.uk/shop/ultimatecarparts/product/Wifi-1/?l-id=gb_search_grid_product_5

I have no knowledge of electronics but this appears to be able to be left plugged in to the diagnostics socket and connect to an android tablet or laptop

Last question - whereabouts is the diagnostic socket !

Have something similar. It'll tell you engine parameters only. Socket is next to the fuses under the steering wheel. The cover pulls down. It's quite stiff....

C

jemgee

I have had recurring warning light since buying the car 12 months ago. Back to Sytner/Graypaul 3 times under guarantee. Gave up and went to a local indie.
He did smoke test and found air leak on manifold gaskets so replaced them. Warning light came back on.
Used Cat cleaner and checked plugs and all needed replacing. He checked exhaust gases and it shows Natural Idle test CO pass at 0.189% and 0.280% but fails at fast idle test 0.680 and 0.474, second fail 0.393 and 0.361. Also one lambda fail at 1.075 but second fast idle pass at 1.007

He said that if warning light came back on (which it has) it is the cats that will need replacing.

Tempted to buy the OBD reader and reset as necessary.

Any downsides to this and any thought on cost of replacement cats and or Lambda

Car has only done 41475 miles

GeoffCapes

Not sure if it's the same on QP's as it is on 4200's, but if the cats are going on the 4200 the 'Slow Down' message comes on.