Which tyre brand should I choose for my 20" multi trident rims for my QP Sport GT S

hodroyd

I still like PZero Rosso, personal taste and they are a racing tyre manufacturer. The rear load rating on our cars, because of the grunt going through the rear wheels on hard acceleration, in perticular on foot down from start, is quite high, so the load rating of the tyre has to cope with that, higher rating on the rear and you don't get ballooning on sudden heat up..!!

Mr.Cambio

approx 10k for the rear and double for fronts. I m with Robert, but i think i will try the Michelin supersports in my next tyre change.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I think that P Zeros' are the only choice here to get matching front and back axles as the rears are wider and lower than the 20" on the GT/GC (fronts the same).

Having had a forage round TyreLeader I think you might be right there, Bob.

How do we all feel about non-matching axles?

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not a fan. Different compounds and tread patterns will perform differently. My OCD wouldn't allow it, either!!

Ok, good. Thanks Mark. So I can blame the out-of-sync grip / handling characteristics and pretend it's not the OCD. Anyway if BB's right looks like I'll still be on PZeros at the next change.

bigbob

No I was advising the OP on his QP. SC3 is now approved for the GranTurismo and have them on mine.

Mr.Cambio

..or for high bhp cars, that need Good tyre when taking off. Those extra load are approved by porsche as well.

bigbob

Not sure I can tell any difference which to me is all that I ask. Will report back on tyre life and inside front edge wear as appropriate.

bigbob

A pleasure, tyre prices have fallen lots FWIW in the last year. The Conti's were only a tad cheaper than the P Zeros and will hopefully give the two pairs of rears to one pair of fronts that the P Zeros could not manage.

c4sman

Are Michelin tyres approved for the GT? I find they seem to outlast other brands on my P car and planned to switch to supersports or similar in the next couple of months.

bigbob

Only the P Zero and SC3 but plenty of people on maseratilife appear to be using the Supersports.

c4sman

I guess now that I'm on an independent warranty its a free choice and I definitely will not use Pirelli again as 8k miles isn't good enough in my view as majority of my driving is pretty sedate. Backs are almost down to 3mm and fronts have bad inner edge wear although the alignment is spot on, so a harder wearing tyre is the order of the day I think.

bigbob

I guess now that I'm on an independent warranty its a free choice and I definitely will not use Pirelli again as 8k miles isn't good enough in my view as majority of my driving is pretty sedate. Backs are almost down to 3mm and fronts have bad inner edge wear although the alignment is spot on, so a harder wearing tyre is the order of the day I think.

Exactly same wear pattern here.

That was my logic in going Conti (280 treadwear index vs 240 for P Zero IIRC) but I am still on the two year extended factory warranty. Michelin Super Sports is 320 I think so should do better.

c4sman

Exactly same wear pattern here.

That was my logic in going Conti (280 treadwear index vs 240 for P Zero IIRC) but I am still on the two year extended factory warranty. Michelin Super Sports is 320 I think so should do better.
Turns out you cannot get the supersports for the rear on the GTS at the moment so it looks like I'm stuck with Pirelli. Need to investigate the contis as well but have been given a good price on a full set of K1 pirellelis (prices have certainly dropped).

Struggling to know whether to do the fronts as most of the tyre is between 6-8mm with a thin strip of the inner edge down to 1mm.

Would you change at this point?