Throttle body

FLORADAEDD

Hi I have been unable to log onto forum for a while as I changed internet supplier and lost my old email address along with all my passwords address book and so on. Has anyone seen the ELECTRONIC CONTACTLESS ETM THROTTLE BODY POSITION SENSOR MASERATI 3200GT 3.2 T On Ebay (item 221578424267) and if so has anybody fitted it. I have a problem with the car revving up and down on idle and have been told it is the throttle body. Re con unit from the Maserati shed is £399 on an exchange basis. That is not a bad price at all but if this unit will do the same then I would be saving £300.
Any body any advise please. Thanks Edd

conaero

Forum Owner
It's quite tricky to do and you may end up ruining the unit and having to buy a brand new one, is it worth it for £400, I think not but I understand where your coming from.

The TB is filled with hot glue to stop it being serviced. You have to drill it all out with a pillar drill and you need to know exactly where to do it.

If it came with full instructions I might consider doing it, if not there is no way I would go in blind.

jluis

Ask the seller to send you the full instructions prior to buying it so you can judge the difficulty for yourself.
Drilling out the glue without screwing the PCB is the hard bit.
If you are considering taking the learning path instead of just saving a few quid, you could try buying a faulty unit from a breaker to do a dry run.
They are the same as the units used on some volvo's with the difference being the software inside and the diameter of the throttle.

Contigo

Sponsor
Get it done by someone who knows or does them regularly. As Matt says the process involves drilling anti-tamper material and soldering parts etc... plus the calibration part. I can guarantee you will mess it up!

RSM Masser

I would recommend the recon unit from Roberts Aerospace, he knows his stuff.
I would not fancy delving into the depths of the unknown with a drill.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
I'd recommend Mike too, he's the go to man, I use him whenever I need one doing.

Billy3200

Mike recently (last month)"reconditioned" my original unit to now be contactless as I understand it - driving experience has been greatly improved. Having an erratic throttle as well as, what can only be described as, an immediate clutch had previously made smooth progress difficult.
Maybe another way to look at it is if you ever come to sell your car - I am not sure I would pay much for a car where the owner had "given it a go" to rebuild the throttle body of 370bhp car! I may just be a coward!

FLORADAEDD

I have asked them to send instruction s but no reply yet!!!
After thinking about it the and advise I have had from members I will go down the road of leaving it to people who know what they are doing.
If I try and fail then a new/re-con unit would be a lot more expensive.
Its the last job on my "to-do" list so hopefully get it sorted and enjoy the car.
I love the car, the sound with the middle x pipe removed and my Sports rear box's from Mario at Autoshield make me smile and turns lots of heads.
Gearbox done at Mario's, new discs and pads all round, New starter, A/C all sorted and working fine, re-ferb on the propshaft, front & rear drop links, full silicone hose set, paintwork, alloy wheel re-ferb, New tyres, seats treated and re-coloured, auto box cooler hoses replaced, timing belt just done, full service, wiper motor repaired, newer Becker unit with sat-nav fitted, and I'm sure there will be something I forgot but hopefully no more big jobs for a while.
Just remembered the display on the dash showing what gear you are in( P. N. D. 1.so on) is not working so at least one more job then.

allandwf

I have spoken to Mike about mine, sent him pics, confirmed original. I will also be going to him in the new year to get mine done, will also do the pedal pot. Had one CEL first year, then 3 the next year, now becoming more frequent one every month or two now, easily cleared but inconvenient.