Should i buy this car?

2005QP

Hello guys,

Glad I found this forum, hopefully it will lead me to make the right decision, I love cars and always hankered after a Maserati

I have been offered a 2005 QP Duoselect. It has 80,000 miles on it, full service history and in lovely condition, I am aware of the 'clutch issue' and this particular car has had a new on fitted about 10,000m ago. It has had 3 clutch changes in its life time, the first was under warranty for a non-wear related issue.
My main concern is that the car idles roughly and if you hold the revs at 1,800rpm (and only at this point), there is a fast rattle from what I think is the valves (tappets, if it has them!), and the idle is erratic at this point. The oil was changed very recently so probably not thin oil causing it.
Is this rattle/ rough low speed running a feature of the model?
Any replies are most welcome,

Ann.

Andyk

Hi Ann and a big warm welcome to trhe forum.......QP is a lovely car and buy wisely and it will make you smile everytime you look and drive it.......The miles wouldn't bother me if it's priced accordingly. The rough idle I'm sure someone in the know will be along to answer. The clutcu changed 10k ago is good as they can go for anythong from 25k to 40k depending on how its driven and even heard of some longer than that but I believe as a rule its around 30k average.

Rex B

The engine has hydraulic tappets and the noise could be this or from these or the camshaft variators. Before considering a purchase on a QP I would always have an inspection done and from what you have said I would move on from this car as it should not make these noises.

Rex B

safrane

I would advice caution.

The QP has a known issue with their variaitors that control the oil to the tappets. If this is the fault causing your car to rattle I have read of main dealers charging over £4k to put right.

Get it inspected if you want to proceed.

Contigo

Sponsor
Yep for the sake of £300 get an inspection done, if the owner won't allow it then run!

outrun

Depends how cheap it is. With a possible bill of £5k to put right the noise and do other bits and pieces that are likely, it would need to be below £8k or it's not worth it. There are QPs around with no noises for £12-13k.

Not enough info for us to really help but I'd suspect that walking is a good idea.

zagatoes30

Get an inspection and find out what the issue is and how much to resolve. My 4200 has a slight rattle on start up and it is coming from the exhaust manifold on the near side. Emblem advice this is a common problem caused by the inner liner of the manifold coming free. It is a simple repair once the manifold is off but they advise leave it until there is a reason to remove the manifold as it is a lot of labour and is only a minor irritation.

Contigo

Sponsor
The stock manifold and exhaust on these cars are ******* horrible. I had heard that there was an inner thin pipe and an outer pipe (double skinned) but did not believe it until my mate started to hack away at it!

11076751_10153816424095016_7459546393100119342_o.jpg

Oh and the back boxes on these cars have only about a 2" diameter pipe, that's like a Fiesta 1.1L pipe diameter from the 80's! Way to go Maserati!

Contigo

Sponsor
3200, so jokes aside your 4200 and the GS are probably slightly different but from Zagato's comment still double skinned.

Contigo

Sponsor
I mean the same double thickness manifold he mentions with the rattle not the same car!!!! :)

Hi Ann
Consensus seems to be avoid.
I agree, mine had variators done (the cause of a rattle) at a main dealer for £4000
I noticed too you were talking of miles done, others were talking kilometers
I have a QP and it is fantastic I am sure you will find a good un - keep looking