Quick question

jasst

So, reading through the books, I take it that voice control only works when the phone is connected, and the phone is only connected if you have a sim card inserted, my problem is I don't have a sim card holder, any idea where I can get one ?

spkennyuk

Which car are you talking about jasst ?

If its the 4200 the sim card has to be 2g and its the credit card thing that a standard sim is attached to when you get it.

FIFTY

It only accepts 2g sims??? That's hilarious!

Wouldn't you also need the headset that plugs in the centre console? I'd love to get hold of one of those just for the comedic value of it

spkennyuk

Can you still get 2G sims?

Yes if you do a google search. The 2g /3g ones work i believe but the 3g/4g only ones dont.

They use the 2g ones in gps trackers still. Giff gaff and lebra both do 2g compatable cards but there are others.

As Mr C says the head set is for the privacy option. Was the phone system definately installed on your car ? The sim card slot can be there but no phone kit instaĺled.

If you have got the phone kit then it is easier to forward your call via your existing phone to the sim card on the car as you will end up having a different number for the sim in the car.

jasst

How would I find out if the phone kit is installed? or would I be better fitting a parrot kit, I have a spare couple lying about

CatmanV2

A parrot gives you iPod control as well. I wrote a how to on the install in a 4200.

I think the SIM slot is blanked if you don't have the phone kit

C

spkennyuk

Can you still get 2G sims?

Try sliding a membership card or ruler into the slot where you put the sim card. If you cant put anything in then it is blanked off and you dont have the phone kit. You should also have a phone aerial on the car. What year is your car ? The position of the phone aerial can be different i believe depending on the year.

Tbh parrot is much easier and gives you music as well.

safrane

If its a 4200 with phone system installed you will see the phone icon in the lower left portion of the infotainment system next to the satnav dish icon. If its not there you have neither the software or hardware to run the SIM.

jasst

Ok, thanks for the tips, I cant slide a card into the simcard slot, and I have no phone icon on the infotainment system, so I guess its not installed, parrot it is then.

Corranga

Oh, interesting. Is headset is in the arm rest?
I looked in mine and saw what I thought was a hands free kit left by the previous owner, but maybe it was the privacy kit, perhaps meaning my car has the phone kit.. I quite like the idea of sticking a PAYG sim in and forwarding my mobile to it to receive calls.

Ok, so in reality, I like having another toy to play with!

It's normal to buy a car and not check for things like the phone kit prior to purchase right? :D

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I use a giffgaff SIM card in mine, using the O2 network they still run 2G as well as 3G/4G.
Certainly Three is no good for 2G at all!

CatmanV2

Oh, interesting. Is headset is in the arm rest?
I looked in mine and saw what I thought was a hands free kit left by the previous owner, but maybe it was the privacy kit, perhaps meaning my car has the phone kit.. I quite like the idea of sticking a PAYG sim in and forwarding my mobile to it to receive calls.

Ok, so in reality, I like having another toy to play with!

It's normal to buy a car and not check for things like the phone kit prior to purchase right? :D

It plugs in under the arm rest, I believe. So it may just have been stored there. And yes. When you're more worried about the engine, who GAF about the phone :D

C