The good morning thread

GeoffCapes

Morning all. Office bound today.
Will be watching the fallout from the referendum.

Was supposed to be going to my youngest two's sports day today but it has been postponed until Tuesday.

Might just take the Maser out for a razz instead.

MrMickS

Good morning,

Another sunny and hot day down here in the south of France. No bikini clad Russians at breakfast for me.

Cleaned the car before going into the office and found that JCT600 didn't do as good a job on the headlamp washers as I'd hoped. They work but don't go back in place properly.

MAF260

Morning all. WFH today as I suffered almost 6 hours of commuting misery yesterday and couldn't face the prospect again today. Despite the **** that was the London tube network it was a truly brilliant day - MAF senior secured an apprenticeship at the world's largest advertising group, beating hundreds of applicants to a new and very prestigious apprenticeship scheme. He's 18, will be very well paid for his age and lack of experience and will have no debts from attending uni to worry about later in life. I couldn't be happier with this start for him.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Well done to MAF the younger. Brilliant. Uni can be over-rated, in my opinion, and the debts can be crippling. Take debt + salary and he'll be 6 figures ahead of uni-goers by the time they graduate. Good man.

conaero

Forum Owner
Morning all, can we just get on with it now? Camerfoon has given notice (good riddance) let's just hope Wormtail goes with him (Osborne).

Some sites in east & south London Today.

Have fun all...

I have to say I still think Cameron did a great job. Osbourne to I would like to see him retain his job.

conaero

Forum Owner
Morning all. WFH today as I suffered almost 6 hours of commuting misery yesterday and couldn't face the prospect again today. Despite the **** that was the London tube network it was a truly brilliant day - MAF senior secured an apprenticeship at the world's largest advertising group, beating hundreds of applicants to a new and very prestigious apprenticeship scheme. He's 18, will be very well paid for his age and lack of experience and will have no debts from attending uni to worry about later in life. I couldn't be happier with this start for him.

Apprenticeship is the way forward, congrats and well done to Ross

2b1ask1

Special case
Great news Mark; apprenticeship is a great way forward, it has been fantastic for Alex, he is two years in now and still loving every day. The lack of debt is a huge bonus.

Matt, I'm not going to bite as there is enough flinging going on on the other thread but Osborne just makes my skin crawl, nearly as much as Mandy...

CatmanV2

Morning all. That was a very different overnight experience.

Back to a very different home. Have a good one all

C

drewf

Excellent news MAF! Well done Ross :) Being an apprentice doesn't necessarily exclude getting a degree nowadays - possibly the best of both worlds.

MrMickS

Morning all,

Monaco later today then on to Italy. Good new yesterday on the work front so I could be out here more often from October. It also has the potential to turn my single Maserati into the start of a collection :D

Andyk

Mark, great news......bet you are rightly proud...

Morning all.....Birthday party this afternoon for my Uncle who turns 90 today...You wouldn't think so to look at him.

rockits

Nice work MAF junior & senior. Great result. Well done.

I think a university education has become a little saturated & also seems to be an expensive also less valuable thing these days. If it were a business decision I would look at it in a less favourable light for most as the rewards in the main don't warrant the cost in time & financial terms. It can work for some who take a subject that they continue a career in often many white collar jobs such as engineering, accounting, law etc. However I see more people doing generic or unrelated degrees then choose a different path for their career. Little point or value in that these days for me.

It used to be that a degree would display an individual has attained various levels of achievement in organisation skills, reading, writing, research and other valuable skills. This seems to be less the case now in my opinion so naturally has less value to an employer. As an employer I would certainly look at a non-graduate equally as favourably as a graduate. Possibly even more favourably on a non-graduate. Therefore the graduate benefit has reduced or diminished. We are only a small business though and large corporates probably will stipulate a degree as a minimum just to get an interview. However I do think this is wrong & very short sighted of these corporates

These large corporates could learn a great deal from some small businesses in the UK. Many small businesses owners are not that great but many are wiley old campaignors with a very strong/ broad skill set. They often conduct nothing short of miracles with the money & resources they have.

Ross can now use this first platform as a strong start to his career and I too would be very proud of the start he has made in often very difficult times. Certainly the right decision in my book.

2b1ask1

Special case
Morning all, more garage clearing today, starting with the run to the scrap yard, hope I don't break the springs on the 156!!!

Not posting any more on politics on here or FB as it has just got stupid with the backlash of the remainers and others in shock.

Have fun all...

drewf

It used to be that a degree would display an individual has attained various levels of achievement in organisation skills, reading, writing, research and other valuable skills. This seems to be less the case now in my opinion so naturally has less value to an employer. As an employer I would certainly look at a non-graduate equally as favourably as a graduate. Possibly even more favourably on a non-graduate. Therefore the graduate benefit has reduced or diminished. We are only a small business though and large corporates probably will stipulate a degree as a minimum just to get an interview. However I do think this is wrong & very short sighted of these corporates

These large corporates could learn a great deal from some small businesses in the UK. Many small businesses owners are not that great but many are wiley old campaignors with a very strong/ broad skill set. They often conduct nothing short of miracles with the money & resources they have.

Absolutely spot on.

SMEs are in general considerably more flexible and pragmatic about whether or not a candidate has a degree, and rightly so.
Large corporates are living in the past when a degree indicated a significant achievement in skills which could be turned to many work environments. I've seen countless people with degrees who couldn't achieve anything useful in the real world until they had learned the skills required; served an apprenticeship, you might say...

rockits

Agreed. Seems like we are starting to see some big divides near 50/500k in lots of other areas & opinions not just the EU vote. My views & opinions have been strong & similar for all if my life. Some people/businesses need to open their minds a little at the possibility of change and the quest for improvement and to become better, stronger, faster, sharper. The UK needs to do all of these things now more than ever.

D Walker

Morning All,
Headache and rough,
Suspect round 2 starts in about 2 hours!!!
Anyone got a dialysis machine.
Dave
Edit
How wrong was I, Guiness for breakfast!