First day of the ski season

drewf

I live here Nikos!

As a good few of the SM crowd who came here for lunch enroute to Modena will attest, it's not even a very big chateau... There was barely room to park the Maseratis on a quarter of one of the lawns....

CatmanV2

I live here Nikos!

As a good few of the SM crowd who came here for lunch enroute to Modena will attest, it's not even a very big chateau... There was barely room to park the Maseratis on a quarter of one of the lawns....

Indeed. Terribly cramped. We would have bee totally stuffed if we wanted to play more than three or four games of croquet!

C

Mr.Cambio

I live here Nikos!

I know Drew. It was just a joke from my side. Apologies.

drewf

Apologies? We are only having a laugh Nikos, there's no need to apologise at all!

I do feel though for the poor sods in tiny cramped ski apartments with nothing to do. I've been there, and I'd rather cancel the holiday than go through that again!

LDM 3200

You have to feel sorry for those that have booked for snow and skiing and also the many people who rely on the business. Hopefully conditions will improve quickly although it doesn't seem likely until after Christmas. We are not heading out to Flaine for the last week of Jan / first week of Feb but are still a bit nervous.

drewf

Well, I have 'some' good news for you LDM - it snowed a tiny amount overnight, but there's a foot of snow expected on Christmas Day, and the same a few days later. I can see a bit of Flaine from the terrace here (mostly Les Carroz to be fair, but the top of Flaine is visible over the lower LC crest), and it's not pretty right now. However, there's a long time between now and the end of January... I expect we will be able to have a day in Flaine after Christmas.

LDM 3200

Thanks for the reply!

Some would say Flaine is never a pretty! Although I like it and appreciate the way it was designed to be less visible from the mountains.

I appreciate things could / should be better by the time we arrive but you still can't help but worry. It is a real shame for those that booked early season or over Christmas.

I hope you get some good skiing in!

drewf

I like Flaine as a place to ski for a day, especially as it's only 12km from here. It gets very busy at weekends though, since it's so close to Geneva/Annemasse etc.

Here's a photo I took in Flaine last season - it's far from ugly... This was on the 2nd March 2014. There's just one person in the photo...

Flaine 020314 lores.jpg