New Enthusiast, Newbie Questions

hoyin

I used to have a E60 M5 and now have a 4.7S MC Shift. The MC Shift gearbox is way better than the M5s in auto mode. Test drive both MC shift and auto... I did and preferred the MC Shift!

But I think others are saying the Auto S is much better in auto than the MC Shift.

The Auto in the MC shift is appalling.

The lag in between shifts is long enough for me to make a cup of tea.

MikeyMaser

But I think others are saying the Auto S is much better in auto than the MC Shift.

The Auto in the MC shift is appalling.

The lag in between shifts is long enough for me to make a cup of tea.

I am saying test drive both. I rarely use mine in traffic and prefer the feel of the MC Shift. The lag in auto mode is definitely not as bad as an E60 M5 which lurches like a kangaroo in the slowest gearbox setting unless you feather the throttle between changes.

alfacorse

I have a 4.7 Sport Auto and I can tell that the gearbox works really fine for me, being the right compromise between daily use (even in traffic) and sport driving. But I never tested the MC-shift so I can't make any comparison (I just tested the old BMW SMG and in my opinion that was awful!). For sure, in sport driving I'd prefer to have no sleepage from the torque converter...even if the sleepage is indeed really limited (nothing comparable to an old-style auto gearbox), having no sleepage at all would be even better. So may be that for a 100% sport driving the MC-shift could be the better choice.

By the way, are the gear ratios on the MC-Shift shorter compared to the Auto?

MikeyMaser

You have to remember the MC Shift is a completely different transaxle layout to the auto with different gear ratios and more weight over the rear wheels. It is a similar drivetrain technology to that used in the Ferrari 430 and 599.

darenmil

I'll definatley try both but from what you guys are saying it sounds like the auto is the way to go for me... unfortunately I spend a lot of time in traffic in the week.

At weekends, I'll occasionally go on club runs in it, but I also have the 360 for those.

never say never though!

hoyin

I drive a lot in London. No problem with the MC Shift for me. But I guess it depends what you are used to. All my other cars are full manual with a stick. So paddles are a luxury for me.

habanero

Interesting thread.

As I may take the plunge any time soon I wondered if anybody has compared the MC Shift to a modern Double Clutch Transmission like fitted to my current M3?

Also, are the shift speeds different when switched from paddle to auto?

Would appreciate any thoughts on comparison.

:thumb3:

Andyk

Interesting thread.

As I may take the plunge any time soon I wondered if anybody has compared the MC Shift to a modern Double Clutch Transmission like fitted to my current M3?

Would appreciate any thoughts on comparison.

:thumb3:

Hi, and a big warm welcome to the forum.....

The MC Shift is a great box but you not find it as smooth as your M3 as it's a single clutch unit unlike most of the modern boxes. Don't let that put you off as you will be missing a great car in the GT S.......A totally different type of car to you lovely V8 M3 though....

Auto.......no one used the auto on an MC shift I would imagine.....because it's rubbish........If you want Auto buy the GT S full Auto.

Is that your M3 in the picture...Looks familiar...YOu had it long.

hodroyd

I think most cars in plain auto are slow changes, pop it in to sport and the thing wakes up, otherwise it's driving Miss Daisy stuff..!!

c4sman

Someone using the car in traffic a lot is definitely better off with full auto, and with the later sport auto you get the noise of the mc cars at all rpm. I don't do a huge amount of traffic work as the car is mainly for family fun and found the mc simply more interesting and exciting to drive than the sport auto on a back to back drive. Both are great options but a back to back drive is the way to go as my mind was made up immediately (in the opposite way to preconceived idea formed from reading lots). Both boxes are all good but I love my MC shift, apart from getting caught in a long long creeping tailback on a steep hill, but that's pretty rare for me :)

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member

Hi habanero, and welcome. To answer your question: yes. Ice ages come and go. Governments rise and fall. Tumbleweed blows across the road. And then the Maserati MC 'box in auto finally finds a cog. Different story in manual mode. It's very quick and a joy to drive.

habanero

Guys, firstly thank you for the warm welcome and the info. I clearly need to just get out test drive some cars, probably at Meridian in Hampshire this weekend.

As you will see I've been loitering for a long time, joining in 2012 and this being my 1st post!!! A great forum.

And AndyK, I've had the M3 for just over 2 years and post on some other forums under Sheriff. It was also in Car Magazine's readers pics bit once. This one was taken on the Stelvio Pass on one of my yearly Euro-trips, this one being called The Alpine Run in 2013. The stickers were for the trip. After the 996TT it took some getting used to but I must say that it truly is a great car albeit missing some drama of a an Italian thoroughbred.

:thumb1:

Classico

Bit biased, but for sheer exclusivity and feel good factor, very few cars come close to a Maser.

Only way to fly.

Andyk

2nd the above.....There are faster cars, better handling cars but none of them are a Maserati...

Andyk

Guys, firstly thank you for the warm welcome and the info. I clearly need to just get out test drive some cars, probably at Meridian in Hampshire this weekend.

As you will see I've been loitering for a long time, joining in 2012 and this being my 1st post!!! A great forum.

And AndyK, I've had the M3 for just over 2 years and post on some other forums under Sheriff. It was also in Car Magazine's readers pics bit once. This one was taken on the Stelvio Pass on one of my yearly Euro-trips, this one being called The Alpine Run in 2013. The stickers were for the trip. After the 996TT it took some getting used to but I must say that it truly is a great car albeit missing some drama of a an Italian thoroughbred.

:thumb1:

WOuld you be on M3cutters by any chance....Thats where I may have seen it if so..

hodroyd

I never notice Beamers, Porches, Mercs and such anymore, they are so common and have no real interest, or desire for me..!!