Possible Ghibli Purchase Advice

Alfaduden

Subito.it
And more... Hehe
The silver in Rimini that Dickyb refer to are a good candidate. I have a plan to visit him, but he never answer the phone or mail... He also have a black GT for sale in Treviso. This make me suspicious... Same guy, different usernames and cars for sale in two different "commune"... :no:
I have an Italian friend who also tried to reach him...
There is also a nice one in Spain for sale. Autoscout.es have a few. http://ww3.autoscout24.es/classified/245493277?asrc=st|as
You can also try France. I have seen a couple on leboncoin.fr.

Alfaduden

that does sound a little suspicious! Is this the black car you are referring to?

http://www.subito.it/auto/maserati-ghibli-gt-treviso-108626702.htm

Its been for sale for at least 2 years, it disappears for a few months then the advert re-appears with the same description and the same photos (nice Lamborghini tractor in the background!)...

Spot on sir! I Don't think I'll bother going down there. I have three Ghiblis in a 4 hour radius near Milano and three days to see them. Probably not necessary, as I have already decided... ;)

Alfaduden

A silver GT with black interior. Seller is a dentist. Garage car full of documentation... Looks mint on pictures recieved on e-mail. But have to see and try it first. hehe :)

Guv

I am after a GT or possibly Cup depending on price. That silver car looks very nice too however I have had quite a few silver\grey\black cars so I am thinking that if I'm going for some Italian metal, I might as well go the whole hog and get one in a more livelier colour. Red is probably my favourite at the moment but would consider any colour which is a bit more interesting as the UK is full of silver\grey cars.

Alfaduden

I am after a GT or possibly Cup depending on price. That silver car looks very nice too however I have had quite a few silver\grey\black cars so I am thinking that if I'm going for some Italian metal, I might as well go the whole hog and get one in a more livelier colour. Red is probably my favourite at the moment but would consider any colour which is a bit more interesting as the UK is full of silver\grey cars.

Agree Guv. I'd love any shade of blue on a Ghibli, but they does not grow on trees these cars. I have to take what I get... Besides, silver really point out the beautiful lines of the car. And with black interior it is classic... It will never go out of style.

dickyb

One of the reasons I love the Ghibli is that it is a fairly discrete car and not many people know what it is, I think that subtle colours help to keep the low key look. i think they look particularly good in blue, black, grey, green, and silver is particularly nice. Personally I don't like them in bright red or yellow, I think it spoils their subtlety.

This one may be one to consider, its a nice colour called Rosso Oriente. Its been for sale for ages but the advert has recently been updated, originally there were no engine bay photos and no mention of the month of registration so being a 1995 it could have been an ABS or a GT. The seller has now posted some engine bay pictures and confirmed that it has the Ferrari diff so it is definitely a GT:

http://www.subito.it/auto/maserati-ghibli-2000c-biturbo-1995-barletta-andria-trani-18923824.htm

Guv, I think you will be in for a long wait if you want a Cup, I only know of 1 for sale at the moment and its quite a leggy car with over 100000 miles in Holland, the seller is asking 29500 euros.

Here's an example of a car that could catch out the unwary, its not described as a GT but being registered in 1997 you would expect it to be a GT. Its probably an import from Italy and was probably registered in Germany in 1997 but is probably an early 1995 car:

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-insera...Freetext=false&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&noec=1

Alfaduden

One of the reasons I love the Ghibli is that it is a fairly discrete car and not many people know what it is, I think that subtle colours help to keep the low key look. i think they look particularly good in blue, black, grey, green, and silver is particularly nice. Personally I don't like them in bright red or yellow, I think it spoils their subtlety.

This one may be one to consider, its a nice colour called Rosso Oriente. Its been for sale for ages but the advert has recently been updated, originally there were no engine bay photos and no mention of the month of registration so being a 1995 it could have been an ABS or a GT. The seller has now posted some engine bay pictures and confirmed that it has the Ferrari diff so it is definitely a GT:

http://www.subito.it/auto/maserati-ghibli-2000c-biturbo-1995-barletta-andria-trani-18923824.htm

Guv, I think you will be in for a long wait if you want a Cup, I only know of 1 for sale at the moment and its quite a leggy car with over 100000 miles in Holland, the seller is asking 29500 euros.

Hold on Dickyb. This rosso Victoria that is in the link is still not a GT as I can see from the engine bay photo. There is no braided fuel line to the left side of the engine bay. The one there are going to the left, but aren't they supposed to be braided?

dickyb

Hold on Dickyb. This rosso Victoria that is in the link is still not a GT as I can see from the engine bay photo. There is no braided fuel line to the left side of the engine bay. The one there are going to the left, but aren't they supposed to be braided?

Aaah, this is where things get a little more complicated, sorry to confuse you. Very early GTs didn't have a braided fuel hose, they were just rubber hoses. This is a '95 car so is an early GT. You will see there is no hose coming from the right side of the engine bay but you can see that the rubber hose goes off to the left of the engine bay.

Please excuse the state of my engine bay but here is a picture of my very poorly December '95 2.0 GT.

P1030956i.jpg

As you can see there are no braided hoses in there but here is the Ferrari diff:

P1030962i.jpg

Alfaduden

But the 1995 GT i will see in Italy has braided hose to the left... Confusing...
Thanks for clarifying tho. Guess the diff is the only guaranteed way of identifying a GT?

Still the 95 Ghibli in the Netherlands are not a GT. You can clearly see the fuel hose going to the right, even though a small piece is braided...

dickyb

Correct, later GTs and Cups have the braided hose to the left, early non-GTs have the braided pipe to the right so an easy way to tell them apart is to look in the engine bay. Early GTs are more complicated as they used a rubber pipe instead of the braided hose but it still comes into the engine bay on the left side as you look at the front of the car. The best way to confirm an early GT is to look at the diff, on later cars you can also identify a GT by the lack of a (dummy) fuel filler on the left side of the car, but early GTs still had them. Early GTs are a little more difficult to identify but the later cars are much easier.

Alfaduden

So your December 95 GT does not have braided fuel hose, while the May 95 GT I have in mind does... hehe It does have a huge rear wheel tubular subframe with ferrari diff and dummy fuel filler cap though... ;)

dickyb

:) told you it was confusing!! Interesting that yours has a braided pipe. I think we can come to the conclusion that some early GTs had them and some didn't, being a low volume model you will differences in the parts used, I think it depends on what was at hand on the production line. You will also find that quite a few cars were not registered for a some time after being manufactured, here in the UK I've seen a couple of GTs that were registered before a few ABS cars, if you didn't know anything about them you'd assume that the ABS cars were newer than the GTs. As we said, later GTs are relatively easy to distinguish as they have a number of features not seen on earlier cars. If the car is a 1995 you really need to look more closely at the diff to be certain its a GT as they still have some of the early features such as the left side dummy fuel filler. As long as the car you are looking at has a diff like the one in the photo, you can be sure its a GT.