3200 bad day

Almichie

What a great day this started out to be, glorious sunshine driving across the Salisbury plain to work this morning. I get close to the office and a "slow down" lamp came on followed shortly by the CEL. Parked up and came out to make sure all is well and the car won't start. It goes through the boot up process and the beeps finish when turning the key nothing happens! Oddly the outside temperature is also blank, the key pad on the dash isn't functioning for the fog lights and air con, wipers don't operate and the rear window dentist is non functional. I've been through every fuse I can find and the all look to be ok.

I have no tools or the laptop for diagnostics. Any thoughts??

redsonnylee

Had a similar problem last year I check all the battery connectors and the fuses in the boot, the problem went away. At the next serve the battery connector was fund to be faulty.

I always check the battery first when anything arises and keep a tester in the boot permanently.

Contigo

Sponsor
God what is it with 3200's today? One thing to note, USE them more otherwise we hear stories like this all the time. The 3200 needs to be used nearly every day imo

redsonnylee

Ive been using mine on average 5 times a week now, have already blown the mileage limit after six months and so happy.

Almichie

To add, with the ignition on the side lights and rear fog lamps are on no matter the stalk position...

Almichie

I do agree, use minimises problems with this car... It's been in the garage for a while now and thought that I would begin to use to make sure it remains reliable... So much for that!

conaero

Forum Owner
To add, with the ignition on the side lights and rear fog lamps are on no matter the stalk position...

Hum could be a failed bridge can unit. It's located under the dash above the accelerator pedal and controls the dash and thus so the ignition and steering column controls.

Almichie

Hum could be a failed bridge can unit. It's located under the dash above the accelerator pedal and controls the dash and thus so the ignition and steering column controls.

I guess it'll need to go into someone with the correct diagnostic equipment. I'll check and see what I can find, if they're not too expensive I may even try one.

Thanks for all the tips. The car is back home now safe.

jluis

Multiple failure symptoms like you describe point to a bad earth or failed battery but the bad earth is the most likely culprit as it happened while you were driving.

Check the connectors at the battery as already stated

RSM Masser

God what is it with 3200's today? One thing to note, USE them more otherwise we hear stories like this all the time. The 3200 needs to be used nearly every day imo

I think most owners would like that choice!
It's just as well the bonnet hinges are good quality